Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 5:40:12 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a Kobra for my AR.  Any of you have one?  What do you think of them on the AR.  They seem to have a big following with the AK crowd.  Do you recommend the 1st gen or the second?  Any suggestions of where to buy them would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
guns
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy,

You seem to be in the know about this stuff.  Do you know if the Hakko sight will co-witness?  I saw one of these on a Tromix upper that had no front sight.  It looks like it probably will, but I wasn't really thinking about that when I looked at it. I'll probably get an Aimpoint, but I like the size & display of the Hakko.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the newest and best version of the Kobra, I believe it was the EKP-8-01S or something like that..(cant remember exact name).  Anyway, I did not use it on a real AK47, but on an Airsoft ak47.  I was not very happy with the scope.  Mounting it required drilling of holes for the EKP side mount plate into the reciever.  Even though I measured carefully, these holes were slightly off I guess, and the scope would not adjust vertically enough to get the thing within a few feet of the target at 100 feet which was what I was trying to do.  So I bought a new reciever, and tried the procedure over again.  Once again, could not get it the firing point within adjustment.  So I could never use the scope really.  However, I will say this -- it looks cool, it has a nice mix up of reticles which are all very nice for close quarters.  Oh the other thing I didn't like was that the locking lever wouold never go down all the way so I was always afraid it would get bumped open and then fall off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
sTU505 YOU DIDNT GET GOOD  results with the Kobra because you didnt use it for what it was meant for, it was not designed for a Toy (airsoft) it was designed for a real Gun, its a Battle sight not a toy or a Moa range type sight , itsa battle sight meant to get a AK on target fast.
Like the Gun it was designed for the Kobra is tough, reliable , and practical.

Most of the modern western made electronic sights are way too delicate, they spends most of thier lives in the Mail as they always have to be sent back to be repaired or something, like a AK a Kobra hardly ever breaks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I really like my Kopba on my AK, but don't use the one I bought for my AR's.  

Side note, they are different.  The AR models mount to flat top rails, unlike the AK side mount.  There are two AR types, thumbscrew and throw lever.  I got the throw lever.  As Troy stated, it is just too tall, and you can't use Iron sights.  The small (1 moa) dot is cool, as is the multiple reticle patterns, and If you need the irons and you have the throw lever you can just rip it off, but I still ended up not using it.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
"sTU505 YOU DIDNT GET GOOD results with the Kobra because you didnt use it for what it was meant for, it was not designed for a Toy (airsoft) it was designed for a real Gun"

would you care to explain how this has anything to do with the reason it did not work for me?  Because it would not have made any difference.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the thumbscrews type.

Pros:
*is made very strong and is reliable
*cheap ($100 from Russia)
*choice of dot types and intensity
*I disagree with Troy, is not junk just not designed for the AR ( I have one on each of my AKs and it works great there)

Cons:
*It does not cowitness with the iron sights as it mounts too high.
*it won't win any beauty contest

All in all, is not bad, but if you have the money go for the Aimpoint.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15635[/img]

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What he meant was that you need to go to Toys R US to find the right sights for your BB gun.  We are talking about battle rifles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

would you care to explain how this has anything to do with the reason it did not work for me?  Because it would not have made any difference.
View Quote

You don't think a 5.45mm is more accurate at 100ft than a plastic pellet? [%|]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If you couldn't properly mount the scope rail on your reciever that's on you, not your Cobra.  Real Euro AKs have the side rail already mounted.  

If your throw lever is too loose you need to adjust it to be tighter.  Look at it closely and you will readily see what you need to do.  If it is loose enough to be bumped off, it needs adjustment.

The Cobra is capable of an ass load of adjustment as far as vertical and horizontal POI.  If you can't get it on target at 100 feet either:  a.) you don't know how to get the full range of adjustment (get an English manual off the net, its more complex than a regular scope) or b.) the bullet drop from a airsoft bullet is far more extreme than from a bullet, and it exceeds the adjustment in the optic.  In that case you're screwed. Or c.) both.

The Cobra kicks ass on a Kalishnakov.  The only real problem is the difficulty of adjustment.

It is out of place on an AR/M-16.  Get something else.

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I will give one of my famous reserved and politically correct opinions:  The Kobra is a piece of shit compared to other available optics out there.  To say you get what you pay for is an understatement.  The problems with the Kobra are as follows:

I dropped the rifle onto grass from a height of 2 feet and the powere switch broke and it was stuck in the on position.
The power switch was a pain in the ass to use anyway so I just used to reticle intensity switch as my power switch.
Several of the LEDs that made up some of the other reticles burned out over about a years time.  Dont know if they burned out or just broke but there were gaps in the reticles.
The thing eats bateries fast.  Got a rechargable battery set just for this optic.
It has blue tinted glass.  This makes it difficult to use accurately at night.
Its only rain proof.  Its not water proof.  Black goo does not look like its very evenly distributed.  If you drop it in a puddle it will probably go tits up.
Its not quick detatch.
It wont cowitness.
Its big and heavy.
Its a pain in the ass to sight in.
It wont track reliably.

On the other hand its cheap and never broke on me and holds its zero.  If all you want is a cheapo optic Id get a BSA red dot or OKO.  Please note my Kobra was a previos generation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a M4'gery with an Eotech and a Sar2 with a new Kobra. Never thought about switching the optics around, just doesn't seem right. They are both fine setups. I would take either one in a heartbeat. I will say this though, the Kobra is no piece of junk. I agree with going with the OKO for an inexpensive option. I have one on a CZ 75 pistol and like it alot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top