Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2003 7:37:23 PM EDT
So does anyone use  notch and post-type iron sights on your AR besides me?

I have a flat top BM 16" HBAR and a BM flip up rear sight.  I had my smith mill the appetures so they're like a traditional notch rear sight.  I then put the flip up rear sight out toward the muzzle on the flat top.  

This is a similar set up to the AK sights and is great for close quarters speed shooting!  I've personally never liked a peep sight for close in, fast shooting.  It's an individual taste thing, but I can acquire a flash sight picture much faster with this set up.

This set up is NOT good for distance shooting, however.  Anything over 50 years and you're better of with the standard AR peep setup.  With the rear sight on the muzzle edge of my flat top and a 16" barrel, my sight radius is only 6-7 inches (I'm guessing) - thus making this set up not ideal for anything but close in hosing.  

However, with a 20" upper or a 16" Dissipator upper, I'd add several inches to sight radius.

Has anyone else tried this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look, you'll surely notice that [b]ALL[/b] rifles that use a notch rear sight generally mount them forward on the rifle, usually out on the barrel. This is because if it's too close, as where the AR irons are, it'll be so far out of focus as to be a useless blur. For REALLY up close shooting, it might be ok, but for a GP sight, a  rear-mounted notch is worthless on an AR. Aperture rear sights are mounted toward the rear for the same reason, only in reverse; too far forward, and THEY become useless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The elimination of notch and post sights on military rifles was considered a quantum leap in better sights.  

With a rear peep sight you only have to see the target and front sight, not the target, front sight, and rear sight.  Hard to focus on three things at once.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't imagine replacing the infinitely superior peep system with notch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
My Thompson has a rear notch, it's utterly useless.  Like Zardoz said, when it's placed too close the eye only sees a blur, the notch might as well not be there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys,

My notch rear sight IS out toward the muzzle - it's a flip up model that's on the front edge of the flat top receiver.  

I was actually looking other peoples' experiences based on experimentation with the AR sights.  Experimentation is good, even if it results in finding out how NOT to do something . . .  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top