Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 6:37:46 PM EDT
If so which ones and how low can you go without a front sight base? Should I just buy an Armalite mount?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested in this one too.  My AR is more of a CQB setup, but I would like to see what I could do with it out a few hundred yards.  Looking to pick up an inexpensive scope and rings just to toy with.  Curious as to what height it needed for proper cheekweld.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a RRA mount on my Colt it has the front sight post and wears a Leupold 1.75-6 it's high enough that the front sight is a minor blur in the bottom of the scope if it gave about .5" more eye relief it would be perfect. My new project is a Bushmaster with no front sight, I'm trying to get a scope mounted as low as possible and still be comfortable. Both guns are 16" HBARs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a set of Warne QD rings...here's a pic:

That's a 40mm objective, and I'm pretty sure those are the high rings...don't think I would have ordered anything lower.  As you can see, there is no room at all for even an ARMS #40 under there...I think Warne makes an extra high, so I might even think of those if I were you.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]

The bottom rifle has "Warne 1" Quick Detach Steel Rings  HIGH MATTE" rings on a GG&G scout length riser.  The scope has a 40mm objective.  Cabela's has the best price I could find on Warne rings, BTW.

For comparison, the top rifle has an RRA 1-piece mount and a 50mm objective.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoplophile...'sup!  Is that an Olympic barrel on the bottom rifle....if so, which one?  I just got two, a 20" SUM, and a 16" match.  Haven't shot either one, but I"m gonna try to get out Thursday night to the NRA to try 'em out.  I got Friday off, headed down to Tech for the GF's son's graduation...he be a ROCKET SCIENTIST lol.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Bottom rifle is a 20" SUM barrel, top rifle is a 24" RRA varmint barrel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
How does the SUM shoot?  Are you happy with it?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using the 30mm Quick Detach rings on top of an ARMS #38.

And you should talk with C4iGrant before you buy from Cabelas.  

His price was very competetive, his customer support is outstanding, and he supports the board.

*Edited for piss-poor grammar.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top