Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2004 4:35:32 PM EDT
Does anyone use a lube called Milltech or somthing of the sort?

Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're referring to Mili-Tec 1...

It's pretty good, but I don't think it's worth the price they ask (I mostly use FP-10). I used it during a course a couple of weeks back. Ended up going through almost 2000-rds in three days, no malfunctions. I know that's not anything spectacular, but I did see quite a few others go down several times with FTFs/FTEs/etc. that were using just CLP.

Keeping in mind I never cleaned the rifle during that time, I just lubed the bolt assembly about three times during the shoot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't protect from rust at all practically.  Also, it is not a CLP, just a lube IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Its a really good lube.  If your rifle isn't used in the field like the military it should serve you well.  I use it and clean with CLP and Kroil.  About twice a year I clean the barrel with Sweets 7.62 and Hoppe's No 9.  I run it almost completely dry but lube with Militec-1 for the lube.  I've only had jams from bad mags, a whopping total of 3 out of 3000 rounds fired, replaced that mag and haven't had a problem since.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I use it on my ArmaLite M15A2. Last June I used a toaster oven to slow bake it on the bolt and bolt carrier, the used a thin coat over each again. I also ran a few wet patches down the barrel.
When I brought it out shooting I didn't have any problems at all.  

I must add that I haven't cleaned this rifle since the application of Mili-Tec, and this is by choice I want to see how long this stuff really lasts.  I have wiped the Bolt off, but no lube put back on it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The chemicals in Mili-Tec type lubes were developed as additives for other lubricating products, but have been valuable in helping our GI's overcome fouling and jamming in the harsh middle-eastern desert....or so I've been told. It's a case of the best tool for the job under the circumstances.

That doesn't mean you won't find it useful, where ever you are, but CLP is cheaper and versatile. If I were in Iraq I'd use Mili-Tec, but if you can use CLP w/o malfuntions, it is a more useable all around product. I still may do some Mili-Tec baking myself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear the term Mil-tec used.  Is it not called Mil-Comm?
I cleaned and lubed my colt M4 this past weekend.  It is a bit more effort, but I only hear good things.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Militec-1 and Mil-comm are completely different products and companies.
Militec-1 is a chlorinated EP oil additive.
http:www.militec1.com
Mil-comm makes PTFE based weapons specific lubricants/protectants and a cleaner.
www.mil-comm.com/
Raymond
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]
After mitec rusted the sh*& out of my kimber slide in one day of carry, i will not use the stuff anymore. there are products out there that lube just as well and give rust protection as well as clean.
EZZOX, G-96, BreakFree CLP, FP-10 (either brand) all great forms of CLP.
Mil-comm and tetra lubes just a notch down on the rust prevent but excellent lube.

There are more snake oils out there for firearms than snakes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Militec on almost all of my guns and have not had any problems with rust.  It is a great lubricant.  My brother in Iraq says it also works great over there when many other lubes do not, especially CLP.  CLP tries to do too many things and doesn't do any of them really well in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Militec only on moving parts and contact points. It is a synthetic lube which is "supposed" to protect parts from wear better than CLP. I use Break Free as my rust inhibitor.

Keep in mind that I have never run my AR through any type of "torture testing", therefore I can neither confirm nor deny that the Militec actually does what it claims.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top