Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:29:06 PM EDT
Is this stuff all hyped up?  I got a bottle for free that I never touched.  Read an Army document that said the stuff didn't protect against corrosion.  However the stuff does lubricate like it is advertised.  Also what do you guys used for solvent?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been discussed many times on arfcom.  People seem to be one side or the other on this lube.  The CLP advocates seem to hate it.  The people that use it seem to love it.  My suggestion is to try it out, do some testing & experimenting, and formulate your own opinion.

For what it's worth, that is all that I use for a lubricant.  It works great for me.  I was introduced to it when I purchased a Barrett M99 .50BMG.  Barrett requires you to use it for break-in.  I did some testing with militic, raw metal, and a heat gun and I liked the results.  When I got my Gemtech HALO silencer, they also recommended militec.

For cleaning, I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner & compressed air for an initial flush, followed by a swab down of iso-alcohol, then Butches Bore Shine (bore) and good old hoppes (receiver area and charging handle) and swabbed with iso-alcohol again then dried.  My BCG gets dismantled and cleaned in a ultrasonic cleaner.  Then everything gets lubed with militec and re-assembled.  I wipe down the outside of my rifle with Kroil on a rag.  Even though militec's claim to fame is the ability to be a dry lube, there is no need to remove the synthetic oil unless you live in the desert.  Dual lubrication is good.

As far as corrosion protection -- no, that's not militec's primary purpose.  Of course, it has a synthetic oil base which will prevent corrosion as well as any standard oil will but it does not have anti-corrosion additives.  Maybe if I took my rifle for a dip in the salt water ocean every week I may use something else but I have never seen a trace of corrosion on any of my rifles using militec.  What I have noticed is less wear than the rifles that I had lubed with CLP.  CLP, IMHO, is only good for a non-sandbox battlefield where you need to get er done quick and get back to spraying bullets.  I have a couple of bottles of CLP in case of SHTF.  Hell, in Vietnam, they used diesel fuel for a clean and lube.

Again, my suggestion is to try it out, do some testing, experimenting & comparisons, and formulate your own opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It would be better off used in your trany or crank case  than in your gun.      It was designed as an oil additive, not as a stand alone product.  Check out their website and you will see that it is used for automotive purposes.

For more information on Militec, check out these threads:
Thread #1   Post #5

Thread #2   Post #18

Plenty of good information there, and the reasons why I will not use it.

I would recommend FP10 or Corrosion X as a general CLP for firearms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It would be better off used in your trany or crank case  than in your gun.      It was designed as an oil additive, not as a stand alone product.  Check out their website and you will see that it is used for automotive purposes.

For more information on Militec, check out these threads:
Thread #1   Post #5

Thread #2   Post #18

Plenty of good information there, and the reasons why I will not use it.

I would recommend FP10 or Corrosion X as a general CLP for firearms.

I don't know about it not being designed for firearms...on my bottles it says firearms right on the back.  I use it as a lube on both my issue weapons and have no probs, even in sandstorms.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't know about it not being designed for firearms...on my bottles it says firearms right on the back...
 Well what else would it say given that they're dying to sell to shooters...sounds like my grandmother, she used to say if she had testicles she'd be my grandfather
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say the "stuff" is hyped beyond belief....if it weren't happening.
I also consider the sales tactics of the subject company to have crossed into the realm of criminally insane. Of course facts aren't what they deal in as snake-oil salesmen.

It provides no corrosion protection, or solvents to clean..... other than that, I suppose "it" is great for something. I can afford to buy any product or multitude of products for my weapons.... & use CLP.
Anyone notice that "it" turns dark & putrid after aging in the bottle?
Not for me, thanks!

I bet the label was custom designed for firearms use

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the free sample a few years ago.  I used it.  It worked as a lube, that's all I cared to use it for.

I am a clp user for cleaning.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't know about it not being designed for firearms...on my bottles it says firearms right on the back...
 Well what else would it say given that they're dying to sell to shooters...sounds like my grandmother, she used to say if she had testicles she'd be my grandfather

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I also consider the sales tactics of the subject company to have crossed into the realm of criminally insane. Of course facts aren't what they deal in as snake-oil salesmen.

It provides no corrosion protection, or solvents to clean..... other than that, I suppose "it" is great for something. I can afford to buy any product or multitude of products for my weapons.... & use CLP.
Not for me, thanks!

I bet the label was custom designed for firearms use

Hotgun

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a lubricant....period.

It is not designed to clean, so it won't clean your rifle.

It is not designed with anti-corrosive properties, so it will not protect in harsh environments...(if you're only shooting paper people at your local indoor range, or cans at your local gravel pit....your rifle isn't in danger of corroding away, lighten up).

It IS, however, designed to bond to metal as a dry lube, be that metal on a car or a firearm....it will bond to it and have lubricaive properties.  And it does this very, very well.

Try it. don't be afraid, you may actually like it.

Quoted:
Is this stuff all hyped up?  I got a bottle for free that I never touched.  Read an Army document that said the stuff didn't protect against corrosion.  However the stuff does lubricate like it is advertised.  Also what do you guys used for solvent?

One question...If you've never touched your bottle, how do you know it lubes like advertised?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
"MILITEC-1 is ideal for firearms that are exposed to harsh weather conditions. After proper application, a light coat of MILITEC-1 is highly corrosion resistant - approximately three times more effective in preventing rust than MilSpec CLP. This will cut down on damage caused by damp weather, and makes MILITEC-1 especially useful for firearms carried on motorcycles, bicycles or boats."

That is right from the horse mouth, unfort it full of bullshit.

milly tec

only way I would recomend its use is as a 10% mixture in regular oil.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not for me, thanks!

I bet the label was custom designed for firearms useHotgun

I am not a scientist and I don't know about all the cleaning and lubricating products available. I do know on my Springfield XD, that has the worst track record for rusting on its original finish, that CLP did not protect my XD from rust on one of my hiking trips where I was very sweaty and then completely drenched by rain.  When I removed my XD from the hip belt side case the day I returned home, the whole slide was completely rusted.  I spent the next hour with steel wool and some cleaning solution to get all of the rust off, heated sections of the slide with a hair dryer so they were warm to the touch, and applied Militec to the slide.  That was over a year ago and guess what, I have not had a single spec of rust show up on my XD since!  HYPE?  Not what I believe!  Corrosion resistant?  Just ask anyone who owns an XD how quick they are to rust, mine hasn't in over a year thanks to Militec. I have tried to use it without heating the metal up and it does not work as well.  This was stated in the directions from Militec.   Thanks, Wj
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Talk to the "Boys" who are serving in Iraq.........They love "Militec"  I got a bottle from one of my buddies, who worked in the supply room And I know when my "Old unit" leaves for the "Big Sandbox" this year . There's going tobe allot of CLP,and militec going with them!

I wish I was going

19yrs guard
MOS  63B,11B, 43E
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Talk to the "Boys" who are serving in Iraq.........They love "Militec"  I got a bottle from one of my buddies, who worked in the supply roomhock.gif And I know when my "Old unit" leaves for the "Big Sandbox" this year . There's going tobe allot of CLP,and militec going with them!

I wish I was goinghr

Used Tuf-Glide for 4 months in Iraq (OIF2), then Mili-Tec for the other 8. I had great enough success with it, I had my company commander insist on all weapons to be lubed so. Not one FTF or other malfunction for the rest of our tour.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Talk to the "Boys" who are serving in Iraq.........They love "Militec"  I got a bottle from one of my buddies, who worked in the supply room And I know when my "Old unit" leaves for the "Big Sandbox" this year . There's going tobe allot of CLP,and militec going with them!

I wish I was going

19yrs guard
MOS  63B,11B, 43E

Used Tuf-Glide for 4 months in Iraq (OIF2), then Mili-Tec for the other 8. I had great enough success with it, I had my company commander insist on all weapons to be lubed so. Not one FTF or other malfunction for the rest of our tour.

We were ordered not to use the stuff from higher...

I don't know why.  I assume that it is due to lack of corrosion resistance.  Our FOB is near the Tigris and there is enough humidity to cause corrosion if left unprotected.  We just put a light coat of CLP on weapons and wipe off the dust that accumulates.  Our weapons get a lot of dust on them when we go to unprepared LZs.  We have been in country for almost 6 months and have had no problems with weapons malfunctions.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I was going

19yrs guard
MOS  63B,11B, 43E

I don't know why.  I assume that it is due to lack of corrosion resistance.  Our FOB is near the Tigris and there is enough humidity to cause corrosion if left unprotected.  We just put a light coat of CLP on weapons and wipe off the dust that accumulates.  Our weapons get a lot of dust on them when we go to unprepared LZs.  We have been in country for almost 6 months and have had no problems with weapons malfunctions.

Thats pretty much the same info the bro-inlaw gave me Nate1.He was in the Stan and then OIF with the 101st ABD.He said they started out using graphite based lubes in the Stan,and started having some serious corrosion issues.The graphite lubes were removed and ordered not to use them.He said they wanted Break Free CLP but could not get it for some reason as it was not available at the time.He ended up using LSA-T from the crew served.Continued using LSA-T on through his OIF tour.Basically applied and excess removed.No weapons issues either.He had never heard of Militec or any of the other space age lubes that we civies go on about.He actually says there is more hype being spewed in the civie circles about lubes and weapons failures than what is actually being seen in action.He said PM is the key no matter what is used.
All you fella's over in Iraq stay safe and watch your backs.Im rootin for yall and your all in my prayers.Needless to say yall have my respect and gratitude.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want one of the slickest lubes out there, Militec is one of them.

I use on slide rails, bolts etc... Anywhere I need absolutely fail proof lubrication. I also use it when breaking in a new firearm.

Everywhere else Breakfree.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Have any of you tried  CORROSION X ? I put this stuff on all my guns. It is actually a cleaner and lubricant. It is the best shit i have ever used. You can actually wipe off excess with a towel and the metal is still lubricated. It has something to do with it soaking into the pores of the metal.
check the website out for better explanation.

http://www.corrosionx.com/
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Folks like to try new stuff, I've tried it all and noticed no or little difference.  I still use Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have heard about supply issues with CLP, what gives? I can buy the stuff by the gallon or 16 oz bottles w/o any problems through McMaster or Midway.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Militec is ok.  We got it issued for a while, then went back to CLP.

I spend my money on CLP because I can use one product to maintain the whole weapon.  2 tours in Iraq and no problems so far.  CLP is good enough for me.  Now if i could just get Uncle Sugar to provide some decent 20 round mags....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I spend my money on CLP because I can use one product to maintain the whole weapon.  2 tours in Iraq and no problems so far.  CLP is good enough for me.  Now if i could just get Uncle Sugar to provide some decent 20 round mags....

Just curious...why 20 round mags?
Ive heard some other military folks comment on wanting twenty round mags.
We used 20 rounders in SWAT in my LEO days due to the fact they did not hang so low and were less snag effect in close carry vehicle and exit ops.Easier go low prone too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious...why 20 round mags?
Ive heard some other military folks comment on wanting twenty round mags.
We used 20 rounders in SWAT in my LEO days due to the fact they did not hang so low and were less snag effect in close carry vehicle and exit ops.Easier go low prone too.

The FN P90 doesn't suffer from that problem and can hold 50 rd
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Just returned from an armor's coourse, the instructor uses Miltec-1 and said good things about
Slip 2000.  He uses both products on his own guns and on his PD's weapons, so I take him at his word.

I have used Miltec-1 for a nembers of years on my own and have been happy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#24]
FN P90 is the new poodle shooter
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
i have been using the crap out of militec since SHOT. the first trip out i got through about 200 rnds of wolf b4 i was reduced to a single action rifle.

application number 2 i got throuhg 300+ rounds of WWB with zero problems.

application 3 abotu 250 rounds of wolf, had 1 malf but i think it was magazine related.

now when i was soleley using clp i would run through about 500 rounds of wolf with no problems. I gotta say if i needed my gun to survive and thought there was gonna be a long time between cleanings, i'd use CLP.

i am toying with the idea of going back to clp but for some reason i dont wanna give up on militec-1......

i'm a fool. h.gif
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I used it during the break-in process on my Taurus PT145 and I swear it is the smoothest DA Taurus I have ever handled.
I use them in all my guns at the range before I shoot them. but not as a CLP
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I was going

19yrs guard
MOS  63B,11B, 43E

Thats pretty much the same info the bro-inlaw gave me Nate1.He was in the Stan and then OIF with the 101st ABD.He said they started out using graphite based lubes in the Stan,and started having some serious corrosion issues.The graphite lubes were removed and ordered not to use them.He said they wanted Break Free CLP but could not get it for some reason as it was not available at the time.He ended up using LSA-T from the crew served.Continued using LSA-T on through his OIF tour.Basically applied and excess removed.No weapons issues either.He had never heard of Militec or any of the other space age lubes that we civies go on about.He actually says there is more hype being spewed in the civie circles about lubes and weapons failures than what is actually being seen in action.He said PM is the key no matter what is used.
All you fella's over in Iraq stay safe and watch your backs.Im rootin for yall and your all in my prayers.Needless to say yall have my respect and gratitude.

PM is the first and formost thing to making sure weapons worked right out there.  As for the militec vs. CLP question?  I dunno, the militec seemed to make cleaning the weapon easier - carbon came off with a rag, it seeemed to not cook off like CLP does.  But, to me at least, it's thicker and gummier then CLP, and no matter what - sand sticks just the same.  It's like pouring four cylinder restore stuff into your engine.  It's not really making a difference - it makes you think that it's making a difference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#28]
The chlorinated paraffins used in Militec and FP-10 allow tests to show that it has enhanced lubricating qualities (and it "feels" smoother). However, my shade-tree/homebrew corrosion tests show CLP is superior to Militec, FP-10, and Slip 2000 Gun Lube. While the CLP treated coupons show no signs of rust, the others showed multiple spots of rust or total surface rust.

I have not tried or tested Slip 2000 GPL or Mil-x, which are supposed to meet/exceed the CLP spec.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top