Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
Howdy all.
The other day a gunbuddy of mine recommended a dry lube called EEzox (not sure of spelling).  Anyone ever use this stuff?  Pros/cons?  Where to find?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my Eezox Here (half way down the page).  Good service from this place.  

Follow the directions!!  Eezox takes work to get the most out of it.  Get your gun clean down to the bare metal (degrease) before applying the first coat.  Yes, coat.  Think of this stuff as wax, even though it comes out of the bottle as a liquid.  Let it sit for at least 24 hours between coats, and then lightly wipe off the parts before putting on the next coat.  I use 2 coats for the first application.  The more you clean your gun (with Eezox only), the more it will apply to your gun.  The parts need to be dry before firing the gun.

IMHO, Eezox is best used if you can detail strip your weapon.  This way you can coat the parts individually, and make sure that they are coated %100.

Also, be sure to use in a well ventilated area.  The fumes are quite strong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Follow the directions!!  Eezox takes work to get the most out of it.  Get your gun clean down to the bare metal (degrease) before applying the first coat.  Yes, coat.  Think of this stuff as wax, even though it comes out of the bottle as a liquid.  Let it sit for at least 24 hours between coats, and then lightly wipe off the parts before putting on the next coat.  I use 2 coats for the first application.  The more you clean your gun (with Eezox only), the more it will apply to your gun.  The parts need to be dry before firing the gun.

IMHO, Eezox is best used if you can detail strip your weapon.  This way you can coat the parts individually, and make sure that they are coated %100.

Tempest,does the Eezox still use the chlorinated solvents?
By chance have you seen a MSDS on it?
Just curious as Ive always wanted to see an MSDS and CAS# on it.
I tried it a few years ago and it had a bad effect on my nervous system.
Made me for most of a day with the rainbows around lights,upset stomack,dizzy and all the good stuff.I found out the hard way not to use it in confined spaces...in fact I never used it again.
I ran back to using CLP after that episode.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I bought mine from that place bout 2 months ago and finaly go it  tuesday.I will buy the stuff again,just not from that place.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from the spray cans. The propellent is a little toxic. The liquid in the drip cans will keep you from getting dizzy and is less wastefull. Definitely wear nitrile gloves as all solvent gun cleaners will leach out all moisture from your skin. The combination of MPro 7 (Hoppes) gun cleaner and eezox will make your hands so dry they will crack. Slightly painful. Breakfree, Tetra, Kleenbore products will all make you dizzy and dry out your skin in spray can form. Myself being around this stuff more than 8 hours a day, I look for the least toxic. Never open a bottle of Sweets in a small room unless you like passing out on the floor.

I usually test out new product samples from the Shot Show on range guns. It is hard to beat Eezox, TW25B, Breakfree, Mpro7, Sweets, and JB cleaning compound. The ultra-sonic I have access to does most of the hard work. The new Brownell's clp that is colored red is showing a lot of promise. Super slick and it sticks to where it is applied. The red color allows it to be seen so you won't over apply. And its non toxic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I use it as a protectant only, very nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Eezox MSDS.

The Trichloroethylene (a strong degreaser/cleaner) is still there.  The MSDS is dated 1993 so it hasen't changed in a while.  The exposure symptoms on the MSDS is exactly like that for Trichlor.  Definitely use in a well ventilated area.  George Fennell, formerly of MPC (FP10) once stated that the primary component of Eezox are Phthalates.  Don't have the rest of my info with me at the moment to verify or expound any more.

I bought mine from that place bout 2 months ago and finally go it tuesday.I will buy the stuff again,just not from that place

Hmmm....     I ordered twice from them and got it in just a few days both times.  Was it in stock at the time?   I remember someone posting a few weeks ago saying that they where having trouble getting it even direct from the distributor.   Supply shortage???

I don't like the spray can either.  The fumes are definitely stronger, and it does seem to waste a lot of material.  I like the oil and use q-tips to apply.  This wastes some material too, but at least you can control where it goes, and any fouling will be absorbed by the Q-tip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info Tempest.Yeah I remember a little of what George described about the technology Eezox uses.No more trichlor for me.In fact I thought the regs had petty much restricted the stuff out of cunsumer use.
I think I will stick with Break Free,FP-10 and Mil-comm.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
No problem on the info.  Can't say I blame you for staying away from the Trichlor, not the most people friendly stuff.  Though in what little research I have done, I haven't found any hard evidence of serious health concerns.  A lot of if's and maybe's, mostly from left leaning enviro groups, but nothing solid.  The fumes are for real though and well documented.

Phthalates are aromatic diesters and this ring structure greatly reduces the viscosity index (usually well below 100) and eliminates most of the biodegradability benefit. In all other respects, phthalates behave similar to other diesters and are about 20 - 30% lower in cost. Phthalates are used extensively in air compressor lubricants (especially the reciprocating type) where low viscosity index is the norm and low cost clean operation is desirable

This comes from a very good site explaining synthetic lubricants.  This shows that Phthalates can be used as lubricants, and the polar bonding diesters combined with the lack of biodegradability could explain the good corrosion protection.

The Phthalates have there own health concerns as well, but again, nothing conclusive with over 20 years of study.

I really like the idea of a dry lube, which is why I'm still using Eezox.  Though lately I've used Fp10 a lot for cleaning and am really impressed.  I cleaned a couple of rifle barrels with MC25+ foaming bore cleaner and I thought the barrels were clean.  Then I put a good coating of FP10 in both and let set for about 3 days.  Ran a brush through a few times...the patch came out pitch black!!  I have now done this 2 or 3 times and continue to get black patchs.  It's not fast, but it's good!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Eezox MSDS.

The Trichloroethylene (a strong degreaser/cleaner) is still there.  The MSDS is dated 1993 so it hasen't changed in a while.  The exposure symptoms on the MSDS is exactly like that for Trichlor.  Definitely use in a well ventilated area.  George Fennell, formerly of MPC (FP10) once stated that the primary component of Eezox are Phthalates.  Don't have the rest of my info with me at the moment to verify or expound any more.

I bought mine from that place bout 2 months ago and finally go it tuesday.I will buy the stuff again,just not from that place

Hmmm....     I ordered twice from them and got it in just a few days both times.  Was it in stock at the time?   I remember someone posting a few weeks ago saying that they where having trouble getting it even direct from the distributor.   Supply shortage???

I don't like the spray can either.  The fumes are definitely stronger, and it does seem to waste a lot of material.  I like the oil and use q-tips to apply.  This wastes some material too, but at least you can control where it goes, and any fouling will be absorbed by the Q-tip.

Yeah,it was out of stock at the time i ordered.And i though,"no biggie"i can wait a bit.Well I placed my order on December 3 `05 @ 2:54 AM.Waited for bout 3-4 weeks and still nothing.So, I shoot the guy an email and no responce.Waited an another 1 1/2 -2 weeks and sent another email,no response.So,I basicly said screw it,i got robbed $27.00 bucks.Then last week ,it finaly came in.Iwill buy more of the stuff,cuz i realy like it,just not from that company.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top