Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 11:53:06 PM EDT
Ive seen it in both matte and gloss... Has anyone tried these??
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can hunt down Stickman, he can tell you.........

TS
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the night shift
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ive seen it in both matte and gloss... Has anyone tried these??

Where have you seen Norrells clear coat in a gloss and matte?  I make no claims of being an expert with Norrells, but its new to me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
His web site listed it at one time..Norrell himself did my Oly preban carbine before I had it remade... He listed clear gloss and flat / matte on his site  at the time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought you were talking about current product.  I don't think gloss is made with the exception of special request, but I could be wrong.

I really don't understand what your question is.  One will impart a gloss finish, while the other will impart a matte finish.  Its similar to the Gloss black vs SOCOM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought you were talking about current product.  I don't think gloss is made with the exception of special request, but I could be wrong.

I really don't understand what your question is.  One will impart a gloss finish, while the other will impart a matte finish.  Its similar to the Gloss black vs SOCOM.

Say my anodize is fine, color is good... But..  Shiny in some spots.. A flat top coat would take care of this, and give me a like new look... Let the original anodize and color show thru.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say my anodize is fine, color is good... But..  Shiny in some spots.. A flat top coat would take care of this, and give me a like new look... Let the original anodize and color show thru.

ok

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok

When I say shiny.. Here is what I am trying to get across... Anodize will get some "burnished" appearing areas where its handled alot. Alumunum doesnt show thru, but the flat finish, although still black, has become slightly " polished"

Will a flat top coat eliminate this? Or would it simply do nothing?  Ive been thinking about this for some time, and I am not sure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Will a flat top coat eliminate this? Or would it simply do nothing?

Ahhhh, now I see your question.  It will certainly help, but it will depend upon the applicaton of the coating.  If preheated and misted on, it will certainly give everything a matte finish.  The glossy area may have taken a slightly different tone, which may or may not be noticeable, but it will smooth it out quite a bit.  

This may sound like an ignorant question, but why not just recoat it with SOCOM/ matte black?  That way there is no question it will all look perfect when you are done?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will a flat top coat eliminate this? Or would it simply do nothing?

Ahhhh, now I see your question.  It will certainly help, but it will depend upon the applicaton of the coating.  If preheated and misted on, it will certainly give everything a matte finish.  The glossy area may have taken a slightly different tone, which may or may not be noticeable, but it will smooth it out quite a bit.  

This may sound like an ignorant question, but why not just recoat it with SOCOM/ matte black?  That way there is no question it will all look perfect when you are done?

Just asking really.. I have been thinking about this for a while...I had seen this on Norrells website but it has been a while. Ive got 2 small spots on my RR that honestly arent really noticeable unless you look at it in the right light. One is above and to the rear of the sear hole, the other near the lip of the mag well..Id post a pic but I cant get any to show. I know the spot is there, but I am hesitant to do the whole lower because of this.. Thus my original post
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a tool.

If you don't want the finish to wear, don't ever touch it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just asking really.. I have been thinking about this for a while...I had seen this on Norrells website but it has been a while. Ive got 2 small spots on my RR that honestly arent really noticeable unless you look at it in the right light. One is above and to the rear of the sear hole, the other near the lip of the mag well..Id post a pic but I cant get any to show. I know the spot is there, but I am hesitant to do the whole lower because of this.. Thus my original post

If it is that minor, I would leave it alone.  I've got wear down to raw aluminum on some of my receivers that have been refinished with Norrells.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotcha....Thanks again...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's a tool.

My M16 isnt a tool. I am not an LEO or armchair commando. Simply a collector who likes to shoot paper, not pretend to clear rooms in my spare time...If you spent hard earned $$ on a registered receiver, would you not take care of it?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a tool.

If you spent hard earned $$ on a registered receiver, would you not take care of it?

You bet I would...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I just wish I could register a receiver.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just wish I could register a receiver.....

I am living in a friendly state fortunately...I busted my butt to afford this thing...Nebraska Law Enforcement could use a good man Ill bet...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top