Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2005 5:01:52 PM EDT
I floated this question over on GD but really should have put it here just in case.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get a standard style FSB with no lug that fits pencil/light/thin barrels?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Could buy one with a bayo lug and grind it off.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't even have to grind it - put a hacksaw to it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't even have to grind it - put a hacksaw to it.

Ok picky.

You can hacksaw/grind/chew/ bash/rub it off.  That cover everything?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I floated this question over on GD but really should have put it here just in case.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get a standard style FSB with no lug that fits pencil/light/thin barrels?

My Colt sporter lightweight is a pencil barrel
with a colt FSB and no lug . that’s the way they
came from the factory .

You can probably get one from Numrich , or possibly Colt manf .
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My model 1 lightweight barrel is .750 at the gas block (isn't that the standard size?)...well, I should say it's *supposed* to be lol...it's about one hair too big, so getting the FSB off was a pain in the ass, as was getting another FSB back on.  I finally just took the path of least resistance, and used a clamp on style block for the time being.  The FSB that came off the rifle fit perfectly on another barrel, so I know it's the barrel that's a little off.  

So, unless your lightweight barrel is different from mine, any post ban FSB should work, right?  

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My model 1 lightweight barrel is .750 at the gas block...well, I should say it's *supposed* to be lol...it's about one hair too big, so getting the FSB off was a pain in the ass, as was getting another FSB back on.  I finally just took the path of least resistance, and used a clamp on style block for the time being.  The FSB that came off the rifle fit perfectly on another barrel, so I know it's the barrel that's a little off.  

So, unless your lightweight barrel is different from mine, any post ban FSB should work, right?

You got lucky.  There is no standard position for the pins.  I will say that there is less barrel meat to hit with the pins on a light weight barrel, so this may force the pins to be closer in location than on standard barrels, but I still say, you got lucky.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't really want to do the hack job on a pre-ban one.  Chances are I wouldn't get it looking good enough to be satisfied with it.

I think I'll check out Numrich and then maybe Colt.  Hopefully one will be easier to find than the lockness monster.!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My model 1 lightweight barrel is .750 at the gas block...well, I should say it's *supposed* to be lol...it's about one hair too big, so getting the FSB off was a pain in the ass, as was getting another FSB back on.  I finally just took the path of least resistance, and used a clamp on style block for the time being.  The FSB that came off the rifle fit perfectly on another barrel, so I know it's the barrel that's a little off.  

You got lucky.  There is no standard position for the pins.  I will say that there is less barrel meat to hit with the pins on a light weight barrel, so this may force the pins to be closer in location than on standard barrels, but I still say, you got lucky.

You're right...none of the pins holes lined up right...and when I made my reply, I wasn't even thinking of that...just the size of the barrel under the gas block.  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top