Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 7:47:15 AM EST
The state of new jersey still has it's AWB, but that restricts mags to 15 instead of 10 rounds. Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes 15 rnd AR mags?

Thanks,
Andrew
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:48:23 AM EST
This would be great to find out. It's hard to believe that no one makes them. They'd do very well in NJ. Anyone? Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:55:10 AM EST
What if you engineered a way to make 30s only hold 15? Weld somthing permanant in there so your rifle can look normal, and comply. Thats what I did with my AK.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:06:33 AM EST
This is a fine idea, but it's problematic in relation to our current state AWB.

The reason why we're looking for 15 rounders, as I'm sure you know, is because we're from NJ and the maximum capacity is 15. In the language of the statute, it is not legal to POSESS a magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds in NJ. For this reason, it would not be legal to first obtain and then alter a magazine within the state. In order to strictly comply with the law, as any responsible gun owner should, we'd have to have an out of state manufacturer or gunsmith prepare the permanently blocked/plugged magazine and send it to us.

In my opinion, in the best of all possible worlds, someone would manufacture a follower with a deep base that would only allow 15 rounds to be loaded into a 20 and this would solve all of our problems while allowing the magazine to function freely and likely flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:09:12 PM EST
Would anyone be interested in 10 round Bushmaster mags modified (internal block milled, and longer springs installed) to hold 15 rounds? They would most likely cost $30 (we need to buy the 10 round mags, new springs, then modify them). I spoke with my boss about this and we may offer them, or would you rather have youe existing Bushmaster (with plastic block in base of mag) modified for $10-15? If there is enough interest I will see what we can do.

PS this will be done out of a motorcycle shop, if it were out of a gun shop I would be doing it already!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:21:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By -blake-:
This is a fine idea, but it's problematic in relation to our current state AWB.

The reason why we're looking for 15 rounders, as I'm sure you know, is because we're from NJ and the maximum capacity is 15. In the language of the statute, it is not legal to POSESS a magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds in NJ. For this reason, it would not be legal to first obtain and then alter a magazine within the state. In order to strictly comply with the law, as any responsible gun owner should, we'd have to have an out of state manufacturer or gunsmith prepare the permanently blocked/plugged magazine and send it to us.

In my opinion, in the best of all possible worlds, someone would manufacture a follower with a deep base that would only allow 15 rounds to be loaded into a 20 and this would solve all of our problems while allowing the magazine to function freely and likely flawlessly.

Right but if they are going to be dicks they can still nail you as soon as they put a normal follower in the mag .
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:35:37 PM EST
Somebody need to get ahold of Bushmaster and see if the would take this project on. Can't imagine it would cost them much more than the 10rd mags they are making. ($15 price tag on their website for the 10 rd magazine.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:41:51 PM EST
For one lousy state?

Nope.

Just get 20 rounders blocked to 15 rounds. I believe that is legal still.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:45:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:
For one lousy state?

Nope.

Just get 20 rounders blocked to 15 rounds. I believe that is legal still.

CRC

Population, 2003 estimate 8,638,396
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:32:34 PM EST
I just bought brand new 30 round mags from American Surplus for $11 each. Block the mags to 15 by using the Bic pen method as described HERE.

20 mags for $228 + 20 pens for $4 = <$12 each
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:14:57 AM EST
That BIC block is GREAT... thank's for posting the the thread-- I couldn't come up with it in my search of the forum...

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:17:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By -blake-:
That BIC block is GREAT... thank's for posting the the thread-- I couldn't come up with it in my search of the forum...

It's no longer legal to block mags in your state...

If you know someone in a hicap mag state, have them weld a block in & send you the mag, that should work...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:29:35 AM EST
I have spoken to bushmaster about having 30 rd mags modified like they do with the post ban they made. this would still look like a 30 rd er, but only hold 15. They stated that it would have to be an order of about 2000 pcs to be worth while for them. I am also working with a few machine shops to do the mods we need in nj> I am also working on the same type of idea for ak's, and 9mm ar's. I also have an hk clone that i cant take out because no one makes a mag under 30 rd.
If anyone is interested in this project, please email me, and we will come up with a solution
thanks JIMBO
Top Top