Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 10:02:13 AM EDT
I bought this upper off the EE a couple of years ago and now want to build another and would like to use this same spiral ventilated handguard, but I've searched and searched and can't find the maker.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:24:21 AM EDT
I used to have one just like it. I think I picked it up from Sherluck at the Big Reno gun show many years ago. You might call them and ask. They usually have an ad in Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2011 4:27:11 PM EDT by Herknav90]
It's a definately a Spiral Free Float Tube made by Sherluk in Delta, OH. Used to be $60 + shipping.

Sherluk Marketing & Trading
P.O. Box 156
Delta, Ohio 43515
PHONE: (419) 923-8011
FAX: (419) 923-8120

But, I am not seeing it on their website. Might have to find one at a gun show if they don't special order this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:09:11 AM EDT
Thanks for the identification, with the help from your posts I found that it is indeed a Sherluk tube, and as Herknav90 noted, is not listed on their site. Probably safe to assume it's no longer available but I'll contact them anyway, maybe they have one laying around in a corner somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:09:24 PM EDT
I called today and they are available! Sherluk manufactures them in house. They are $65 each plus shipping. Thanks for posting on this, I saw one a couple years ago and really wanted one, but never figured out who was making/selling them. I ordered one a few minutes ago that should ship tomorrow. Can't wait to see it on the new varmint upper I'm slowly gathering parts for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 4:38:03 PM EDT by Herknav90]
Yes, they are neat looking. It would be good to type a report of the likes and dislikes. Please take a few pictures of construction and let people see the details - If not, IM me. I have pondered buying one. It would be good to have another forarm MFG hit it big.

ETA: Oh, no problem on the ID. I have looked at them in the past, but I never pulled the trigger. For $60...What the heck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:33 AM EDT
Report on likes and dislikes, from the one I currently own. Not really a lot to tell about it, it's a free-float handguard that just works.

It appears to be one-piece, but I bought the upper complete and haven't really looked that close to see if there is a visible part line on the nut. One-piece vs two-piece is not that big of a deal except in my experience from other uppers I've built using both types it's a little bit easier to assemble a two-piece owing to not having to "fish" the gas tube into the proper hole in the nut. Of course with a one-piece you don't have to worry about the handguard part coming loose.

Spiral vents mean you don't have to "time" it to make it look right or for the vents to be positioned for optimal cooling. They also mean you don't have as much lee-way in installing a sling stud and even less for installing a rail section should you want to do so.

The only "thing" I've noticed about it compared to the Hogue, M1 Sales, Bushmaster and DPMS free-float tubes I have on other uppers, it is not as rigid. If I hold the barrel and push on the end of the tube it will flex slightly toward the barrel. I don't know if it's because of the spiral vents or if it's made of a less rigid alloy or both. I have to press pretty hard, but it does flex if I press hard on it. But then I don't think that will be a problem. It doesn't flex enough to touch the barrel, and you have to press pretty hard to get it to flex, and I can't imagine a normal situation where you would be putting that much pressure on the end of the tube.

The knurling is a bit sharper/rougher than a Bushmaster knurled tube I have, so it's kind of like holding coarse sandpaper, but again I don't see it as a probem. If you're building a rifle to carry on a sling you sure wouldn't want it rubbing on the back of your neck all day, but under normal use it's not a problem, just another little "thing" you notice but doesn't really make a difference.

I really like the way it looks. Not that looks are important to function, but some of us just like things to look good to us as well as being superbly functional. And apparently I'm not the only one, every one of my shooting buddies likes the way it looks.

Best of all, if they are selling for $65 that’s less than any other ventilated free-float tube I’ve seen on the market.

So to sum it up, good looks, good price, highly functional. What more could you want?

Top Top