Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 7:22:16 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone else only had Thermold magazines for their AR.  I don't have many magazines, the 10 rounder that came with my rifle, the five Thermold magazines that I've bought since, and one steel mag that a dude gave me at the range because he said it didn't work.  It works flawlessly in my rifle.  :-)

But, so I was wondering if there were any other big fans of the Thermold magazines here on the board.  Why do you prefer them over steel and aluminum mags?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of Thermolds, and still shoot the snot out of the 5 that I bought with my first AR 6 years ago. Not one mag related malfunction.

That being said...I'm a "Bigger" fan of the USGI, and USGI Teflon coated mags because they are less expensive, are more readily available, won't ever separate on the back seam, and they can't melt.

Tack
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I do nto have an AR, but i have 5 thermelts (Canuck)  and will buy more as I find them, and will eventually get an AR15 again
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some, and Orlites....they are my range bag mags.

I don't prefer them overall, just no problems with them, keep the others at home.

No Expert

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
i have about 20 of them that i use with no problems at all

they are the d&h d&d forget which,  u.s. made ones, i got a great deal on them and they work great for my .50 beowulf too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#5]
i like em cause when they eject and fall empty on my foot, they dont hurt as much

they feed relaibly, but i still stick to USGI
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Another +1 for the thermolds. I've never really understood why they are considered a second tier mag. Mine have been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Another +1 for the thermolds. I've never really understood why they are considered a second tier mag. Mine have been 100% reliable.

cause they are polymers(plastic)

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some, too. Once had a broken feed lip when I dropped a loaded one.

But then I've dented a USGI so that it wouldn't feed, too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sittin at about 50/50. Half USGI Half Thermolds. I like them just fine. Never had any functioning issues.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So's my glock. I wouldn't consider it a second tier pistol.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 11 US Thermolds, only about 3 of which have been used.  I also have 2 US Thermold 20 round mags.  Loaded but never fired.

I like them, but don't use them, since I'm only allowed to use USGI mags for work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have found Thermold magazines to be quite acceptible and very reliable. I have a mix of Canadian and commercial magazines and all work exceptionally. I have never had any trouble with any of my Thermold magazines. IMO, Canada gave up on the concept a little early...fair enough though, the ones they had were less satisfactory than currently availible Thermolds. According to Diemaco, all of the M16's they sell to allied militaries exclusively use the newer Thermolds.
Aluminum magazines have thier flaws, however its the best magazine design availible right now for the M16. A Sig 550/HK G36 transparent polymer magazine which can be coupled woudl be superior IMO, but I doubt we will ever see anything like this, atleast at the .gov level. If Thermolds work for you, by all means....but I reccomend nothing short of good quality USGI 30 round mags for defensive applications.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So's my glock. I wouldn't consider it a second tier pistol.

I would.

ETA: can you tell I'm a 1911 fan?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I have used them I had about 10 but I gave some away with rifles I sold and only have about 5 of the 30 rounders left and 2 20's. They worked great. The only thing bad I heard was they could break if you took apart the base plate for cleaning too much. I got mine when hi cap GI mags were expensive. But now I started liking the HK mags. I got 5 and love them.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I like 'em, I had 1 for years, and got 6 more new to me.  All work great, and I I prefer to use them at the range.

Only bummer is they don't fit mag pouches designed for USGI so good.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't had any problem with my 8 Thermold mags.  They're in with the 30 mags I rotate for range shooting.  I can't imagine the "melting" issue arising for most of use unfortunate semi-auto AR shooters.  Maybe if performing FA mag dumps.

The only warning I've been given, numerous times, is to NOT keep the Thermolds loaded for long-term storage (ie.  SHTF pre-loaded mags).
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Big fan here too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Thermolds will not fit in some AR-15 lowers.   The rib on the side interferes with the bottom of the mag well.

And some are not finished properly on the bolt catch cutout.  The U shaped notch catches on the bolt catch and preven the mag from seating.  They look as if a step were left out during manufacture.  These can be fixed by grinding out the U to resemble the cutout on the rear of USGI mags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had that issue with some orlites, but never thermolds....just my experiences.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I have Thermold "storage" magazines which telescope out in order to relieve tension on the spring, even while it is loaded.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have Thermold "storage" magazines which telescope out in order to relieve tension on the spring, even while it is loaded.

Never heard of these.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#22]
They are also known as the "30/45" model.  Perhaps tonight I'll post a pic.  I would imagine that they are now quite rare.

From Troy's Mag Faq:
Thermold 30/45
-------
Among the most unique magazine designs, the 30/45 magazines were designed with an extendable bottom section that would allow the magazine to be fully loaded to 30 rounds and stored (with the base extended) with the spring under minimal pressure. This allowed long-term storage of fully-loaded mags with no wear to the spring or the feed lips. They can also be loaded with 45 rounds when the base extended, though they shouldn't be stored in this configuration.

Here is a pic:
https://www.mypoass.com/detail.asp?id=1863
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I was searching for an online store with any Thermolds last night and I came across a nice site that only had those 30/45 expanding mags. I had never seen them before last night. Now i just gotta find that damn site again. Sifting through IE history is a pain.... Can't wait for Vista

Quoted:
They are also known as the "30/45" model.  Perhaps tonight I'll post a pic.  I would imagine that they are now quite rare.

From Troy's Mag Faq:
Thermold 30/45
-------
Among the most unique magazine designs, the 30/45 magazines were designed with an extendable bottom section that would allow the magazine to be fully loaded to 30 rounds and stored (with the base extended) with the spring under minimal pressure. This allowed long-term storage of fully-loaded mags with no wear to the spring or the feed lips. They can also be loaded with 45 rounds when the base extended, though they shouldn't be stored in this configuration.

Here is a pic:
https://www.mypoass.com/detail.asp?id=1863

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]
As per my previous post, some have problems inserting Thermold mags in some brands of AR-15's.

Here are pictures... if the rear notch on your is U shaped, use your Dremel and make the notch at the rear look like this:

File or grind down the top rib of the 30/45 to look like this:

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a few of the Master Molder 20rd. mags that have worked 100%  without a single glitch.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I have thermolds and like them a lot. I also like the USGI mags. All of the mags I have gotten recently are USGI and the followers are being replaced with the magpul followers. I have a fey orlites I use for range mags but have not realy had a problem with any that I bought in nrew condition. Some of the older ones that are worn pretty good malfunction once in a while however I use this oportunity to practice mags changes. I am an AK guy but have been enjoying my AR more and more since I did some spring changes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Not ALL Thermold, but mainly Thermolds.  Have three English steel joobies, and a few 20 round GI mags for off the bench, but consider mayself a (US built) Thermold guy all the way.

Incidentally, I've kept Thermolds fully loaded for 2-3 years, and used them w/no malfunctions of any sort, so I'm not really buying the "don't keep 'em loaded" advice; at least not yet
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The only problem that I've seen, is that some have to be worked in a little, as the bolt on some guns won't close completely over the feed lips.  Eventually, letting the bolt slam forward several times, scrapes off the right amount of plastic on the feed lips and they will function fine.  Sometimes it scrapes off a bit more than you would like, but they still seem to retain the cartridges ok.

I suppose you could scape a little of the lips off with a knife, but the bolt itself eventually does the job.

Even though polymer ar mags are sort of the recent past, (ProMag still makes them, I guess), I think in the future, they will likely be tried again if the ar platform stays around long enough, and in other future military rifles as well.  As it is, there are so many aluminum mags in the pipeline now, there isn't much reason for any military to try them again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I have all sorts of mags including Thermolds, H&K's, USGI, USA (ugh), etc.  I can't say that I prefer my Thermolds over any of the otehrs (except) the USA's), but I do think the Termolds look cooler than the others.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Is there a significant weight difference between the Thermold and USGI mags?

Justin
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Justin

Fresh off the Digital food scale:

Thermold         4.1oz
USGI Labelle  3.9oz
HK HiReli         8.8oz      friggin' things better be hi-reliability.  Built like a brick-shithouse.

Conclusion:  Thermold and USGI are essentially the same weight.  HK more than 2x the weight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

Fresh off the Digital food scale:

Thermold         4.1oz
USGI Labelle  3.9oz
HK HiReli         8.8oz      friggin' things better be hi-reliability.  Built like a brick-shithouse.

Conclusion:  Thermold and USGI are essentially the same weight.  HK more than 2x the weight.

Thanks Charlie!  I don't know what you're doing with a precison scale at home though?  Perhaps making "products" for "La Familia?"

Those HK mags are damn near indestructable (remember Paul's HK mags after the fire?) but the USGI Alminum mags hold up pretty well also.  Personally, I think it's a little overkill.  I mean, I think  I'll have bigger problems to worry about if a Napalm cannister lands on me .  My rifle and magazines would be the last of my concerns.

Take care Charlie.

Justin
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top