Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 8:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 12:48:47 PM EDT by JD2]
I found a Leupold Gilmore red dot sight for a very good price and am thinking of buying it for one of my AR-15's. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with it? How does it compare with the Aimpoint sights?

Thanks all for any information!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:48:06 PM EDT
Nobody's used a Leupold Gilmore????
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JD2:

I haven't used one personally enough to give a strong opinion, but one of our officers bought one for his AR. I wasn't impressed much with the mounting system, it's a proprietary large ring, which seemed awfully flimsy to me. He mounted it on top of his carry handle, & I didn't like how high it sat above the receiver. I couldn't get any kind of cheek weld on the stock with it.....

I helped him zero it, & it worked reasonably well, but I can't comment on how well it will hold zero after extended use, or banging around in the patrol car.

The price was OK, IIRC he paid about $140 for it, but personally, I would have preferred an Aimpoint by a long margin, even a used one....YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:20:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JD2:

No, Better DOT's available cheaper. They never quite caught on for Bullseye shooting.

They are deceant DOT's and if you are able to get it For < $ 125 go for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:34:42 PM EDT
Thanks for the input! I can get a virtually new one for $80 plus tax. I've never used a red dot on an AR before and it's a cheap way to see if I find it useful. I figure I can always mount on a 10-22 for my sons to use if I don't like it.

Thanks again!
Top Top