Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 9:57:55 PM EDT
Hi,
I'm looking at their ARFX-E model for my Carbine project...

1) Are these too short for comfort?

2) Anyone have any personal experience with
them?

3) How tough are these?

4) Also, shouldn't one be worried about the foam-pad getting wet?

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the ARFX stocks and like it a lot!
Real sturdy, and unbelievably comfortable when shooting.  The foam is pretty tough.  If I ever do damage it they sell the replacement sleve for $6 if I recall correctly.   Oh, they look as cool in person as in the pics.

I dont know about the E version.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the short one myself. I found it to be too short even with the pad. The pad is made of a type of rubber I find to be too squishy/sticky feeling. I would prefer a more solid rubber one. I'm not that big myself (5'7"). If I wore body armor the lentgh of stock would probaly be alright.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I love the ARFX-E.  I just built an M4gry with a DPMS lower from CMMG that came with one.  I have the full spacer on mine and love it.  I'm short as hell though, 5'5" so that probably factors into it.  I could probably still like it with another inch on it or so, but the full length is definately too long for my frame.  I shoot nose to charging handle nad this works about perfectly for me.  My suggestion would be to attempt to find one you can shoulder before going ahead with getting one.  Hmmmm...actually you are in FLorida.  Where abouts?  I'm in the Tampa Bay area so if you are nearby I could possibly meet you at a range at somepoint if you wanted to get a feel for the length.
If you like DPMS check out CMMG's offering on the EE: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=166824[/url]
Comes with an ARFX or ARFX-E stock.

Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an "E" model for an M4 I am building.  I don't have the upper yet but I installed the stock on a lower.  It seems VERY solid.  Was easy to install.  Yes looks very good too.  I had originally planned to add an adjustable buttplate but never got a straight answer as to the legality of that.  It is VERY short but that's the way I need it to be.  Once the thing comes together I'll repost.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the great responses so far!

JRussell, thank you very much for the offer, but i live in tallahassee, it's about a five hour drive for me...why does florida have to be this long???

I'm 5'6", so i'm right between the both of you -LOL. Perhaps it'll turn out perfect...

Keep the responses coming guys...thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's a little far LOCKEDON. [:)]  You are very right, this state is way to darn long.  I just went up to Lake City for the FDCC shoot and it was a loooooooooong drive.  Being in Tallahassee you should check it out, they shoot on the last sunday of every month.  Good group of people.
At 5'6" I think it will work for you.  Make sure to get the thicker of the two pads, I don't think it would have been comfortable if I got the short but pad.

Hey, give us a lowdown of what you are considering as to the make up of your project.  Rifle, upper, lower, etc.  I'd be interested in hearing what you have planned.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm so excited over this thing...i'm gonna have a post will many pics once it's done...here's a preview though:

Bushmaster upper/lower 16" fluted
A.R.M.S.  S.I.R. #50
A.R.M.S. #40
Ace ARFX-E (thanks to this post i'm sold)
Eotech 551 or 552 (trying to decide whats more important: battery life or looks)
Firs samco G27 grip.
GG&G Vertical Foregrip OR tango down (if they ever come out with it)

Thats all i can think of right now....

Thanks for all responses so far!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6b36b80306374167922aa84d9cd3f668/fc4790e3.jpg[/img]

I love mine, cant believe someone didnt think of it sooner. it is very balanced for MY AR, it seems pretty durable, (havent ran out of ammo and started beating anyone with it yet. YET!!!)

Ya dont get the BONG sound from reg. hollow buttstock. it fits well into my arm and is correct length for me 5'8", they do have shorter versions also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm so excited over this thing...i'm gonna have a post will many pics once it's done...here's a preview though:

Bushmaster upper/lower 16" fluted
A.R.M.S.  S.I.R. #50
A.R.M.S. #40
Ace ARFX-E (thanks to this post i'm sold)
Eotech 551 or 552 (trying to decide whats more important: battery life or looks)
Firs samco G27 grip.
GG&G Vertical Foregrip OR tango down (if they ever come out with it)

Thats all i can think of right now....

Thanks for all responses so far!
View Quote

Very cool.  I have the G27 on mine as well and love it.  Very jealous that you'll have a SIR on yours.  Now that I'm home I was able to find the link to a picture of mine so you can get a look.  I went with the aimpoint.  Not a fan of the EOTech, but only because of looks[:P]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056122.JPG[/img]

Hey Die-tryin, that is a [b]SWEET[/b] lookin' rifle!  I love that camo scheme!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks, [:D]. i like the looks of the stubby ACE stock too, when i got mine, i was unaware they made diff. sizes, but im happy with mine, I have a bushy Dissy model that i was thinkin of adding it too, but i already went with Green furniture on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
On topic:  I have two Ace stocks (1 AR, 1 AK), they look great on carbines and work very well.

Somewhat off topic:  Die-Tryin, how'd you camo the foam?  Paint (or however?) and foam don't seem to mix well.

Totally off topic:  drop those camo mags in the woods and you'll "die-tryin" to find em... poor attempt at humor?

Scot
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#12]
lol.. very nice. the finish was done by SAS ARMORY in AL, its a milspec finish, so im assuming that the same "paint" that was applied to the metal and plastic is the same that was used on the foam, i have taken this to the range about 12 times now and it is holding up, the paint isnt coming off the foam at all.

back on topic: i would be interested in seeing the AK ace stock, unless im thinkin there is more to it than there really is? hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]
For those considering/using the ARFX-E but feel it is too short, even with the 1" pad, you may want to try out Knight's Single Point Sling adaptor for A2 stocks - this will add an additional inch and give you a sling swivel that swings to either side.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the longer one on my Bushmaster M4. I wasn't going to get it but now I'm glad that I did.

A whole lot better than the fixed telestock. Cheek position is ok and a lot softer. I think the foam pad is pretty tough. I had a hard time getting it on even with a little soap. Just make sure that you get the rear pad with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#15]
The Ace website is www.riflestocks.com.  I bought my first AK stock set/US parts kit from them 8 or 9 years ago.  Their early products were a little more crude than his current products which are really top quality.  The AK stocks are almost the same as the AR ones, minus the foam tube cover.  They do have the advantage of being VERY modular and easily converted to folding (not AR, obviously!).  I cannot wait for the AWB to sunset, he'll be seeing even more of my business!

Scot  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I bought an Ace stock for my Daewoo back in '97 or '98.  More crude than the current offerings but rock solid and durable as ever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The pad is made of a type of rubber I find to be too squishy/sticky feeling. I would prefer a more solid rubber one.
View Quote

They offer a hard nylon one too if you don't like the squishy and sticky rubber one ([url]http://www.riflestocks.com/adapters.html[/url], about halfway down the page).
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pad is made of a type of rubber I find to be too squishy/sticky feeling. I would prefer a more solid rubber one.
View Quote

They offer a hard nylon one too if you don't like the squishy and sticky rubber one ([url]http://www.riflestocks.com/adapters.html[/url], about halfway down the page).
View Quote

Texasblueline,
Thanks! That's what I would like. It's only .5 thick, but I could make spacers for it to adjust to my liking.
MIKE
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]"Screws onto all
ACE manufactured stocks shipped after 8-1-02. Weight 45g. ( 1.6 oz)"[/b] -- copied from their website.

What's different about the newer ACE stocks that won't allow the hard buttplate to mount to the older(??) version? Looks the same...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top