Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:43 PM EDT
I hear that Nightforce is releasing a new 1-4 variable optic for ar15. Anyone got any data on it?

FOV, Size, Weight, Reticle, Illuminated?, Eye relief and other Details would be nice as would be pictures.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
MSTN - while I am sure you did not come up with the term "close range mil dot" can you please give insight as to what this means?

I mean..... a mil dot is a mil dot for a reason.... a corresponding mathmatical realationship between target size / distance / ret reading.

So for the clueless (me) what does close range mil dot mean?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IT WILL NOT HIT THE STREETS UNTIL THE NEW YEAR, I HAVE BEEN TOLD.

THE NIGHTFORCE 1-4X NXS LOOKS MUCH LIKE THE 2.5-10X NXS, JUST A FRACTION OF AN INCH SHORTER. LIKE THE 2.5-10X, IT WEIGHS 17 OZ. RETICLE CHOICES WILL BE:

NP-1
NP-R2
CLOSE-RANGE MIL-DOT
FC-2

YOU CAN TELL WHICH RETICLE I'M GOING TO GET.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Wes,  is the new 1-4 going to cost about the same as the 2.5-10 too?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:IT WILL NOT HIT THE STREETS UNTIL THE NEW YEAR, I HAVE BEEN TOLD.

THE NIGHTFORCE 1-4X NXS LOOKS MUCH LIKE THE 2.5-10X NXS, JUST A FRACTION OF AN INCH SHORTER. LIKE THE 2.5-10X, IT WEIGHS 17 OZ. RETICLE CHOICES WILL BE:

NP-1
NP-R2
CLOSE-RANGE MIL-DOT
FC-2

YOU CAN TELL WHICH RETICLE I'M GOING TO GET.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

adh,

With a late '04 or early '05 delivery, pricing I'm sure is subject to change. I plan on getting one as soon as they are available from Wes. Hopefully, they will be some what cheaper, but I'm not counting on it so I budgeting accordingly. BTW: The FC-2 reticle is the one to get with this one.

Edited: I can't spell worth crap.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

adh,

With a late '04 or early '05 delivery, pricing I sure is subject to change. I plan on getting one as soon as they are available from Wes. Hopefully, they will be some what cheaper, but I'm not counting on it so I budgeting accordingly. BTW: The FC-2 reticle is the one to get with this one.

back to the illuminated  Leupy 1.5-5x20mm for me then.  Unless there was going to be a pretty significant difference in cost the Leupy is the one for me - damn lack of overtime at work is killing me!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
MSTN - while I am sure you did not come up with the term "close range mil dot" can you please give insight as to what this means?
I mean..... a mil dot is a mil dot for a reason.... a corresponding mathmatical realationship between target size / distance / ret reading.

I'm sure someome like Quietshooter can give you a more detail description. The CR-MilDot is good for <600M shots (using the MilDot system for windage and hold over). The additional benefit, is this reticle lends its self to BAC shooting. This is my personnal experience with it. Prior to this, I have avoid magnified optics (ACOG's have always been a hot comodities - for price & availability), such that I stuck only with Aimpoints. This is the first reticle/optic that I feel comfortable with magnified optics & the "surprise - close in" BAC capability.

QS, I'd be very interested in your input.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi..

Does Nightforce`s illuminated reticle glow also in daylight? ...What I mean is it "BAC"-cabaple.

AH
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

adh,

With a late '04 or early '05 delivery, pricing I sure is subject to change. I plan on getting one as soon as they are available from Wes. Hopefully, they will be some what cheaper, but I'm not counting on it so I budgeting accordingly. BTW: The FC-2 reticle is the one to get with this one.

back to the illuminated  Leupy 1.5-5x20mm for me then.  Unless there was going to be a pretty significant difference in cost the Leupy is the one for me - damn lack of overtime at work is killing me!

I feel your pain, except I don't get OT pay. Whether its 40-120hrs, its the same. It's been more like 80-90hrs/wk avearge, for 3 months & going.

adh, just for my info, what's your application? Like I said, its too early for Dealers to give a consumer price on the 1-4X NXS.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hi..
Does Nightforce`s illuminated reticle glow also in daylight? ...What I mean is it "BAC"-cabaple.

AH

There are two ways to use it, illuminated (front cover on) or normal BAC either way (illuminated or not}
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi..

AH

There are two ways to use it, illuminated (front cover on) or normal BAC either way (illuminated or not}

Thank you for info...

Hope that price will be little bit less than what finnish importer wants from NXS 2,5 - 10x24  ... 1592 Euro = 1922,71$   hoice..
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi..

AH

Thank you for info...

Hope that price will be little bit less than what finnish importer wants from NXS 2,5 - 10x24  ... 1592 Euro = 1922,71$  

Zeiss Varipoint 1-4 starts to be wery competing choice..  

There's always THE Free US of A (Texas, for any proud gun owner, all others need not apply). But, after numerous trips the the "EU" & Mid-East and other locals, I can understand you pain.  

Take care..
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hi adh
The Nightforce 1-4x is going to be $1,057.00 the 2.5-10x are $1096.52.

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]
Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
Mike at CS Gunworks is...

for that price wouldn't the Acogs draw closer attention?

mark
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
oooops
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure someome like Quietshooter can give you a more detail description. The CR-MilDot is good for <600M shots (using the MilDot system for windage and hold over). The additional benefit, is this reticle lends its self to BAC shooting. This is my personnal experience with it. Prior to this, I have avoid magnified optics (ACOG's have always been a hot comodities - for price & availability), such that I stuck only with Aimpoints. This is the first reticle/optic that I feel comfortable with magnified optics & the "surprise - close in" BAC capability.

QS, I'd be very interested in your input.

Interesting - good for <600 yrds - wow - and here I thought I mil dot was based on milradians, and as a result the ratios expressed as mil dot readings gave distances based on this mathmatical relationship...... silly me.

Sounds like marketing hype. A mil dot is a mil dot. Otherwise it is a proprietary ret.

I will be interested in the feedback on these as NF does make a very high quality product.

Another question for those that would know:

Will this new model have a zero stop?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi..

AH

Thank you for info...

Hope that price will be little bit less than what finnish importer wants from NXS 2,5 - 10x24  ... 1592 Euro = 1922,71$   hoice..

There's always THE Free US of A (Texas, for any proud gun owner, all others need not apply). But, after numerous trips the the "EU" & Mid-East and other locals, I can understand you pain.  

Take care..

There´s no place like home.. so I think I stay in Finland. Holidaytrip
for my purposes(IPSC and Finnish Army Reserve-shooting competitions)  Nightforce seems to be best choice. For close distances you can use 1x and 300 meters pepper-poppers 4x magnification. I have Aimpoint CompML at the moment. Very good sight, but longer distances cost time when you compare yourself to riflescopeshooters.
Other my choices are
IOR 1,1 - 4 Good scope, but I am not the biggest fan of their cqp reticle.
Meopta 1-4x22 K-Dot, Reticle is also problem = too big 10 moa center dot
Zeiss 1-4 varipoint. everything else good, but price
Acog  doun´t like fixed magnification

AGOC Would be "cool", but fixed amplification isn´t good for close distances(at least for me) and they are even more expensive in here than Nightforce!! For example Trijicon TA55 ACOG Scope 5.5x 50mm Red Chevron BAC Flattop .223 Reticle with Flattop Adapter in MidWaySuomi.com is 2571€ = 3136$ !! You can imagine how many they sell those...

So If you want to be cost-efficient. You have to Import your own "goodies" straight from US.

CSGunWorkscom do you have international sales? hug.gif

AH

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Lilja is selling the scope for $1004.  

www.riflebarrels.com/products/nightforce_scopes.htm

Also note what the FC2 reticle looks like.

www.riflebarrels.com/products/fc2.pdf

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody know the eye relief on the 1-4?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Interesting - good for <600 yrds - wow - and here I thought I mil dot was based on milradians, and as a result the ratios expressed as mil dot readings gave distances based on this mathmatical relationship...... silly me.

Sounds like marketing hype. A mil dot is a mil dot. Otherwise it is a proprietary ret.

I will be interested in the feedback on these as NF does make a very high quality product.

Another question for those that would know:

Will this new model have a zero stop?

Just FYI:
The biggest diference is the standard Mil-Dot reticle has  a 1 Mil dot pitch, the CR Mil-Dot has a 1/2 Mil dot pitch, both have 4 dots on each axis.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Can you see the illuminated reticle on a Nightforce scope during the daytime?  Also, I dont know what the battery life is when the illumination is set to maximum.  Does anyone know what the battery run time is supposed to be on average or when at maximum power?

At 8.7" its about an inch longer than I would like and at 16.5 oz its about 2-3 oz heavier than Id like.  Other than that it appears to be the ultimate "do everything" optic if the battery life is long enough and the reticle bright enough.

Also I notice the FC2 reticle looks like an EOthing but with a slightly larger center dot and small out ring so it would be less ditracting that the giant "circle of dots" on the EOthing.  The addition of the lines to make sure the rifle is not canted is uncluttered enough to not be distracting yet maintain accuracy on those 300 yard shots.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can you see the illuminated reticle on a Nightforce scope during the daytime?  Also, I dont know what the battery life is when the illumination is set to maximum.  Does anyone know what the battery run time is supposed to be on average or when at maximum power?

At 8.7" its about an inch longer than I would like and at 16.5 oz its about 2-3 oz heavier than Id like.  Other than that it appears to be the ultimate "do everything" optic if the battery life is long enough and the reticle bright enough.

Also I notice the FC2 reticle looks like an EOthing but with a slightly larger center dot and small out ring so it would be less ditracting that the giant "circle of dots" on the EOthing.  The addition of the lines to make sure the rifle is not canted is uncluttered enough to not be distracting yet maintain accuracy on those 300 yard shots.

Yes it is visible in full daylight with the right brightness setting. I have not tested it's battery life. It uses a single CR2032 battery.

I have only seen pictures of the FC-2 reticle. Your description pretty much sums up why I am interested in one on the 1-4X.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top