Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/2/2009 7:51:45 PM EST
i know it makes a great lube on lots of things and since attracting dirt and grime is a direct result of sticky lubes would this work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:10:00 PM EST
You're really off track.

Graphite is not recommended for ARs since it reacts chemically with aluminum. Some say this is a non-issue because the anodizing should protect the aluminum from corrosion, but others say its still a bad idea.

Second, it won't work because graphite is a powder which will not adhere to the surfaces.

Third, your belief that lube "attracts dirt" is mistaken.

Any grease type lubricant would make a pretty good trigger lube, just daub it on the contact surfaces. A heavy moly grease will make a noticeable difference in trigger pull and should last a while.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:44:42 PM EST
Some Moly Greases have Graphite in them.

I use Slide Glide, though other like Tetra, SC Grease, or Jardine's Extreme.

Remember a light touch is all you need. A little goes a loong way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:09:25 AM EST

I did not say all Lubes, some lubes are a dry lube which dirt will not stick too, but where a grease or heavy oil will allow grit to stick to it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:13:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 4:14:10 AM EST by jkingrph]
I am using boron nitride powder mixed into some mil tech 2 grease. Boron nitride is also called white graphite,
much cleaner than graphite or moly and is more heat resistant. A touch of the powder on your fingers and it feels extremely smooth. It is so safe to use that it does find a use in creams and lotions to make them feel silky and smooth, it is what gives some lotions a pearly appearance.

It is also being used as a bullet coating in place of moly or tungsten disulphide.

I have even added a little to some Mobil 1 oil and use as a super slick oil.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:46 AM EST
I use Permatex Anti-Sieze paste lube on the trigger/hammer mating surfaces on all of my firearms. It makes the trigger pull much smoother. It's good for chole tube threads as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:13:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By jkingrph:
I am using boron nitride powder mixed into some mil tech 2 grease.

I tried the same thing using synthetic grease and it works great. I'll have to try the HBN in synthetic oil.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:24:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
You're really off track.

Graphite is not recommended for ARs since it reacts chemically with aluminum. Some say this is a non-issue because the anodizing should protect the aluminum from corrosion, but others say its still a bad idea.

Second, it won't work because graphite is a powder which will not adhere to the surfaces.

Any grease type lubricant would make a pretty good trigger lube, just daub it on the contact surfaces. A heavy moly grease will make a noticeable difference in trigger pull and should last a while.

Graghite is BTG. Save it for your locks and such.
Stick with a recommended lube.

Top Top