Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2002 7:36:37 AM EDT
I saw some of these scopes for sale on e-bay. Are these foreign imports that are well made but very inexpensive, or should you avoid these altogether?
http://www.crankyfarmer.com/scopes.html
Just want to make sure before i commit

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not say they are well made but they may suffice for static range usages.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you clarify what you mean by static range uses?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
KD prone/ bench shooting - as opposed to more active types.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
what kind of scope/ system do you recommend for 24" A2?

PS
Merry Christmas

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You get what you pay for !
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Eddie,

I would not get an A2 with a 24" bbl

While not a big fan of 24" bbls the only reason I can see for them is benchrest/varmiting, with an optic.
The A2's can take optics but are not nearly in the same boat as the Flattops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me filll you in on the 24". I was talking to a friend of mine about barrels because I was going to place an oreder for a kit. He told me he had a stainless steel barrel and upper receiver lying around that I could have for free. Thats the only reason why I have it. He is a varmit hunter that explains the lenght. I am waiting for the arrival of my parts kits so I can start assembling the rifle. I am still thinking about getting a complete 20" A2. Or just ordering a 20" barrel and swapping it out as needed. Would I need to buy a dedicated bolt for both of the barrels if I use the same upper? Sorry this is long.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Would I need to buy a dedicated bolt for both of the barrels
View Quote
You [i]should[/i] have a bolt for each barrel.  (It will [i]probably[/i] be OK to use the same bolt, but be sure to check headspace each time you install it to make sure it's safe.)  Using the same carrier is OK.
ordering a 20" barrel and swapping it out as needed
View Quote
Swapping barrels is not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.  If I understand correctly, you have a free 24" SS barrel, and a free A2 upper.  Given those two parts, I'd order a kit with a flat-top upper and then put the 24" SS barrel on the flat-top and the 20" barrel (or whatever) from the kit on the A2 upper.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top