Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 11:46:10 AM EDT
I'm sitting here, on the edge of painting the ar...I'm just wondering how much I'll regret it afterwards.
Always loved the look of a faded, used up painted AR....

Thinking from this:

To something along the lines of one of these:?  I like the basic, nothing fancy.
A)

B)

Paint or leave it alone?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
leave it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
be a man and paint it!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Paint it and dont look back.  Everyone has a black one.  Make it yours.   And those paint schemes look bad ass by the way.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Paint it, it takes some balls to paint a $2K rifle!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
paint it up
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If its your only AR, leave it.

If its your go to, beater most reliable AR; paint the shit out of it. You don't wanna get picked off for having a shiny new rifle DO YOU?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
DO IT!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If its your only AR, leave it.

If its your go to, beater most reliable AR; paint the shit out of it. You don't wanna get picked off for having a shiny new rifle DO YOU?!?!?!?!

Its my only  and to paint a rifle that cost me 2800$ and then not like it will be depressing.
If my money was not invested in other things, i'd buy another, put  a KAC ras on it, eotech 512, a sopmod and paint it.

We'll see i might.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
DON'T DO IT ! ! !

Build up a 2nd cheap one and paint that thing, once you get a "feel" for what you'd like and get better at it, perfect it on your favorite, if you wish.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd wait until you have another rifle. Then you can have your standard black and your painted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Krylon. Paint away and if you hate it you can always remove it and start over.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
You cant screw up camo use krylon,tape of the optics and anything you dont want paint on.Use an exacto and cut shapes from paper,thin plastic or thin cardboard.Use the already black rifle as is for the base color and add grrenn,brown and tan stripes or what ever shape for a more jungle look go 2 greens and a brown or tan or desert 2 shades of tan with brown..go gor it.I could never understand it when people by camo clothes and gear for their all black rifle..blend it in with the gear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
How about painting just the furniture, that way if you hate it you can simply buy a new set of black.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
to WLPITBULL nice pattern
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Just paint it. You really can undo it to the point that nobody could tell it was painted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't be a goof ball, leave it be. Good friends don't let good friends paint thier AR's....<><....:)  

Of course, if you want it to lose a couple of hundred dollars of vaule and you want to look like a Mall Ninja, spray away....:{
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
leave it

This
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
leave it

This

That
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
For those of us who actualy go out and use the rifles I dont think its mall nin ja to paint a rifle when your trying to blend in with your surroundings.I own property out of state and I like to blend in when im in the woods on my land with my buddies.Theres a reason why special forces types use camo weapons...so they can fully blend in to..either way to each his own I dont like labels...armed americans were here before the military or police so Id hardly call any armed american a mall ninja.I use cmao weapons more because it serves a purpose for my needs and uses but like I said to each his own.I worry less about value and more about whats wanted or needed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have painted atleast 6 AR15s and not one of them did I say shit I fucked that up.......do it but only if you have two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't be a goof ball, leave it be. Good friends don't let good friends paint thier AR's....<><....:)  

Of course, if you want it to lose a couple of hundred dollars of vaule and you want to look like a Mall Ninja, spray away....:{

Never going to sell it, so value is not a concern.

Always loved this painted rifle. I assume its fairly easy to do, and probably requires no stencils.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pretty funny thread title. I can see someone sitting there with the paint can in hand rubbing his head and muttering "Er don't know if this is a good idea, geez hmmm"

I would like to but have never done one so I don't want it to look like shit. How well does the paint hold up or is the worn look part of it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Paint it....I vote for A, but I'm in South Tx and that would work better than the green.

Also if you krylon and don't like it, just throw some laquer thinner on it and wipe it off and try again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Or you live somewhere hot, like in a desert, painting will keep the heat down.

Spay it, I do gun kote as a base either green or tan, then highlight with krylon, that way I have a good base and can change highlights as the season changes

but Then again I'm just a mall ninja, and common sense doesn't apply
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
i painted mine twice...gradually decided i liked the black better so now i want to get it re-coated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty funny thread title. I can see someone sitting there with the paint can in hand rubbing his head and muttering "Er don't know if this is a good idea, geez hmmm"

I would like to but have never done one so I don't want it to look like shit. How well does the paint hold up or is the worn look part of it?

Worn look is awesome!

Quoted:
Paint it....I vote for A, but I'm in South Tx and that would work better than the green.

Also if you krylon and don't like it, just throw some laquer thinner on it and wipe it off and try again.

Have any pics of a gun thats been laquered back to black?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you live somewhere hot, like in a desert, painting will keep the heat down.

Spay it, I do gun kote as a base either green or tan, then highlight with krylon, that way I have a good base and can change highlights as the season changes

but Then again I'm just a mall ninja, and common sense doesn't apply

Is gun kote a can spray like krylon or is it like the paint gun type thing?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#28]
go ahead. paint it.   just use kryon,  if you dont like it, 30 minutes with a rag and brake parts cleaner will remove it all anyway
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't do it.

At least if you do Take off the ACOG before and Don't paint it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
No.

What do you want to achieve by painting it? If you are worried about resale value or just want it to LOOK cool, then stick to black or pay someone to do a custom paint job on it.

If you want to break up the outline so it doesn't get picked out as easy then take some Krylon and start with the lightest color from your choices first. Then use foliage or such as a stencil for the darker colors. For urban I'd use angles instead of foliage.

For me, I do not think of my rifle's value in dollars. I define the value of my AR in:

1> It is light enough that I am able to carry it all day, practice malfunction or reload drills, or cover targets for hours until the cops or reinforcements arrive AND MY ARMS WONT FALL OFF!
2> I can HIT what I want with it.
3> It doesn't give my location up by making a silhouette.

Here's two identical carbines (except for the can and paint), in the wide open.

And the painted one by itself:

The paint will rub off in some places if you actually train with or use it. The worst spot on mine is where I get my cheekweld. Controls and high spots next. It's easy to touch up if you want.

Don't paint the part of the magazine that goes into the magwell. Put tape over the front sight post and rear peeps. Go light on the small moving parts and move them between coats. Don't forget to flip the selector, turn the A2 elevation wheel, etc. Make sure dust cover is closed. If you do the sling it will be stiff at first. Again, that fixes itself with use.

Remember what Confucius say: Man with pristine carbine has little practice with it.

Scharfschutz out

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#31]
How about a once-painted rifle that has been broken up and transplated onto other rifles?

then...

now...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Just don't make it look like a toy. I still don't sleep right after seeing those pink AR's awhile back ....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#33]
dont care about resale value, as I dont plan on ever selling it. I love the look of a worn painted rifle.
It adds character. I just wish I had 2
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
paint it desert style and put up some pics. we will tell you if you should regret it or not lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep.
I tried the pinestraw first and didn't care for it at all.
Stripped it back down and did multicam. I like it much better.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
dont care about resale value, as I dont plan on ever selling it. I love the look of a worn painted rifle.
It adds character. I just wish I had 2

Not too much wear...but some...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy a cheap airsoft and paint that first.......if you like it, then do the real rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#38]
If you want the paint to be a lot more durable than krylon, then try duracoat.  It's a little expensive, but I just did my first rifle in OD green - a rem 700p.  I had krylon'd it twice before and I was never happy with the color.  Brake cleaner took too long to remove the krylon so I used laquer thinner.  About 20-30 mins later the rifle looked exactly how it did when I bought it.  Then I duracoated it along with a leupold mark 4 scope and love it.  The key to the painting thing is prep work.  Check out some alot of other paint jobs in the refinishing forum.
Linky
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#39]

If you paint it and like it, you inevitably see a photo of a black one that looks really badass, then you will regret it.

I'd get another one first.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't do it!! That is a bad-ass rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you want the paint to be a lot more durable than krylon, then try duracoat.  It's a little expensive, but I just did my first rifle in OD green - a rem 700p.  I had krylon'd it twice before and I was never happy with the color.  Brake cleaner took too long to remove the krylon so I used laquer thinner.  About 20-30 mins later the rifle looked exactly how it did when I bought it.  Then I duracoated it along with a leupold mark 4 scope and love it.  The key to the painting thing is prep work.  Check out some alot of other paint jobs in the refinishing forum.
Linky

duracoat is expensive,and takes more work. We'll see. Still need to think about it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#42]
- Only use duracoat if you are going to do it, krylon is cool for the sandbox but it looks like shit and just chips off and looks like even more shit. (If you care about looks that it)
- If you do paint FDE leave try leaving the pins and buttons unpainted, looks more professional than a rifle sprayed all over. (Again, if you care about looks)
- I Kryloned my AK FDE once with some camo and did a good job but regretted it and stripped it the very next day. And that is a bitch to get every last bit of paint off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Paint it

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Leave it....buy an Air Soft paint that. If SHTF then paint it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
paint it,don't look back
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Make it look so ugly no one will want to steal it.

Just like that old song..."Never make a pretty woman your wife"
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Painting a car red dosn't make it go faster.

Painting a rifle camo dosn't make it shoot better.

Paint it if you want to. It's your rifle and your hobby, as mentioned krylon comes off pretty easy if you don't like how it turned out and want to retry.

If you can't get the paint off 100% then it will affect resale of the rifle and any parts you paint.

I don't understand how either side can get so worked up about this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Just bought Krylon two days ago intending to paint one of mine.    I have always preferred "used" stuff.  Something about a tool that has been used.  If the paint reminds me that the rifle has been used, then all is well.  If I really like it, I can clean and duracoat later.

The designs you are considering are VERY classy.  Go for it.  You only live once.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
use the thing untill the original finish is beat to hell and then paint it =] that way it doesnt matter either way....or..beat on your chest and grunt a few times, grab the damn paint and have at it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
DON'T DO IT ! ! !

Build up a 2nd cheap one and paint that thing, once you get a "feel" for what you'd like and get better at it, perfect it on your favorite, if you wish.

OR, he can have a "Hey yall.... watch'is" moment

I'm a purist and I couldn't imagine stripping any of my wpnz of their evl blkness....

"DROP THE CAN AND PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR".... " turn around"..... "now walk backwards to the sound of my voice...."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top