Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 2:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 4:30:43 PM EDT by Dace]
It has a tight fit on my Mega and other uppers. However it was a little loose on a Bushmaster upper. So I bought a CMT flattop upper, and now its even more loose. I cranked it down as far as it will go and it is extremely loose. I can rock is right to left and fore and aft by a lot. Anyone else have this problem? If you did what did you do to solve it?

**UPDATE**

I contacted LMT and they said to send the BUIS back to them and even provided a return shipping label online.

Well I just got home and there was a brand new LMT BUIS waiting for me. It fits perfectly and there is absolutely no play with plenty of room to tighten it down even farther.

Awesome customer service.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:58:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dace:
It has a tight fit on my Mega and other uppers. However it was a little loose on a Bushmaster upper. So I bought a CMT flattop upper, and now its even more loose. I cranked it down as far as it will go and it is extremely loose. I can rock is right to left and fore and aft by a lot. Anyone else have this problem? If you did what did you do to solve it?

I had the exact same problem with an LMT BUIS on a Bushmaster upper and the sight was tight as can be on my Fulton Armory upper. I sent the sight back to the vendor I purchsed it from to make sure the sight was good and it was. I ended up sending the upper back to Bushmaster and they replaced it.

The LMT sight is specifically designed for mil-spec uppers, at least that's what I was told by the vendor (a very, very reputable one BTW) I purchased it from. That doesn't explain why you're having problems with your CMT upper thought. IIRC, they are supposed to be mil-spec. I currently have the LMT sight on my RRA 9mm upper and it fits fine. I have read accounts (on these boards) in which others have had problems with their LMT sights being loose on various uppers as well.

If I ever get another fixed rear sight, I'm going to Larue. I'd rather have a QD latch and I have come to realize that elevation adjustment on a BUIS is unnecessary, at least IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:42:25 PM EDT

My LMT BUIS fits good with my LMT and Colt M4 uppers.

Check your clamp on the BUIS, sometimes this clamp would turn around upside down when removing it.

You could try to clamp it both ways, mount it and mount it again turning the clamp upside down.

Tighten the BUIS with a coin. If it fits on some of your uppers and not on others, then there is a good chance that the ones that don't fit have out of spec rails.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alpha-Romeo3:

My LMT BUIS fits good with my LMT and Colt M4 uppers.

Check your clamp on the BUIS, sometimes this clamp would turn around upside down when removing it.

You could try to clamp it both ways, mount it and mount it again turning the clamp upside down.

Tighten the BUIS with a coin. If it fits on some of your uppers and not on others, then there is a good chance that the ones that don't fit have out of spec rails.

I tried clamping it with a coin, and now I cant get it undone, with the coin, my hand or the knowb wrapped ina towel and my hand.

I am going to contact the vendor who sold me the CMT upper and see what they have to say, I already have to ship back a barrel they sent me on accident (instead of the barrel I actually ordered), hopefully they can fix this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 6:01:05 PM EDT by Dace]
And oddly enough, how it happened I dont know, someone actually contacted me on the weekend. They stated as they are a military contractor their rails are milspec and anything that they make which fits those rails is also mil spec guaranteed. So this must be a problem with the CMT upper.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:03:37 PM EDT
Tight on my Colt...just how I likes it!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT by BravoCompanyUSA]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:12:23 PM EDT

And oddly enough, how it happened I dont know, someone actually contacted me on the weekend. They stated as they are a military contractor their rails are milspec and anything that they make which fits those rails is also mil spec guaranteed. So this must be a problem with the CMT upper.

I remembered I had a CMT upper for my future project and I dug it out.

My CMT upper is the standard model not the model with the M4 cuts, which I bought at the EE (G&R Tactical) last April.

The LMT BUIS using only finger pressure on the mounting knob fits good on it also.

Please check your clamp, it is not symmetrical, the sharp knife edge should be down and the blunt edge should be up.

You could also check the suspect rails with other mounts like scope mounts, tac light mounts, carry handle sight etc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 3:33:01 AM EDT by WILDBILL756]
My LMT BUIS is good and tight on my LMT upper..
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:00:29 AM EDT
I actually has to secure mine LMT BUIS with a quarter, and pliers on my original rifle. Which was a BM. I then got a LMT upper and swap the BUIS on to that. Tried the quarter trick, but now, it kept bending up my quarters and the BUIS was still loose. Slides forward and backwards about 1mm.

I used the end of my Armor's Wrench, that looks like a chisel, and used that to turn and tighten my BUIS tight. I had to turn it so tight, that the plastic behind the knob on the buis got squished off it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:44:02 AM EDT

I remembered I had a CMT upper for my future project and I dug it out.

My CMT upper is the standard model not the model with the M4 cuts, which I bought at the EE (G&R Tactical) last April.

The LMT BUIS using only finger pressure on the mounting knob fits good on it also.

Please check your clamp, it is not symmetrical, the sharp knife edge should be down and the blunt edge should be up.

You could also check the suspect rails with other mounts like scope mounts, tac light mounts, carry handle sight etc.

Good luck.

I just dont know what going on now.

I put the LMT BUIS on my LaRue free float rail and it fits perfectly.

I then tried out my Arms #40 on the CMT rail and it fits tight.

At this point I do not know what going on, I think I am going to shave a little metal off the LMT to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:05:18 PM EDT
Mine fits my RRA upper really tight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:46:05 AM EDT

At this point I do not know what going on, I think I am going to shave a little metal off the LMT to get it to fit.

The BUIS is an interchangeable part, if you modify it, it might not fit on your other rails and the maker might not honor the warranty.

If you're going to permanently install it to just one rifle, modifying it should improve the fit.

It's up to you. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:53:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CAAAwarfighter:
Mine fits my RRA upper really tight.

Yep, fits tight as a drum on my RRA. It's tight on my CMT upper too. Don't know what to tell you, but something's definitely wrong, they should not be even a little bit loose. MJD
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:38:01 PM EDT
mine is tight on my LMT upper, no problems
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 4:11:19 PM EDT by Dace]

The BUIS is an interchangeable part, if you modify it, it might not fit on your other rails and the maker might not honor the warranty.

If you're going to permanently install it to just one rifle, modifying it should improve the fit.

I guess I figured LMT does not sell directly to private parties and there would be no warranty. I contacted their sales staff and within 5 minutes had a reply.

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 2:01 PM
To: sales
Subject: Warranty policy

Hello,

I am writing you today to inquire of your company's warranty policy if any. I purchased an LMT BUIS to use in conjunction with my Aimpoint ML2. However when I installed it on one of my rails, the sight is very loose. To insure my rail was not out of spec, I tried installing it on various rifles I own, and only on one was it a tight fit and unmoving. On all the other rifles the sight had some play in it. For and aft / right to left. Some worse then others. Does your company provide any type of warranty for this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

XXXXXXXXX

Response from LMT:
Yes, I apologize for the inconvenience of getting your item and it not properly functioning to your likeing. I will send you an Electronic Return Label via your email address I have above. Please print this out from your email and tape it to the box, then either give it to your UPS guy if he makes a normal everyday delivery or take it to your local UPS drop off.

Please notify me by tomorrow morning if you don't receive this but, it should come immediately and it will come via your email. The only thing I will need from you before I can do the email is your shipping address. Please email me asap with this info and I will do this for you immediately.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,

Angela XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
Sales Representative
Lewis Machine & Tool Co.
1305 W. 11th Street
Milan, IL. 61264
PH: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
FX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
EMAIL: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
www.lewismachine.net
This transmission may contain confidential or privileged information, which is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which the transmission is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

She then sent me a UPS tracking label.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:23:04 PM EDT

I guess I figured LMT does not sell directly to private parties and there would be no warranty. I contacted their sales staff and within 5 minutes had a reply.

She then sent me a UPS tracking label.

LMT sells to private parties on their website, by going to their Civilian Purchase link and logging in. A customer account must be established first then they will give you your customer ID and password.

I already have my customer account but haven't purchased from their site yet.

They only don't sell complete rifles to civilians, but that's no problem. I bought my rifle by getting the upper half, then the lower half separately from one of the many sellers at the EE.

That's great news about your contact with them, let us know how it turned out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:31:01 PM EDT
Update in original thread.
Top Top