Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 5:04:21 PM EDT
I just bought my Armalite AR-15 two weeks ago.  Already I have bought 21 mags, 1000 rounds of ammo, 20 mag pouches, a scope, a Harris bipod, a LULA loader/unloader, and a case for it.

Someone tell me they spent more money on their AR in the first few weeks so I don't feel so bad. :)

Wes
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You need more mags and more ammo.
I can stop any time I want to....
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, he's right.  You need MORE.

You should keep a thousand rounds handy, already loaded into magazines,  and another 1500 in reserve on stripper clips, of which at least 1000 should be repacked into bandoliers and ammo cans.

If you use stripper clips, you can get along without the LULA.  

The best way to unload your magazines: Set the selector switch to AUTO and hold the trigger down!

CJ
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
you are not alone.
they are very addictive.
the more you hang out here the worse it gets.
that has been my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you are not alone.
they are very addictive.
the more you hang out here the worse it gets.
that has been my experience anyway.

What he said!!

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
My name is Vinnie, and I am an AR-a-holic.  I stated with one, Bushmaster AK Shorty.  Then I decided I needed a 20inch upper.  I figured 2 guns for the price of 1 and a half...why not.  Well then I priced a lower from my local Gun store, and ended up buying 2.  So of course now I need a new upper, so I build an M4gery.  I keep thinking about buying a preban so I can have a telestock that functions...I don't even wanna talk about the amount of mags I have...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean they're addicting?? I've been so busy shopping for my seventh AR I never had time to stop and think about it...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the Dark Side, my son. This AR will be the first of many.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My name is Vinnie, and I am an AR-a-holic.  I stated with one, Bushmaster AK Shorty.  Then I decided I needed a 20inch upper.  I figured 2 guns for the price of 1 and a half...why not.  Well then I priced a lower from my local Gun store, and ended up buying 2.  So of course now I need a new upper, so I build an M4gery.  I keep thinking about buying a preban so I can have a telestock that functions...I don't even wanna talk about the amount of mags I have...

HA HA HA HA HA-----UHH, when and where is the next meeting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes (often) I feel like I have a misstress my wife knows nothing about. I keep it all bottled up in my head and only u guys/gals know about my addiction. Its like CRACK !!! Buy one part need another, buy spare parts and all too soon I need more parts to connect to the spare parts. Soon its another complete AR and I need more spare parts. Its a horrible cycle. Now I search thru the Shotgun News thinking about building FAL kits. Build, Build, Build !!!!

ITS MAKING ME MAD I TELL YOU!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Aint it the truth.  Two months ago I had three ARs and was fairly content.  Then I found this board.  In the last month and half I have dropped at least two grand into a new M4orgery.  It started out with just buying the reciever, then the upper, then the stock, optics and I still need to buy a surefire.  The sad thing is I damn well know I will start another one after this is finished.  If I don't, I will stock up on mags and ammo.  Oh well everyone needs a hobby.  It just means more OT.      
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys are LIGHTWEIGHTS.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I've decided I'll just get the ultimate AR the one I've been dreaming about for so long. Yes I can just sell one of my other 5 ARs and get it. No, forget that I can save up enough money. No need to sell one of my babies.

Then when I get it and get it all dressed up I'll be done. I won't need anymore, right? Right?

Oh who am I trying to kid.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Right!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
You only have one AR-15?

My prediction is that in 3 months you'll have at least 3 of them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#15]
In 2 weeks or so I`ll be up to 4 And its the one that started it all Colt SP1

edited for spelling by 223spree
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found that you're most likely to end up with more than one rifle if you set out to get a second complete upper.  You originally say "I'll have just one lower and switch uppers according to the type of shooting I'll be doing."   So you do that, and all's well, for at least one trip to the range, anyway.   But you realize that the spare upper is LONELY, so you have to go out and get another lower for it.   And the gate has opened, and it never closes...

CJ
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell me about it.  I started with a U.S. Customs trade-in of a Colt CAR-15.  Based upon a Pete Kokalis article, I bought a Bushmaster 16" upper because of the heavier barrel.  Sold the Colt to a co-worker (pre-ban time frame)and bought a Bushmaster collpsible stock lower.

Now I have both a fixed stock and collapsible stocked pre-bans with A2 20", A2 16" and A3 14.5" uppers and I just received an Armalite flattop to build an SPR.

Not to mention a slew of 20 and 30 round mags and pouches, ammo cans of 5.56 and the other accessories.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]
AR15? What's that?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#19]
No, sorry.  AR addiction can be beat.  I have done so.  I have two, a Bushy Shorty and a home built RRA, and I love them both.  But I can't bring myself to buy another because they just fit the bill so nicely.  Heresy, I know.  So burn me at the stake.

I think the key is understanding yourself and deciding NOT to buy stuff that isn't fun to shoot.  Some folks just buy it all and stick it in the safe.  I can't do this.  Over the years, I've bought and sold a bunch and I know that some types of firearms turn me on, and some don't.  Shotguns for instance, and revolvers, just have no interest to me.

However, I'm having a hard time not buying another rifle or pistol.  Went out and bought a bolt gun for long range sniping, and then had buyers remorse (though not enough to sell it, its too much fun to shoot.)  Have.. to... hold... myself... back...  

Sorry if I'm taking this too seriously.  Just don't do anything that'll get you into serious debt and/or marriage difficulties.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I too am successful resisting the AR addiction. I own only only one and have had it for a year. This board has made me dump money into a shitload of accessories, but I still have only one AR. Maybe the reason I keep my AR habit under control is that I'm too poor to actualy get what I want.

Now if I can only tackle this Skittles habit...
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Sporter II in '87, then sold it, bought Gov't Sporter when it first came out, then built an OLY lower w/Bushmaster 11.5/5.5 in '90. Bought a Sendra lower in '95?. Past 4yr I have managed to get the OLY SBR'd, bought a DPMS 7.5" Kitty Kat complete upper, assembled another short upper, bought 2 suppressors for AR's, couple scopes, mount, ring sets and a handfull of mags.

Now I have a 4th upper in mind for the SBR...drawings are done, need to scrounge up the money, Kurt says he can make, he seen drwaings already.
It will be a 8.5" 9mm barrel made from blank stock, cut at muzzle to look like an UZI w/out the barrel nut, and Kurts' "Big Ass Handguard" about an inch longer than carbine tube, thus I can screw on my AWC MK9 Uzi suppressor and have a set up similar to the firearm that "AMPHIBIAN" posts pic of once in while.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought my first AR in July, have bought about 50 mags since, have no clue how much ammo.  Just purchased a stripped lower from Pete-in-NH and should be buying one of those custom engraved Olympic lowers in the next few weeks.  Also hope to pick up a pre-ban and maybe and AK (I wish the LEGP project would get going) when I get my tax return.  

My wife said I needed a hobby.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I just bought my Armalite AR-15 two weeks ago.  Already I have bought 21 mags, 1000 rounds of ammo, 20 mag pouches, a scope, a Harris bipod, a LULA loader/unloader, and a case for it.

Someone tell me they spent more money on their AR in the first few weeks so I don't feel so bad. :)

Wes

Well Wes,

The addiction will continue to grow. You will wake up in the middle of the night with thoughts to ponder:

1. I one Beta-C enough?
2. I shouldn't have sold those mags. I am down to less than 100.
3. Oh, no, Ammoman is out of Q3131A and I'm 5K short on my SHTF supply. What am I going to do?
4. Fuck SG! Those bastards need to have another NRA member 20% off special. That way I could get 3 SA tubs from SG for less than $275 each shipped.
5. Does my Eagle Bag make my AR look fat? I wonder how many ARs I can get in the bag at one time?
6. I NEED a flat top with no front sight.
7. If I had a 20" & 16" from each of the major AR manufacturers, I could do a test and settle the discussion on AR15.com about which AR manufacturer is best. Let's see, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, RRA, PO, Olympic, Calvary Arms, who else...?

Then one day, you are bitten by the bug that eliminates your need for ARs. Yes, then all you can think of is:

SHRIKE
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
-now
-now
...now don't ge..ge..get me started!

....toooo laaaate
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#25]
You have to remember each AR has a purpose.  In a SHTF scenario you need one for yourself, one for the wife, one for each kid, one for your each of your parents, one for your best friend, one for his wife, one for your neighbor, ummm I know someone else will need one
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, I don't know guys - I just can't see buying another AR when there are so many other guns out there that I don't have.  I have one AR and would rather my next purchase be something completely different like a FN FAL, AR 50, precision bolt-gun, Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull, Marlin 45/70, Sig 229, M-1 Garand, M-1A, etc, etc, etc.  

Plus, if you want to buy good optics for your AR, they are going to cost you as much as an entire gun.  Nope, I'm just fine with one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

My name is Bob, and I am also a AR-Aholic.

I bought a Tapco kit about a year ago and then a lower, and then an upper, and then another lower, bunches of mags, lots of ammo, and then another upper, bunches of mags, lots of ammo, then another lower, then an upper, bunches of mags, lots of ammo, stocks, scopes, sights, handguards, SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Shrike One, Shrike Two, Shrike Three...

Oh, yeah, did I mention the SHRIKE

Do you think that 10,000 links is enough? Do I need more?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Is an AR ever complete? NO, by the time you fully accessorize it (which can cost more than the gun itself) you want other newer/better stuff for it, so you take off the aimpoint and mount an Acog, well now you have a spare aimpoint, but you cant bring yourself to sell it, it looks so lonly sitting there so you have to buy another AR for it, but now that AR has to be accessorised, its a never ending cycle.

Its worse (and more expensive) than drugs alcohol and gambling combined! for me anyway.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
And once you get past the Shrike stage, you start thinking about buying one of those Israeli surplus F-4 Phantoms...!

Or maybe even an F-16...so you start hitting all the government surplus auctions near fighter bases, hoping for one that's got a little road rash on the bottom but can probably be patched up with some Bondo and JB Weld.

And yes,  the Israelis ARE selling their F-4's, if you have deep pockets and know whom to blow at the State Department!

CJ
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Remember fellow AR-Aholics more is always better and last but not least. Keep your weapons clean so you can live to fight another day.

More is better * More is better *
    More is better * More is better !!

SaFe ShOoTiNg

Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Building my first AR was an exciting experience. The anticipation while waiting for my parts to be shipped was intense! My CAR kit came first, a J&T, and boy, was she a thing of beauty, even without the lower! A few days after that I got a call from my FFL that my lower came in. I picked up the lower after work and went straight home. Stayed up late putting it together, but she sure was worth it! At a gun show last Saturday I came upon a brand new Bushmaster stripped lower. I found it toward the end of the day after I had blown most of my gun money on ammo, mags, and accessories. It was the ONLY stripped lower receiver at the whole dang show! (and it was a big show). After talking to the seller, I told him I would dwell on it and get back with him. I went back to strolling around checking out the guns, but it was no use.... that BM receiver was like a giant magnet pulling me back to its table. I was so worried someone else would snatch it up! I ended up buying it, so now I am saving for another upper...

Addictive? I'll say....

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#33]
You either have to be TUFF or  POOR like me!!!
only one armalite a2 [>(] [>(]

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not addictive to Ar's- I only have three.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
It`s a sickness brother. I find myself planning my next build before the project at hand is done. You know what they say...it`s not possible to have too much money,have too much fun, or too many Ar`s!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't even have one yet and i've spent countless hours going through different parts and accessories that i want.  Not to mention how much time I've spent deciding what type of AR i want to build in the first place!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You have to remember each AR has a purpose.  In a SHTF scenario you need one for yourself, one for the wife, one for each kid, one for your each of your parents, one for your best friend, one for his wife, one for your neighbor, ummm I know someone else will need one hr

not to mention enough mags and ammo to keep them shooting for several hours
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not sure if I have a problem.  Maybe you guys can tell me.  I bought my first three AR's within a month's time.  Than I set out building two more at the same time.  I just finished those and am about two buy two more lowers to build on.  All this on just over six months.  Does that mean I'm an addict?  I can quit anytime I want, right?  Or Can I?  What should I do?  Oh God!  What should I do????!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#39]
When you start on your next AR, just say your building it for the kids.  If you don't have any kids, just say its in case you decide have kids.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#40]
It's hard to keep the AR monkey off your back, but with help you can do it, just like I did.  

HA HA HA HA HA HA - I crack my self up, some times.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Just be thankful that it's the AR's that your hooked on. At less than $1000, a few is not that much.  

It's when you get hooked on HK's and have to have the PSG-1 and the rest of the off springs that you start to check your senses.

P.S. As for you guys that are on a budget, think FAL's. You wouldn't believe how many rifles that you can put together for less than $2000. And, with mags going for less that $8.00, you start to make Lego shapes out of them just to pass the time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#42]
AR15s are like Lay's Potato Chips.

You just can't have one....

I always buy more mags before I buy another rifle or pistol.  

This site does not help out.

HAPPY 227th Years of Service

Max
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#43]
AR's really are VERY addictive.  I bought my first the other year, sold it to buy an engagement ring.  I got back into the AR world in July by buying an identical BM 16" to what I had before.  I have since bought a custom 24"Bull barrel upper, an SP1 20" lightweight upper, an AR15 pistol and built the upper myself (not cheap), another AR-15 (this time preban), and who knows how much exta sights, handguards, magazines, slings, barrels, scopes, bayonets etc.  I think my $800 original investment turned into $5000.  But d@mn what a fun hobby.  You all are great and I really appreciate all the help you give when I have questions.  Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top