Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 6:08:38 PM EDT
I've got two EA lowers that I'm kinda holding out on building until I find out whats going on in September with the AW Ban.  Anyone else holding out?  Man, would it be sweet to order myself a collapsible stock for a newly built rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Money is in hand, the parts are available... I'm not waiting.  You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
paranoid here also...have all parts but waiting till Sept. had to many "Murphy's Law" things happen to do anything now.....not that much longer till Sept anyway.....will probaly order a second to have also.    till then
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
In my case with a new job after a long out of work period, fiscal realities may well cause me to wait until September with is Serendipity to some extent.  I do plan to acquire some of the components that are not dependant on the the ban to sunset.

Ideally, I would like to have another very compact LEGAL carbine as an all purpose weapon.  In Vietnam I had an acquired CAR 15 that met that role quite well.  My ideal weapon needs the following:

1.  5.56 mm - Cheap available ammo
2. Compact - folding stock and minimal legal length barrel
3.  Good accuracy - Goes without further discussion (out to 300 meters)
4.  Versatile - 55 grain ammo for varmits to 77 grain for small Texas Deer
5.  Excellent sighting system - IOR Scope or other system for these old eyes
6.  30 Round Magazine - Optimally 6 to 10 on hand based on experience in combat
7.  Reliability - While last on the list is #1.  I had a very good M-16 that had benn pampered jam in the midst of a night time fire fight.  Nothing is as chilling as a dead M-16 when bullets are flying
8.  Night capable sights and lights -  I expect more than 1/2 of any emergencies to happen at night.

This will all wait until September.  The major exception is if there is another event in our country like is now occuring in Israel, Saudi Arabia or other areas.  Here in the Southwest with a very porus border, the OTM's (Other Than Mexican Illegal Aliens) are a very serious issue.  That alone justifies a good AR-15.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Go on and build one now, screw their stupid AWB*

*do not constrew this to mean I condone the making of postban AWs
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Have all the parts, just waiting to put them together
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, already shopping parts for my second one. When the AWB goes away, it will be an excuse to get more toys. Plus the demand(therefore ¢o$t) on pre-ban items is going to go through the roof as soon as the midnight hour strikes. The local gunsymth has a party planned at 0000hours on 14 September for "The Midnight Madness Buildathon". The pent up demand is actually going to raise prices for a period of time on the 'evil items'. I expect that there will be fire sale type of clearances on 'ban model' goodies that dealers will want to clear from their inventory prior to the ban going away. A good stainless steel barrel is a good stainless steel barrel is a good stainless steel barrel regardless of the external goodies that it may have. ¿If you can save some ¢a$h on a plinker, why not do it? What the heck are you going to do with a bayonet lug anyway?? If you can get a match grade barrel at economy barrel price, are you really going to turn it down? Well, some are to get the lusted after 'evil items' but I'll be scarfing up the bargains as they come around.

My 2¢,

wganz
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the only thing it makes sense to wait on is magazines. They should come down in price after the initial rush. For everything else, now is the best time to buy IMO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the only thing it makes sense to wait on is magazines. They should come down in price after the initial rush. For everything else, now is the best time to buy IMO.

Do you think they will really come down that much though? You can buy teflon 30s NIW for $20.00. NIW LEO mags are priced around $17.00 now.

I've been thinking that the prices may actually spike upwards when everyone and their uncle scrambles to buy them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't ask, don't tell.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I had three stripped lowers arrive today. I'm slowly building them for a completion date of September 14th. I'm also getting the uppers and keeping them at my parents until September.

Today is a happy day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought that Bush already re-signed this?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think they will really come down that much though? You can buy teflon 30s NIW for $20.00. NIW LEO mags are priced around $17.00 now.

I've been thinking that the prices may actually spike upwards when everyone and their uncle scrambles to buy them.

I agree that at first, they may go up a little but after that, I think they will come down some. Maybe not the NIW teflon Labelle but used USGI will come down some. Now if you can get a good deal now, go for it. Those $20 Labelle is a fair deal. I just bought 14 used usgi's in the 85-90% range for about $14 each so if you see something like that now, jump on it.

I just know there are still a lot of people selling and buying used USGI for over $20 each.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted: Here in the Southwest with a very porus border, the OTM's (Other Than Mexican Illegal Aliens) are a very serious issue.  That alone justifies a good AR-15.hr

Yeah I read about this in a Soldier Of Fortune magazine not too long ago about the program called "Ranch Rescue". OTM's are coming across the border wearing/ leaving trash behind such as middle eastern prayer blankets...Hmmm...terrorists coming into the U.S. across the Mexican border maybe?? More than likey. Here's a link to some stories from the Ranch Rescue website. Makes me wanna load up my AR-15 and my Mak-90 and go help out! www.ranchrescue.com/stories.htm
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been kickballing this in my head for a long time, and its getting harder to wait!!!

Since bayonets dont work that well on M4s, I'm thinking the bayo lug on an M4 isn't really worth it to me.

So I'm thinking of building a lower with an A2 stock, and a M4 upper.  This strange thing would be my first AR, untill after Sept 14th when I put an A2 upper (with correct bayo and flash hider) together.  Then later I get another lower and a collapsible stock for the M4.

I want another AK too though
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted: Here in the Southwest with a very porus border, the OTM's (Other Than Mexican Illegal Aliens) are a very serious issue.  That alone justifies a good AR-15.

Yeah I read about this in a Soldier Of Fortune magazine not too long ago about the program called "Ranch Rescue". OTM's are coming across the border wearing/ leaving trash behind such as middle eastern prayer blankets...Hmmm...terrorists coming into the U.S. across the Mexican border maybe?? More than likey. Here's a link to some stories from the Ranch Rescue website. Makes me wanna load up my AR-15 and my Mak-90 and go help out! www.ranchrescue.com/stories.htm

Excellent site. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
The basis for this is not necessarily the Soldier of Fortune Article.  I was a project planner for the Army Corps of Engineers in the Galveston District.  I met with the Project Management Team that is building prisons albeit with another name.  While a lot of their clients in Port Isabel, TX are Mexicans, a lot are OTM's.  The program includes Florida and Canada, and some areas that are still in discussion.  The violet nature of some of these OTM's leads one to wonder what is the nature of this issue.

The final bottom line is that the Homeland Security Team is spending a lot of bucks using Federal Prison Standards to manage the OTM problem.  It may be much larger than any of us understand.  

My limited exposure with the Project Managers with the Army Corps of Engineers was such that there is a strong case in the Border States to keep a clean and loaded AR-15 as a third line of defense.  By the way this is a real problem.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top