Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 2:01:13 PM EDT
Just got my SPR build from the guys at WOA. Everything is awesome EXCEPT...the front sight looks totally off center when referenced against the ARMS rail which is attached obviously to the upper receiver. I spoke with John @WOA whose opinion I value and he told me that the front sight (set screw version) is locked into the reference mark and the set screws tight. Jeff shot it and even though it looks off center it hits where it's supposed to. When adjusted so it looks straight, point of impact was noticably off. Is it supposed to be off center or is it screwed up. Before, you ask i'll be posting pics very soon.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
nope sure don't.

tagged for pics.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is "I" haven't shot it yet and it looks so far off that i'm questioning how it will. However, if it's not right then I'd like to get it right. I guess my question was "is this how it's designed" If not PRI is going to get this.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The problem is "I" haven't shot it yet and it looks so far off that i'm questioning how it will. However, if it's not right then I'd like to get it right. I guess my question was "is this how it's designed" If not PRI is going to get this.  

Shoot it first, if its a problem, then worry about it

Why would you think Jeff is lying to you?

+1
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The question here is - if the site is fine where it is and the POI is fine, what the hell is wrong with your rail and receiver??

- rem
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have problems with my PRI.

Your PRI does look off. I wonder if it is just an "optical illusion"  and that may it be your HG that is off?Could you please take a few more pics of your PRI from the front.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course I dont think Jeff is "lying" to me thats insane and secondly when i'm into an upper for $1800 and it isnt finished yet and it looks like SHIT because nothing is lined up I got a problem with it. Just shoot it! So I guess if you were to put an upper together that was off like this and sent it to one of your customers and they had a similar complaint your reply would be "just shoot it" I shoots straight so just shoot it. Thats' unacceptable. To reiterate my initial question was does anyone else have a front sight that that looks like this (read IS THIS THE WAY ITS MADE?) that was all I wanted to know. If not than something is wrong and I want it fixed....dont care if it just shoots straight. I can shoot straight and be straight too. Maybe it is the rail...I 'll deal with that too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
My PRI looks pretty damn straight. Esp.....compared to that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
To clarify..I've done my time in country (shot twice in the process)and have spent the last ten years of my life in law enforcement as both a patrolman and a swat team member so dont question my use of a rifle or it's necessity as a tool. I come here as a fan of rifles and a friend of those who also enjoy rifles, I have not once tried to portray myself as an expert or push my opinions on others. I dont hang my hat on my military or law enforcement career. To suggest that I am "crying" about something is infuriating. I simply wanted an answer to my question and not subtrifuge "just shoot it" If no one can answer the question thats fine but no need to "try" and make me look like an asshole in the process. I could come up with just go shoot it on my own, didnt need your help with that. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My PRI looks pretty damn straight. Esp.....compared to that.

yep.  both of mine are pretty straight in comparison.

of course, it's possible that your forend is off center.  As that is the only thing in the picture for reference it does appear at least something isn't aesthetically correct.

send it back if it bothers you.  Frankly, if I paid $1,800 for an upper it damn well better be perfect.  

content edited for information.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]
No problem....and to ammend my post, nothing that Jeff or John did looks like "shit". That may have been a strong descriptor. I did have an extensive conversation with John yesterday who assured me that he saw the problem and was himself dumbfounded as was Jeff. Thats why when Jeff went to the range he tried to "correct" problem by setting it straight, it was way off. Ive been reassured (unnecessarily) by John that the machine work was spot on...I dont doubt it. I'm new to flip ups and for the life of me cannot understand how it could shot straight the way it is. If Jeff says he shot it and it shoots straight well then it shoots straight. I am in the middle of a ton of stuff and cant get to the range so in the meantime i'm overthinking it. It's not about whether or not the sight sits straight (i'll give you that) It's just that I cant at all see how it does. That's why I thought if it's made off center or like this than i wouldnt think twice about it. Time will tell.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Steve-

did you think I was an idiot when I asked why the FSB on my DMM4 was canted way back when?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Follow up.....kudos to Dick and Shawn @ PRI. Spoke with them today, they saw the post and insisted that I send it back to them to take a look at it. She's in the mail.....post next week with results.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
tag for results
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I would like to see it from different angles, etc.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
i thought i posted a reply??

oh well, here it is again...

SNIP

You did have your reasons for it being canted- it was so that the rear sight would be at dead center when zeroed.  It took a lot of patience on your part to get me to understand that.  I'm glad I finally did but I still blamed you for doing it without MY rear sight the first time!  You took care of it like a gentleman and that's what's important to me.

A+ for Steve and ADCO in case any of you thought I was complaining

SNIP
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
what forend is that in the above picture?

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
PRI GEN III rifle length
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I think that some dealers/builders really need to improve on their people skills. Some really suck!  NO, this is not acceptable! I don't care how it shoots....it is not right!

I can name a few on here that are just in it for the bucks and don't care about satisfaction and I can name a few that are in it to give you the best quality, perfection, and satisfaction.

I know, I have less than five million posts so I must be a poser or a troll and I don't know what I'm talking about.
he
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't say anything about you based on your number of posts but I don't know how you can definitively say there are a few dealers here who are just in it for the bucks.  Well, maybe you can because there would have to be a few in every bunch but you can't say they skimp on quality becuase of greed- unless you have proof for me?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, just by attitude alone I guess. I should've said that we have a few (only one that I know of ) arrogant dealers/builders on here that only value their own opinions on things that aren't truely correct.  Not dealers/builders  looking for a fast buck.

I'm sorry for the wrong use of words. hinking.gif

As you can tell I'm not a follower of the"most popular" here on the board.  I usually just sit back and read until the crap gets too deep, like saying the crooked front sight is ok. Damned if I'd want this bozo to build me a rifle. Talking about quality control.....Pie.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
WOA didn't make the parts they assembled them.
Built to there satisfaction.
Customer not satisfied.
Returned to PRI for follow up on question of (cant)
I would be willing to bet it will be 100% when you get it back.
Was Bulldog wrong to post!  NO.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#28]
If it shoots straight when canted, and shoots like crap when straight, then the most obvious thing to go to next is that which you are comparing it to.

Methinks the rail is crooked, possibly put on just a hair off, which would make the front sight look canted. All things being equal, that is the most logical.

I'm with you on the form=function, I've built weapons for friends of mine, and if it leaves my abode looking less than PERFECT, "it don't leave". Eventually, a well-worn weapon will still look good if everything lines up the way it's supposed to...and WORKS! The problem I see here is that if that rail is off, subsequent optics and/or lights will follow. That's the problem as I see it just from that one pic.

I'm interested in the outcome. Look forward to further posts.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#29]

I usually just sit back and read until the crap gets too deep, like saying the crooked front sight is ok.

+1 .......how can ANYONE ( certainly another rifle builder ) sit back and say "don't worry about it.... just go out and shoot it." h What ever happened to something functioning correctly AND looking correct at the same time??? How about improving the rifle building trade instead of heading back in the other direction. I'm not just picking on what was said on this particular post either, I hear this mentality from many others on this forum all the time. Now, flame away if you want but please don't question my "real world" experience ..... it won't work to your advantage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]
My friend had a $38.000.00 brand spanking new Silverado that when followed from behind, was going down the road sideways!!! What did the dealer tell him...it's fine, just drive it!! Do you believe that shit? His new Tundra tracks straight. ( the lesson was in the last sentence).
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
...his new Tundra tracks straight. ( the lesson was in the last sentence).

It's about time Toyota started making AR's...talk about quality control!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I have them on an 2 ar's , they function pefectly. They look  straight. to me.

The only problem I had was the first on had a detent lock that left 1/16 - 1/8 inch of foward/backward play.

I sent the upper to PRI , and they fixed it pronto, no problems.

Oh , by the way, 100 thumbs up for ADCO firearms !!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Prilimary results from PRI is that everything appears to be lined up (handguard, ARMS rail etc) the upper shoots straight as an arrow, Of course it still looks crooked. Not happy, means i'll get it back still looking out of whack....hopefully they'll figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Hummm!I was going to get a PRI flip for my next build?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hummm!I was going to get a PRI flip for my next build?

i have two fo them on my rifles and there are way more out there being used with no problems. this one states that its crooked but shoots straight
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Would PRI not install it on another tube and determine if its there end or no.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Would PRI not install it on another tube and determine if its there end or no.

you could just remove it and lay it on its side against a flat edge or something and determine it your self.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I CANT (ha ha pun)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#40]
My PRI is definately "in whack".  Build it yourself and you only have that person in the mirror to blame.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
If it shoots straight, it the rail that is canted.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#43]
UPDATE:Well I finally got my SPR back from all places STAG Arms, and it's finally right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The top rail is bolted onto the tube, and when you are using the ARMS SPR rail over the top, you are supposed to install the PRI rail, loosen the top rail, install the SPR rail to the upper, tighten the rail on the tube through the SPR rail (you can reach the screws through the ARMS rail) and then tighten the screws fron the ARMS rail into the PRI rail.

WTF, slow down!  I'm already lost...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Interesting post more centered on customer service than a particular product. I'm starting to form some opinions on who to do business with, and who to avoid in the future. I had a problem with a highly regarded arfcom dealer a while back that left me wondering if it was my bad luck. I'll watch this one unfold.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top