Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2004 2:54:07 AM EDT
I'm not bashing anyone, but was wondering if anyone else has had problems with J&T? My Brother In Law just purchased an M4 kit from them. Firstly, the lower parts kit was missing parts and the stock was missing the lock nut. They made good on it with no problems, then, sadly to say, their lower parts are grossly out of spec. The lower came apart about a zillion times, polishing trigger, selector, etc until finally I had it and went in the house and got another hammer/trigger/disconnector from another distributor. They slapped right in like they always do. After hours of messing around with the J&T parts, the others just pop right in. I have to say I started ordering from J&T because they support the board. But honestly, it was to avoid paying sales tax. I live in IL so all the affordable AR distributors except J&T are in IL. The charging handle is also unacceptably loose and sloppy. I think I will go back to M&A in the future. Sorry J&T, in a saturated market, you gotta do a little better than that. Anyone else or is it just me?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My J&T 20" A3 kit was perfect: not a problem at all.  Sorry to hear about your build, but from what I have experienced through my year and a half on this board, your experience is the exception and not the rule.  Too bad you didn't have the same experience I did.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I know, I was really shocked. The upper and barrel are very nice. Just the few things I mentioned. I would be willing to stay a customer if I knew what the heck has happened here. I have been putting together AR lowers since I was a kid and Dad taught me, this is definately not operator error. This was my Brother In Law's kit, but I still think I will give them a call Tuesday, doesn't seem right. This was a DSA/LMT lower. At first, I was thinking perhaps lower, but the lower is in spec. I like J&T but this stuff can irk a man.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like the DSA/LMT lower?  I'm thinking of ordering one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I just built an Ameetec lower with a JT parts kit and it went together easy as pie.

Probably the easiest build I ever did.

A big thumbs up to both companies!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like the DSA/LMT lower?  I'm thinking of ordering one.

Top flight. This must be just a bad trigger thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
N0.  J&T has served me extremly well.  I would recomend them to anyone for kits or biult rifles.  Thier Doublestar lowers are awsome.  Service is first rate.  Give em a chance dude, they buy these parts from the same major manufacturers as every other reputable company.  Im in the manucaturing business and I can tell you anything can happen to anybody.  The true test is whether or not they make it right.   Good luck and IM Jesse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Were there any foundry marks on the trigger or hammer?  That might tell us something.  It has been my experience (around 20 times) that they are using colt internals.  I'm sort of curious as to what happened.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Nope, my lower kit went in perfectly, never had any problems with it.  Upper I bought was great too, great fit, no problems at all!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Were there any foundry marks on the trigger or hammer?  That might tell us something.  It has been my experience (around 20 times) that they are using colt internals.  I'm sort of curious as to what happened.  

They were stamped M. I am not upset with J&T. I think this was a one time bad part thing. These things happen. Just a little frustrating taking it apart a million times.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The M marked hammers and triggers are in many companies kits. They are usuallly pretty smooth for a standard set. The missing parts problem I had myself two times I ordered from them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Patriot73,  
Although I highly recomend J&T for a supplier, even I have had my moments with them.

What I have found out is that when it comes to getting the correct responce to problems that come up, you need to get Jesse himself on the phone, and not one of the other people in the shop.

Have your brother in law make a list of the parts that are out of spec, call Jessse and he will make it right very quickly.  It's when someone else takes messages for him that things seems to go sideways. This maybe because the talented guys that used to deal with the general public are now slaving away building rifles, and they have new staff answering phones and packing part kits (just a guess).

Bottom line is that they are one of the few suppliers that don't price compete with ther own rifles, and are a ffl that can receive complete rifles if you need to send the whole rifle to them to have it problem solved (if you can't firgure out what part needs to be replaced).
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Patriot73,  
Although I highly recomend J&T for a supplier, even I have had my moments with them.

What I have found out is that when it comes to getting the correct responce to problems that come up, you need to get Jesse himself on the phone, and not one of the other people in the shop.

Have your brother in law make a list of the parts that are out of spec, call Jessse and he will make it right very quickly.  It's when someone else takes messages for him that things seems to go sideways. This maybe because the talented guys that used to deal with the general public are now slaving away building rifles, and they have new staff answering phones and packing part kits (just a guess).

Bottom line is that they are one of the few suppliers that don't price compete with ther own rifles, and are a ffl that can receive complete rifles if you need to send the whole rifle to them to have it problem solved (if you can't firgure out what part needs to be replaced).

I hear ya. I own a business too. If I were busting my ass while my employees were doing a half assed job, I'd bust some skulls. I'm not interested in anymore with this rifle, it is assembled, it works. I am not going through the hassle for a trigger, disconnector and sear. I won't write them off though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
call me lucky cause im one for one.

built up a varmit rifle and all went together fine. did have my bolt catch snap in half on me but i blame myself in a way cause i was dry firing without the upper on.

but then again i did this with my bushies before and never had this problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a 24" Varmint kit from J&T a few months ago. When it arrived, I noticed the buttstock they had included with the kit was obviously used, i.e., there were lots of dings and scratches on it, and the buttplate was cracked from the top screw hole to the trapdoor opening. The buffer spacer and screw were also missing.

I immediately called J&T. They instructed me to return the entire buttstock assembly for an exchange. A new one was delivered to me a few days thereafter, and they refunded the cost of mailing the buttstock back to them. They also sent a J&T baseball cap with the replacement!

DL
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
J&T takes FOREVER to re-email me about their products. By the time they respond, I almost dont even remember emailing them, in the first place.  Never had that problem with AADCO. I ordered parts from J&T before. Prompt delivery and they fit fine. My only gripe was one of their bolt catch release broke after a few rounds. Must have been one of those bad apples in the bunch.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top