Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:50:39 AM EDT
I am building my first AR with a Mega lower with RRA LPK and Mega upper. I have a 6-pos RRA M4 collapsible stock on the way. I want a 16" threaded barrel. I assumed that M4 specified "carbine", but think I may be wrong. Also, I have no idea what the differences are between A1, A2, A3, etc. Sorry for the retardedness, but I'm learning!!! Thanks!!!

BTW, do I need to be concerned with getting an "M4 cut" upper? Really confused by that, because isn't Colt the only one who offers such a thing? Why would the barrels be different anyway?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The M4 (besides being select fire) has a 6-pos stock, 14.5" barrel with notch for M203 grenade launcher, and M4 feed ramps on both the upper receiver and barrel extention. Someone else will be along to add anything I missed.

As far as A1, A2 and A3 uppers....

A1 upper--rear sight doesn't have elevation adjustments, and the windage is difficult to adjust:

A2 upper: current military irons with rear elevation and windage adjustments (sorry about the crappy pic):

A3 upper: flattop for mounting optics:

ETA: the last one is about as close to an M4 as a civilian can get without a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!!! I will read that link thoroughly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The M4 (besides being select fire) has a 6-pos stock, 14.5" barrel with notch for M203 grenade launcher, and M4 feed ramps on both the upper receiver and barrel extention. Someone else will be along to add anything I missed.

As far as A1, A2 and A3 uppers....

A1 upper--rear sight doesn't have elevation adjustments, and the windage is difficult to adjust:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/IMG_1042.jpg

A2 upper: current military irons with rear elevation and windage adjustments (sorry about the crappy pic):

img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/DSCF0111.jpg

A3 upper: flattop for mounting optics:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/topgunpilot20/IMG_1045.jpg

ETA: the last one is about as close to an M4 as a civilian can get without a tax stamp.

It actually has a 4-position stock... Please read this so you dont spread the wrong information... COLT M4
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Really?  They are being made with 4 position stocks?  I'm not trying to be a dick, but he didn't ask what the first M4 was exactly and JackalAR did state he's got a 6 position RRA on the way.  So, let's get technical- the stocks are the same.  It's the receiver extension that dictates positions and a 6-position is just fine and I'd be surprised if Colt still had and used 4-position tubes instead of the abundant 6-position milspec tubes that are all over the place. ETA- 5 position, not 6 position...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still a little confused about the M4. What makes the RRA 6-pos collapsible stock I just ordered "M4"? I know an "M4" upper has the M4 cuts in it, but what makes a barrel "M4"? I noticed there are 14.5" M4 barrels, 16" M4 barrels, then there are superlight and Hbar 16" barrels. Is it the cut for the M203 or whatever grenade launcher? Why would a civi want this cut if there's no chance in hell of getting one? My goal is a threaded 16" barrel with probably mid length rail system. Not sure whether or not I want a fixed front site or flip-up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm still a little confused about the M4. What makes the RRA 6-pos collapsible stock I just ordered "M4"? I know an "M4" upper has the M4 cuts in it, but what makes a barrel "M4"? I noticed there are 14.5" M4 barrels, 16" M4 barrels, then there are superlight and Hbar 16" barrels. he

Civis think it looks cool.  A true M4 barrel is 14.5", has an a2 flash hider and is "M4 profile" which is light under the guards and has the notch.  1/7 twist rate, chrome lined, etc.  That said, it doesn't matter.  Just build what you want and don't worry about whether it is an m4 or not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA receiver extensions are NOT milspec. Colt, Stag, CMT, LMT and VLTOR are milspec 4-5 pos tubes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I know my RRA stock is coming with a non mil-spec tube, but that is just a size difference is it not?

I'm not so worried about building an "M4" as I am getting everything to match / fit. If I get an M4 profile 16" barrel and an M4 CMT upper, can I use a mid-length and / or a short rail system?

I think I read on that Colt site that the M4's got a thicker barrel under the guards to allow for sustained full auto useage...is this what I can expect from a modern say Bushmaster M4 barrel? Do I even want M4 for a SHTF build or should I consider a standard barrel? How about Hbar? Thanks for your patience guys!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think I read on that Colt site that the M4's got a thicker barrel under the guards to allow for sustained full auto useage...i

No, only selected M4A1s have that heavier barrel - it's not the standard.

is this what I can expect from a modern say Bushmaster M4 barrel?

No Bushmaster will use the 'standard' M4 barrel (which is light under the handguards).

Do I even want M4 for a SHTF build or should I consider a standard barrel? How about Hbar?

Stick with the M4 barrel, it gives all the accuracy and durablity you need with a nice weight reduction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks much!!! Does anyone have any experience with CMT uppers on a Mega lowers? What do you guys think of CMT enhanced bolts? Should I step up to the MP checked CMT enhanced bolts since I plan to go with an MP checked Bushy barrel? Should I look at a different brand of bolt all together?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm still a little confused about the M4. What makes the RRA 6-pos collapsible stock I just ordered "M4"? it's "style" is what makes it "M4"- you are looking for the M4 "style"

I know an "M4" upper has the M4 cuts in it, but what makes a barrel "M4"? You have to be talking about feedramp cuts.  The upper and barrel extension will have to both have feedramp cuts.  You don't need M4 feedramps but if you want them, and are getting a separate upper and barrel, make sure you specify feedramps for both or they are both advertised as such.  

I noticed there are 14.5" M4 barrels, 16" M4 barrels, then there are superlight and Hbar 16" barrels.
You can get a 14.5" barrel but will have to have a flash hider or brake that is 2" (1.5" min) long permanently attached.  If you do that, you cannot easily change your FSB or install a flipup later.  You can get a 16" barrel with the 203 cutout and use the standard A2 Flash Hider.  You would get a superlight barrel if you wanted to build a lightweigh CAR and those are another story- there's a lot of weight saving you can do on an AR that really draw you away from the M4 "look."  HBARs are just as fine, but the 203 cutout band is a serious visual characteristic of an M4 and without it, you are heading towards what you would more than likely call a CAR- which is perfectly acceptable.

Is it the cut for the M203 or whatever grenade launcher? Why would a civi want this cut if there's no chance in hell of getting one?    the best answer is because they were made that way for the civilian market.  it doesn't hurt to have the cutout and it looks more like a "true" M4 with the band.

My goal is a threaded 16" barrel with probably mid length rail system. Not sure whether or not I want a fixed front site or flip-up.      there is a difference between a midlength rail system and a 16" midlength barrel. that's a whole separate discussion.  

after all is said and done, you are basically talking about my rifle, sort of.  it's a flattop like the M4, it's a 16" midlength barrel with an A2 flash hider, and I have a collapsible stock.  You could buy essentially that from RRA but it isn't a clone of an M4, but who cares??

You could get THIS rifle and if you swap out their carry handle with an A2 detachable, you'd have a Damn nice rifle...

It's their Elite CAR A4 which is a Midlength rifle.  The true M4s have chrome lined barrels and 1:7 twist.  Chrome lined is another $40 and they only offer 1:9 or 1:8 in SS like my WOA barrel...

Here is mine and I'm sure you'll realize you don't need an M4 to have a pretty nice "looker"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know my RRA stock is coming with a non mil-spec tube, but that is just a size difference is it not?

YOUR STOCK WILL FIT ON YOUR TUBE.   A CRANE OR VLTOR WILL NOT.  YOU ARE FINE.

I'm not so worried about building an "M4" as I am getting everything to match / fit. If I get an M4 profile 16" barrel and an M4 CMT upper, can I use a mid-length and / or a short rail system?

M4 CMT UPPER?  YOU MEAN A STANDARD FLAT TOP?  THE PLACEMENT OF THE GAS PORT IN THE BARREL DICTATES WHETHER IT IS MIDLENGTH OR NOT.  THAT WILL FOR THE MOST PART DICTATE THE TYPE OF HANDGUARDS.  

MIDLENGTH BARREL/GAS SYSTEM:

[UPPER]=========FSB====E

CARBINE BARREL/GAS SYSTEM:

[UPPER]=======FSB======E

SAME OVERALL LENGTH, BUT DIFFERENT PLACMENT OF GAS PORT WHICH IS UNDER FSB.

WHEN USING A STANDARD FSB, A MIDLENGTH GAS SYSTEM USES HANDGUARDS THAT ARE 2" LONGER THAN A CARBINE.  YOU CANNOT SWAP ANY OF THE PARTS EXCEPT FOR THE FRONT SIGHT BASE AND FLASH SUPRESSOR.

I think I read on that Colt site that the M4's got a thicker barrel under the guards to allow for sustained full auto useage...is this what I can expect from a modern say Bushmaster M4 barrel? Do I even want M4 for a SHTF build or should I consider a standard barrel? How about Hbar? Thanks for your patience guys!!!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Really?  They are being made with 4 position stocks?  I'm not trying to be a dick, but he didn't ask what the first M4 was exactly and JackalAR did state he's got a 6 position RRA on the way.  So, let's get technical- the stocks are the same.  It's the receiver extension that dictates positions and a 6-position is just fine and I'd be surprised if Colt still had and used 4-position tubes instead of the abundant 6-position milspec tubes that are all over the place.

Well JosephR, If you had read the attached quote to my reply, it wasnt directed to JackalAR, it was directed to the person that was describing the features of a true M4... You my friend are describing a wannabe copy of a M4... And, again you are wrong about another thing... Those 6 position buffer tubes you have described as "that are all over the place" are NOT military spec...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
That's nice man!!! Like that a lot. If you don't mind, what IS a middle length barrel? I havne't started looking into twist, SS, or chromed barrels, just that I want a Bushy MP checked barrel or equivillant 4150 barrel, likely chrome lined. I have no idea what advantages SS offers or the cost. I assumed I would want a 1:9 twist since that's sort of standard I thought and is suppose to be good from 50 - 80 gr. from what I read.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That's nice man!!! Like that a lot. If you don't mind, what IS a middle length barrel?.

A mid-length has the gas port (and front sight base) moved forward 2".  So the FSB is the same distance from the muzzle with a 16", as the FSB is from the muzzle of a 20".

It allows for a softer shooting rifle, that doesn't beat itself up as much AND gives you a longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, I asked that before reading the new posts. Thanks for clearing that up for me fellas. What does FSB stand for? Being a computer guy I keep thinking "Front Side Bus".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]

...it was directed to the person that was describing the features of a true M4...

Sorry shootersden, did I not understand that JackalAR is asking about building his own rifle and that it would NOT be a true COLT?  was  topgunpilot answering the GD question or was he on a soapbox giving a lecture on the "true" Colt M4?  I can't help if topgunpilot mentioned 6 position when Colt specifies 4 on their website.  Please don't argue with me just because you don't agree with what he is saying.  Can I not say that the 6 position tube is milspec?  

Oh, are you going to tell my my 6 position tube is not milspec?  How are you going to go about that one?  I guess I'll have to have pictures ready for you...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

...it was directed to the person that was describing the features of a true M4...

Sorry shootersden, did I not understand that JackalAR is asking about building his own rifle and that it would NOT be a true COLT?  was  topgunpilot answering the GD question or was he on a soapbox giving a lecture on the "true" Colt M4?  I can't help if topgunpilot mentioned 6 position when Colt specifies 4 on their website.  Please don't argue with me just because you don't agree with what he is saying.  Can I not say that the 6 position tube is milspec?  

Oh, are you going to tell my my 6 position tube is not milspec?  How are you going to go about that one?  I guess I'll have to have pictures ready for you...

ETA: You know joe, you remind me of a 15 year old kid that knows it all but actually doesn't know shit...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
it's been proven that on these boards, the 15 year old is always the one to start accusing the other of being a 15 year old.

I simply tried making a point to Jackal that he didn't need to find a 4 position tube to make himself an M4.

You pointed out  that you were quoting and responding to someone else.

I simply added that it still doesn't matter- he's not going to get a real M4 and he knows it.  He wanted to know if what he had on order and what he thought in his head would get him an M4.  That 6 position receiver extension is just fine.  

I would be willing to bet a stock and buffer tube that if you polled this entire board, 9 out of 10 (or maybe 11) collapsible stock ARs would not   be using a 4 position tube.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Really?  They are being made with 4 position stocks?  I'm not trying to be a dick, but he didn't ask what the first M4 was exactly and JackalAR did state he's got a 6 position RRA on the way.  So, let's get technical- the stocks are the same.  It's the receiver extension that dictates positions and a 6-position is just fine and I'd be surprised if Colt still had and used 4-position tubes instead of the abundant 6-position milspec tubes that are all over the place.

My understanding is that with regard to the buffer tube/receiver extension, "milspec" refers to the tube diameter (the true milspec tube being slightly smaller in diameter than the Bushy/RRA/DPMS?/etc tubes).  Concerning the "abundant 6-position milspec tubes that are all over the place" Are there actually any 6-position milspec tubes out there?? I'm pretty sure Colt doesn't  make any, and I know Vltor makes 5 position tubes. LMT? CMT?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that with regard to the buffer tube/receiver extension, "milspec" refers to the tube diameter (the true milspec tube being slightly smaller in diameter than the Bushy/RRA/DPMS?/etc tubes).  Concerning the "abundant 6-position milspec tubes that are all over the place" Are there actually any 6-position milspec tubes out there?? I'm pretty sure Colt doesn't  make any, and I know Vltor makes 5 position tubes. LMT? CMT?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!  

I believe STAG/CMT and LMT do make a 6 position tube that is made the same diameter as the mil-spec tube...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Heres a good place to buy parts from if your interested... Stag Arms M4 Type II Mil Spec Buttstock Assembly

ETA: FYI... Eagle Firearms is affiliated with arfcom... Good people to deal with...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Heres a good place to buy parts from if your interested... Stag Arms M4 Type II Mil Spec Buttstock Assembly

ETA: FYI... Eagle Firearms is affiliated with arfcom... Good people to deal with...

Thanks for info! Looks like better deal than buying 5 position tube to go with my Vltor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sorry, I asked that before reading the new posts. Thanks for clearing that up for me fellas. What does FSB stand for? Being a computer guy I keep thinking "Front Side Bus".

A mid-length has the gas port (and front sight base) moved forward 2". So the FSB ...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Derp!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a hard time with FSB too...  Whenever I see "FSB" with no "Mhz" anywhere nearby, I can assume it's Front Sight Base.  Otherwise it's front side bus for me too.  There was one guy who was mixing them both up and asking about the front side base of his rifle...

It's not about the diameter of the tube per se.  I just took some pictures and can't get the ftp to the office to work...

I use my LMT milspec tube.  It's a 5 position tube.  My Generic (RRA) ribbed stock will fit over it but it wears away the Duracoat a little bit.  The RRA's tube is 6 position and a little longer.  

The cross section of the tubes is what causes most mil spec stocks to NOT fit on non milspec tubes.  The cross section looks like a short fat stick at the bottom of a big round lollipop.  non milspec tubes have a fillet on each side where the round tube and rectangular pin engagement area.  

Which is which??

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, great pics man. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Eaglefirearms carrys a clone mil-spec stock  complete for $85 and thats with an H buffer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#32]
What's with all these different buffer weights? What would I want to try first in my "M4" with the RRA collabsible...the one that came with it? What buffer would that be?

I know the heavier ones are for full auto slower-cycling...isn't that the "H"? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#33]
H is for Heavy just like C is for Cookie.  The Army is like that

I don't know what it was originally made for be it the M4 or the 9mm CARs or what.  It can be used in a lot of others and people really like them.  The midlength guys really like them in their collapsible stocks.  I have a "regular" buffer and it works just fine.  Maybe if you have a choice you should/can go ahead and get the H.  If not, don't worry one bit about it.  

The milspec does look smaller in diameter- i'll agree to that but it's probably because of the way the RRA is cut at an angle.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What's with all these different buffer weights? What would I want to try first in my "M4" with the RRA collabsible...the one that came with it? What buffer would that be?

I know the heavier ones are for full auto slower-cycling...isn't that the "H"? Thanks.

The 3.8oz. "H" buffer is used with the COLT M4 carbine... It is also the buffer that I highly recommend for any M4rgery build...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Is this the one that would come with my RRA? If not, what does it come with and why? Where can I get the one I need by itself? Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
RRA isn't going to ship an "H" buffer with the stock... You will receive the standard carbine type with it...

If you would like to upgrade to an "H" buffer, I recommend contacting Michael @ "The Tactical Solution"... His email is [email protected] ... He has LMT manufactured buffers and if IIRC, they are $15.00 shipped...

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you tell me why the "H" buffer is preferred? An LMT buffer won't work in a RRA buffer tube correct? LMT is Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Can you tell me why the "H" buffer is preferred? An LMT buffer won't work in a RRA buffer tube correct? LMT is Mil-Spec.

The interior is the same size. The H buffer is prefferred because it slows the recoil impulse to a gentle push, delays unlocking, and on short barreled autos it reduces the rate of fire and helps to stop bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
...and you guys would recommend this for my 16" barrel'd "M4gery" that'll probably mostly see .223 that I can't rapid fire OR double tap on the range?

What do you guys think of the Stag Tri-Nozzle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#40]
You are really moving away from the stock M4 look fast and even faster with that brake.  I don't like brakes much.  Although I'm not hiding and sniping from the weeds at night, I still like the good 'ol Flash Supressor.  They look better IMHO and are free with most barrels.

Here's something to think about- there is also a left handed carry handle on that page as well.  That must be Stag's "useless as tits on a bull" page.  

Yes, I do understand they make the left handed upper but I still don't see a need for a left handed carry handle, even with that left handed upper.  They only moved the knobs anyway, not the windage dial...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I see, didn't think of that. Really can't decide on 14.5 or 16. Wanted 16 mid-length, but that's so I could change FH's if I wanted. Do permanently attached FH's get in the way of removing / installing fore ends?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I see, didn't think of that. Really can't decide on 14.5 or 16. Wanted 16, but that's so I could change FH's if I wanted. Do permanently attached FH's get in the way of removing / installing fore ends?

Yes they do, with the free float forearms... If you plan on just using the standard type replacement hand guards, it wouldn't make a difference...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]
That pushes me even further toward a mid-length 16" threaded barrel. Talk about getting away from the M4 look huh? I just discovered Bushmaster doesn't make an M4 cut feedramp barrel. I'm also wondering if they even make a mid-length?

If not, who else makes 4150 and / or MP checked barrels in a 16" mid? Do M4 feedramp cuts even belong on a 16" barrel since the the M4 has 14.5 only? Is my M4 stock going to look retarded on a 16" mid lenght with rail system?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That pushes me even further toward a mid-length 16" threaded barrel. Talk about getting away from the M4 look huh? I just discovered Bushmaster doesn't make an M4 cut feedramp barrel. I'm also wondering if they even make a mid-length?

If not, who else makes 4150 and / or MP checked barrels in a 16" mid? Do M4 feedramp cuts even belong on a 16" barrel since the the M4 has 14.5 only? Is my M4 stock going to look retarded on a 16" mid lenght with rail system?

If you want 16" length, 4150 steel, M4 feed ramps and the m203 cut out for "the M4 look" get a COLT then... The COLT LE6920 barrel is what you want...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Sweet, sounds expensive...any idea approx. how much I'd need to shell out?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Sweet, sounds expensive...any idea approx. how much I'd need to shell out?

Go to the EE section and post an add and see what you come up with...

EXAMPLE:
WTB, 16" barrel, 4150 steel, M4 feed ramps and has the m203 cut out...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Did Colt make a mid-length in this config? Does anyone?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top