Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2005 12:10:30 PM EDT
As said in the other topic, I finished my 80% receiver just the other day and now it is time to put the finish on it. I tried using a spray on finish, but I was unhappy with the results and I am going to blast it clean and anodize it. The only ptoblem is that I have only heard of failed attempts to anodize the 7075 aluminum receivers.

Has anyone been able to sucessfully do it? If so, how did you do it?

Also, I know JB weld won't take the anodizing, but will it harm the JB weld? I have a small spot on the read side, around the rear detent pin hole that is covered by the stock. If it just won't take the anodizing, that is fine as it won't be seen, but if it will damage it, I don't want to try it.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I've successfully anodized 7075. It is one of the easiest alloys to anodize at home. I used the LCD process from www.caswellplating.com on 7075, 6061 and A356 without problem.

Check out their Anodizing Forum for more information.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That seems a bit expensive to put a coating on 2-3 receivers (probably all I will make within the next year or so).

Is there any other methods, or a "assemble the kit from hardware store parts" type of thing. I mean, the kit is nice, but $300 is a bit pricey, especially when I probably have everything in the kit save for the 2-3 of the liquids.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't suggest you buy the kit. If you go thru the Anodizing Forum postings you'll get all the information needed on the process.  They also use to give away the instructions at no charge, but I don't know if they do that any longer.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top