Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/10/2003 12:25:40 PM EDT
Brownell's has these for $120 dealer cost, and $44 for the DPMS parts kit (dealer cost).  Even witht the shipping and FFL, that's a complete lower for about $190, including shipping.  

I know these are pretty light weight, which makes them intersting to me.  If anyone has built one of these up, could you tell me if you liked the feel of them, and how easy was it to assemble with a standard parts kit like DPMS.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone on Assault Web got a couple of these lowers last year...he took one of 'em and sawed it down to regular A2 length, with mixed results.  Did you measure the Cav Arms lower to see how long it is?  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never used the CavArms stuff before, but when I was checking out AR stuff I went to thier website and something does not sit well with me when I am confronted with a *plastic* lower for an ar-15. I'm sure their light. I'm sure they have good points over 'traditional' lowers. I'm sure they have people that swear by them... but they are still plastic any way ya look at it. Just doesnt seem right, man.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the lower receiver I built when I attended the Cav Arms armorer's course.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=34[/img]
I shoot the hell out of this rifle and it just keeps taking it. It's light and dependable. The plastic it's made of is the same tough stuff as their handguards and it's designed to take a lot of abuse.

As far as wear goes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cav Arms lower outlasts the parts kit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two Cav Arms lowers, a black one and a green one. They are light weight and are very comfortable to shoot. I have one of them hooked up with a 16" pencil barrel upper and it is hands down the favorite among my kids and wife to shoot among the 6 ARs that I have. The other is hooked up with a Bushy HBAR upper which has become my target gun.

I will say that one of my recievers split the seam behind the mag well and is back at Cav Arms for repair or replacement. They have a lifetime warranty, so no worries.

Cav Arms is coming out with a generation II lower that will be of A2 stock length. Anyone with a Gen I lower can exchange it for a Gen II for $30.  I will probably do that with one of mine.

Edited to add:
Assembly of the Cav lower is only slightly different than a regular lower. They use a couple retaining pins to hold the buffer tube plunger and selector switch that are normaly held by the screw in stock buffer tube. Those pins are included as are instructions. it is pretty simple.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a CAV-15, which is their original (long) onepiece lower/buttstock/pistol grip sold built up as a rifle.  Mine has DMPS flattop upper and mid-weight 16" barrel finished with their proprietary CAV Comp.  

I have fired it about 600 rounds is all, but it is flawless so far.  The longer stock makes it feel a bit different or maybe it is the much stronger feeling of the lower and buttstock being all one piece.  At any rate after you quit thinking about any differences you will find that it works great, the balance is better (with the lighter barrels anyway) and some people who have fired mine say there prefer the longer stock.  All the lower parts are standard AR15 parts, so maintenance if ever required should be same as any AR15.  

As for durability, Calvary Arms brings several of their synthetic lower AR's to the local AR15.com shoots and I have witnessed several full-auto dealer sample CAV-15's being fired thousands of rounds in a day with no problems attributed to the synthetic stocks.

If you would like a picture on MY CAV-15 send me an IM mail and I will attach a pic and return it to you.

About the only drawback is you cannot use aftermarket buttstocks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info...I think I'll go ahead and grab one of these from Brownell's, along with a DMPS parts kit.  My main concern was the non-standard length, but it doesn't look like it's gonna be a problem after hearing what you guys have to say.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine. Just be very careful when assembling the lower and follow the direction.

BTW.
A complete cav lower is a little heavier than an aluminum lower with collapsible stock and carbine buffer.

The new cav lower uses a carbine buffer spring and is said to be ~1.69 lbs (from memory)

My lightweight lower is 1.97 lbs.

WOW, I can't wait to get the new lower.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few CAV-15 lowers that I have built.  No problems (aside from springs being lost during assembly).

The selector/safty spring has to be trimmed a few coils.  One or two.  The trick is to trim 1 coil and put it in w/ the detent.  Push the detent down w/ a small screw driver and see how hard it is to push.  If it is hard to push flush into the detent hole, trim another coil.  Do this till it's "easy" to push down.  If you don't cut the coil, you'll never be able to take the safty out OR you'll have a hard time flipping it from SAFE to FIRE.  Been there, done that.....

With Cav providing different takedown/pivot pins, trimming the springs for that is not an issue now.  Use to be.

I've been able to assemble a lower with nothing more then a Leatherman Wave tool.  Hammer and trigger pins go in easy.

Oh, you forgot to list the buffer and spring on your parts list.  They don't come w/ a buffer/spring assembly.....or do that(?????)
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Oh, you forgot to list the buffer and spring on your parts list.  They don't come w/ a buffer/spring assembly.....or do that(?????)
View Quote

You're right, damnit! That'll be another $15 or so...the tube is built in, but I guess I need the spring and buffer...so now I'm heading into the same price range as a complete lower (I can snag another Eagle from Quantica Arms for $225, no FFL since they're local).  

Of course, the whole purpose of building myself is to allow a slower outflow of $$ hehehehe...but that probably won't happen if I buy all the pieces at once.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://home.nc.rr.com/juanpiedra/cavarms1.jpg[/img]

I like the one I built, they are quite the conversation piece at the range.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
something does not sit well with me when I am confronted with a *plastic* lower for an ar-15.  but they are still plastic any way ya look at it. Just doesnt seem right, man.
View Quote

You need to expand your horizons Dave!  CavArms has a guarantee that kicks ass, I have more that 3 of these and they all are great shooters.  Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, that stock looks f***ing huge!  I bet you could cram a cleaning kit and a Volkswagen in that CavArms lower's stock! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
They are great lowers.  I started out w/ the Cav 15.  I love the longer stock and the grip design.  You'll be happy if you get one.

Usually parting a lower together cost less money at a time... as in you don't "notice" spending so much.  But having each itme shipped in.... it ends up a little more sometimes.  But you gain the experiance of building/working on one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I built one. I think it is great. The only complaint I have is that I can't reach the selector without shifting my hand on the pistol grip. If you already own an AR, this is a nice variation. Assembly is no problem at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are mine.  I bought the top one during their "blemished" lower sale last year.  Basically, the finish is a little uneven in a few places, but it's not very noticeable.  Since I'm kinda tall and lanky, I prefer the longer LOP afforded by the CavArms stock.  I've got 16" uppers (RRA A3 and DPMS A2) with CavComps on both.

The 'semi-gloss' Colt M4 handguards don't stand out quite as much in person as they do in the pic.  I never realized how much light they reflect!

[img]http://www.calvert1.com/guns/cava3a.jpg[/img]

This is another I picked up in a trade:

[img]http://www.calvert1.com/guns/ar15.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7728[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7729[/img]

both of these rifles started out as the full length stock and are now cut down between A1 and A2 length.

cruizer
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I built a Dissipator on my green Mk1 Cav receiver. With the extra stock length, the barrel looks shorter than its 16"... people have asked if it is illegal or a SBR.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/048825.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, it does...I think the full length handguards add to the illusion too.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Coyote3:  Did you start with a OD green lower, and paint the "receiver" area black, or did you start with black, and paint the stock and grip areas OD?  What paint did you use?  How did you prep the surface?  Any adhesion problems?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:51:33 AM EDT
[#23]
... Here is my latest CAV15 build. It was my third one built from ground up. They're a great reciever.

... The guys at Cavalry Arms are great to work with as well.

[img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/Camo_CAV.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#24]
OUTSTANDING!  Tell us how you finished that one?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Coyote3:  Did you start with a OD green lower, and paint the "receiver" area black, or did you start with black, and paint the stock and grip areas OD?  What paint did you use?  How did you prep the surface?  Any adhesion problems?
View Quote

A_Free_Man,

Starting with a OD lower, I cleaned the surface to be painted, with acetone (available at Home Depot). I then masked off the area with 1" 3M Painter's Masking Tape. That's the green stuff, also available at Home Depot (Part# 2060). I then applied (2) light coats of [url=www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&s=3994#3994]Brownells Matte Black Aluma-Hyde II (Part# 083-002-012)[/url]. One can will do a bunch of rifles. Later, I removed the tape after the paint had set up.

I've fired thousands of rounds through this rifle and the finish still looks great. The hardest part of this paint job was allowing it to cure fully before putting it into service. That means not even touching it for a week, if possible. I cured mine outside for two weeks before assembling the lower.

(PS Your mailbox is full.) [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Coyote3:  Thank you for the description and links.  

Though it may have sounded like a stupid question, which color did you start with, my thoughts were:

(1) Start with black, paint grip and stock green.  The lower receiver area is exposed to more oils and solvents, and if the paint was not resistant, would come off due to that.

(2) The grip and stock get more contact with hands, bump and scratches, so, start with green and paint the receiver area black.

I will be building on an OD lower, and will likely stencil on some black and brown for a camo effect.  So, thanks for your answers, most helpful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7728[/url]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7729[/url]

both of these rifles started out as the full length stock and are now cut down between A1 and A2 length.

cruizer
View Quote

cruizer,
Are these stocks able to be shortened to the A1 length?
Anything to look out for when cutting down?
How and what did you use?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
dadman,

My cav rifles are the old design. Treetop/AdrenalinArms did the shortening work. It is pretty simple. I don't think he is doing it anymore but I am sure he could line you out on what needs to be done. They feel 1000 times better being cut down.

cruizer
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
dadman,

My cav rifles are the old design. Treetop/AdrenalinArms did the shortening work. It is pretty simple. I don't think he is doing it anymore but I am sure he could line you out on what needs to be done. They feel 1000 times better being cut down.

cruizer
View Quote

After reading this topic, and then doing a search, I notice that Cavalry Arms has a MKII lower with a shorter stock that's claimed to be A1 length. Probally no need to cut down now.
After seeing the pic of the inside of a first gen Cav Arms lower, I wonder how the buttplate is attached on a cutdown lower.

How does the pistol grip feel on the Cav Arms lowers, first gen or MKII?

Considering a MKII lower for an AR build. Weight savings, durable, and different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't seen a new lower in person, I like the old ones better. Until I get to see anew one then my opinion may change.

I beleive there is a epoxy filling in the rear upper and lower portions.It was probably the drilled and tapped for the bolts. I will dig mine out of the safe and see if I can get a pic.

I think if you have some basic skills you could do it yourself.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a new lower in person, I like the old ones better. Until I get to see anew one then my opinion may change.

I beleive there is a epoxy filling in the rear upper and lower portions.It was probably the drilled and tapped for the bolts. I will dig mine out of the safe and see if I can get a pic.

I think if you have some basic skills you could do it yourself.

Cruizer
View Quote

Have a few saws and some JB Weld. If it's cheaper to cut into a MK I, I'll do it!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have handled a pre production mkII receiver and I like it 100% better. The stock length is shorter and the grip is a bit thinner towards the top which makes it easier to work the selector. I'm going to do the receiver upgrade from my MKI to a MKII. The texture on the MKII is also better in my opinion. I think they have made the necessary improvements over the MKI receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top