Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/9/2005 3:12:22 PM EDT
Hey, I was thinkin' about ordering a couple of IDF slings.

dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=135

Has anyone ordered slings from these guys? Any issues or problems?

Also, how do you like the slings?

Let me know.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:16:12 PM EDT
RustyTX at DSG is great to work with. Superb service and rocket fast shipping.

I have one on my DPMS LR 308 and like it.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:54:43 PM EDT
I can't believe you are going to pay someone for a nylon belt and two pieces of 550 cord.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:06:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavalryJim:
I can't believe you are going to pay someone for a nylon belt and two pieces of 550 cord.

I can't believe that you believe thats all it is...

These are very nice slings. I have one on my DSA FAL.

Bob

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 4:19:33 PM EDT by kensteele]
My IDF sling is pretty nice, glad I have it. Mine came from someone in Israel on eBay, never dealt with these guys tho.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:20:48 PM EDT
Quality product, shipped on-time.

Finish and plastics used are 1st class.

'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:32:01 PM EDT
BIG presence at Gunstock, too! Good guys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
Good slings! Have one on my carbean!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:35:12 PM EDT
Yup. I got two of them. They are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:58:25 PM EDT
Alrighty, men. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll be ordering a couple this week.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
Well, I just ordered the slings off of their website last night about 6 p.m.

This morning at 8:45, I got an e-mail that said it just shipped!!!

And with a tracking #, too.

No one could ship any faster than that.

I'll let you guys know how I like the slings when they get here.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:40:56 AM EDT

Will that sling mount to the standard buttstock and front lower mounts?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:00:16 PM EDT
the beauty is that you can put it anywhere with the supplied paracord.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:05:18 PM EDT
Anybody have instructions on how exactly to attach these slings, Ive got one, and other than tying a bunch of granny knots, I'm clueless.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:37:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glklvr:
Anybody have instructions on how exactly to attach these slings, Ive got one, and other than tying a bunch of granny knots, I'm clueless.

Yes, instructions with pics!!!

You gun-lovin' Eagle Scouts out there.

Show us how to use this sling with the para-cord.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 3:59:16 PM EDT by drshame]
Sling mounting:

Lotsa options.

Both ends have plastic spring-clips that can attach directly to sling swivels.

Both end have optional paracord to tie off around whatever you want to mount the sling too.

On My M-4Forgery that's Spring Clip thru Front Swivel, paracord thru top slit on the M-4 Collapsible stock tied back onto the hidden plastic spring clip on the sling.

They feature extended sleeves so any knots or clips are hidden and quieted.....very well thought out.

I think their website has some pixs up for different mounting ideas, and check out any IDF pictures to see how the troops really use it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:56:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:56:46 PM EDT
These folks are mighty fine to deal with. Fast too. I ordered two and they were here in a heartbeat.

I do not know how to make a URL clickable so I am just going to paste these instructions here.

If someone would be so kind as to alter them so folks can just click and go I'd appreciate it. Hey, if you could tell an old semi luddite how to do that I'd appreciate that also.

Anyhow these are the best instructions for attaching to a buttstock I could find. Elsewhere on the site are more. Here goes:

http://www.assaultvest.com/images/Sling%20Mount/page1.htm
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
Oh, yeah I forgot to add, yes I like these slings quite a bit. Especially since I am a southpaw. After attaching these I packed up my old 3 point and sent it to my brother. They seem to fit into the KISS philosphy very well. Comfortable too. Also they have a cool little space in which to fit your ear plugs. Good for me as losing little items is a talent of mine.

I also purchased the AR adapter from them for 5 dollars which is nice but not really needed. I like it though. It solved the buttstock issue on one of my rifles. The site which I tried to paste in my previous works very well also.

I would have to say, haul off and buy from these folks. Anyone that will take the time to have a nice conversation on the phone when you are ordering is just fine with me. It is good to run into mannered and affable folks instead of the impersonal, bored and irritable usuals when making phone inquiries or purchases. Go for it.

I'd love to hear what you think of these slings when you do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:32:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barkinhound:
These folks are mighty fine to deal with. Fast too. I ordered two and they were here in a heartbeat.

I do not know how to make a URL clickable so I am just going to paste these instructions here.

If someone would be so kind as to alter them so folks can just click and go I'd appreciate it. Hey, if you could tell an old semi luddite how to do that I'd appreciate that also.

Anyhow these are the best instructions for attaching to a buttstock I could find. Elsewhere on the site are more. Here goes:

http://www.assaultvest.com/images/Sling%20Mount/page1.htm

www.assaultvest.com/images/Sling%20Mount/page1.htm
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:03:00 PM EDT
Thanks topgunpilot. One of these days I'll figure that one out. At that point I imagine I will be considerably humiliated by the simplicity of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:49:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barkinhound:
Thanks topgunpilot. One of these days I'll figure that one out. At that point I imagine I will be considerably humiliated by the simplicity of it.

Barkin,

Good write up and information.

It's very easy to make stuff "hotlinked" on the site.

For complete instructions, click on the button that says "Board Code" and it will give a technical version.

Cliffs notes:

paste in your link like this www.blahblah.com.

then, before your link type "[ url]" and at the end of the link type "[/ url]"

Just take out the space between "[ and U". It will make it hot.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:04:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:13:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:53:43 PM EDT
I ordered two slings from DSG Arms on Monday, and they arrived in today's mail (Wednesday). Has anyone figured out what purpose is served by the section of the sling with velcro and the plastic clip?

Also, one of the functions of the standard USGI sling is that it can support the rifle in different firing positions. I'm not really sure that the IDF sling can be used that way. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this issue?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:27 PM EDT
I have two on the way and will update when mine get here. They look like an excellent sling for the money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT by RustyTX]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2005 9:01:23 PM EDT by bfieldburt]
Rusty, I'm not totally understanding your explanation.

So, you quickly unclip the clip, that frees up the hidden/folded under section of the strap, right?

This allows you to then shoulder the weapon from patrol position.

I guess I need to see a picture of "patrol position".

Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:50:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Templar:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/IDFChicks6.jpg

Girl on the right...(our right..the one without the glasses). Is this patrol position?

I can see how, carrying it that way, it might be hard to get it up to the shoulder until you unclip the clip.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:44:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RustyTX:

Originally Posted By ClarenceDammit:
I ordered two slings from DSG Arms on Monday, and they arrived in today's mail (Wednesday). Has anyone figured out what purpose is served by the section of the sling with velcro and the plastic clip?

That's a firing extension. If you are carrying in 'patrol' position it will extend the sling a few inches and allow you to shoulder your weapon as you release the buckle. Very handy.

And the velcro is just there to keep the fold under so the extension stays neatly under.

Is there supposed to be a difference between the OD and black slings? On my black sling, the fabric portion of the velcro is closer to the sling end than it is on the OD one. What it results in (on the black sling) is the velcro undoing itself whenever the sling is put under tension, such as when it is supporting the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:22:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:24:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:29:17 PM EDT
Got the straps today. Nice! Ordered 'em Monday night and got them Thursday morning.

Now that I have the straps, I've got the "patrol position" thing figured out.

When carrying the gun--and doing other stuff--you want the strap tight. But, that's also too tight to get the gun up to your shoulder.

If you need to get it up to your shoulder quickly, pop that clip, and you have the length to do it.

Another thing about "patrol postion". I've been checkin' out a lot of IDF pics. Lots of the soldiers keep the butt of the gun UNDER their shoulder (like the girl in the picture), with the barrel facing forward on their strong-hand side.

This is a convenient position. It allows you to use both your hands without the weapon getting in the way.

But, again, in this position, you can't get the gun up and ready because the sling is too tight (if it wasn't tight, this position wouldn't work).

So, the clip and the extra strap length allows you to quickly extend the strap. Voila! The best of both world.

RUSTY, thanks for the straps.

Good equipment and at reasonable price.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:56:02 PM EDT
hot chicks with guns
Top Top