Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 9:41:03 AM EDT
I've seen them at a couple fun shows around Milwaukee and was curious if they really do anything to protect the weapon.  I've always done dry fire drills.  Can anybody explain how these devices work?  do they eject when you pull the trigger?  Do you need to load a magazine full of them?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, I've got a couple of those cute little orange plastic things in my car. I take them with me when I go looking for fun, er... a gun. I'll ask the seller if they mind if I dry fire with a snap cap, and with the exception of one time, I've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yup, I've got a couple of those cute little orange plastic things in my car. I take them with me when I go looking for fun, er... a gun. I'll ask the seller if they mind if I dry fire with a snap cap, and with the exception of one time, I've never had a problem.

+1

Other than a few online purchases/auctions, I've never bought a firearm without feeling the trigger action first... but I certainly understand/respect a dealer's position (esp. on new firearms) about not wanting me to dry-fire one.  I have yet to encounter one that objected to me dry-firing (new or used) with a Snap-Cap.  If I ever do, I'll just buy from someone else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I also use them if I am taking people who have never shot a firearm to the range - when I do a safety and function explanation before we leave the house.  The snap caps are really useful to load in the mag, and walk them through the functioning of the weapons.

I suppose some sort of dummy round with a hole drilled in it would be just as useful, but since I've got the snap caps anyway, I've found it to be a very useful role for them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the Saf-T-Trainers (the "cute little orange plastic things") in all my guns.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Where should I find these snap caps?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd advise against modifying spent brass and using it as a snap cap.  Snap caps are great because they're easily identifyible as being non-firing. Spent brass could lead to mishaps IMHO.

Snap caps have a spring that absorbs the firing pin strike which supposedly keeps the firearm from being damaged.  They won't cycle the action, eject, etc. unless you manually move the action.

I use snap caps and like them for dry-firing.  At $4-$8 each they're a cheap, effective training aid.

ETA: google link
Google Snap Caps

Contact one of the Equip Exchange site sponsors - I'd bet that some of them carry snap caps.

-Mike
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I use them too.  I keep a couple of 'em with my cleaning gear and use them when I function check the rifle after reassembly.

You can also find them on eBay.  There's a guy selling them for around $10 for a pair of aluminum ones and the orange plastic ones for a little less if I remeber right.  Just search eBay for Snap Caps.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have snap caps for every caliber I own.....They are a useful training tool and cheap insurance against a mishap hy.gif
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have snap caps for every caliber I own.....They are a useful training tool and cheap insurance against a mishap

Ditto
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I know dry firing is bad, but how does it damage?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know dry firing is bad, but how does it damage?

Dry firing an AR is NOT bad!

You don't dry fire antiques and .22LR's but it doesn't bother any properly made modern firearm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I use snap caps for function tests.  Nice way to check an extractor for example.  Feeding, etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top