Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:30:07 PM EDT

Here is the situation. I purchased a reloading set for 50Beowulf rounds. It came with the standard load sheet that Alexander Arms provides on their website, but the bullets I got on my supply run are not on the sheet.

I got some Rainier 335 Grain HP bullets. The closest load that I can match them to are the Alexander Arms 334 grain bullets. The rainier website states that if you have a load data for a jacketed bullet to reduce that by 10%.

My questions are these:

Can I safely load my plated 335gr bullets to the Alexander Arms 334gr load minus 10%? Or will that one gr of bullet make a huge difference?

Can I even use these bullets to load for this rifle? From what I can see, the velocity on these rounds is in the neighborhood of 1900. The rainier website says that their bullets perform best at 1200 to 1250 fps. Are they just referring to handgun bullets?

Lastly, does anyone already have good load data for this bullet? Surely someone has already done what I am attempting. I purchased my stuff at Midway and the bullets were pretty much advertised as for the 50beowulf,  so I am sure somebody has already bought and used this stuff I just got.

As of now, this is what I have and plan on doing

Alexander Arms brass
CCI 350 primers
Hodgdon Lil'Gun 33.93g
Rainier 335gr HP
OAL 2.110"

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope I don't get hosed for this.........but I used the exact setup you plan on using.....I ended up dropping the powder 5%.....I was told that I wouldn't get consistant results.....but I did.... and was very happy with the results.......I've loaded about 1000 rounds so far ........
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hope I don't get hosed for this.........but I used the exact setup you plan on using.....I ended up dropping the powder 5%.....I was told that I wouldn't get consistant results.....but I did.... and was very happy with the results.......I've loaded about 1000 rounds so far ........

Do you mean that I need to drop it another 5%?  I have already dropped it 10%.  Or that you only dropped it 5% from the AA starting point?  So I can go back up 5%?

Why would you get hosed?  Is it forbidden to discuss reloading on the forum?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
H53Expert,

I use the Alexander Arms reload data you mentioned for Rainier bullets (specifically, 37.7 grains Lil Gun).  I'm about 99% sure Alexander Arms USES Rainier bullets for their factory loads (and Lil Gun for powder).  When I got my 'wulf, dies, and a single box of factory ammo... I thought the bullets looked like Rainiers.  So I took one apart and here's what I found...

AA load - plated bullet weighing 334 grains
Rainier - identical looking plated bullet weighing 334 grains

AA load - 37.8 grains of a powder that looks identical to Lil Gun (not scientific, I know)
Recommended load - 37.7 grains Lil Gun

So I loaded up a batch with the same OAL (the factory mic'd at 2.12" oal) and the same amount of crimp with AA's recommended load of 37.7 grs Lil Gun .... they shoot to the same point of impact, felt recoil seems identical, primers look the same, they even eject in the same pile.

Conclusion, I think I'm right about this... you know the old saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Then again, I could be wrong, proceed at your own risk.

Shal1

Edited to add:  Yes, I did start with reduced loads and worked my way up.  I NEVER saw any signs of excessive pressure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. that was the information that I was looking for.  I couldn't find ammo in stock, so I couldn't tear one apart to compare like you did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I too use the Rainier 335 Grain HP , I load full tilt with AA data for the 334gr . I am getting 1" groups at 100yd , and am very happy with this load .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I know Wulf50guy in NC has been rolling his own for at least a year now.
Send him a pm, he might have some knowledge to add here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#7]
PM sent H53EXPERT.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top