Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2010 4:33:05 PM EDT
Has anybody ever run an Eotech without the armored shroud?  I used to have a Bushnell Holosight without the shroud.

I am leaning towards getting an XPS2.  I used to have a 516 and loved the reticle, but eventually went with an Aimpoint T-1.  On this new build I am doing I have decided I want an Eotech again, and while the XPS2 has seen a pretty good weight reduction, it seems that I could lose a bit more by losing the shroud.  I will not be carrying the gun into combat, but it is a HD and SHTF gun...

So, if you have done this, I'd be interested in knowing how you felt about durability, and if it really gave you any weight savings.  The XPS-2 weighs 8.8 ounces, and my T1/Laure combo I think weighed about 6 ounces.  Would be great to get the XPS2 into that realm...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If 2.8 ounces makes a difference, maybe you need to put down the cheeseburger and go run around the house a few times.

Really, I see no sense whatsover compromising the durability on any part of a defensive weapon.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If 2.8 ounces makes a difference, maybe you need to put down the cheeseburger and go run around the house a few times.
Really, I see no sense whatsover compromising the durability on any part of a defensive weapon.

Nick

Hey Nick, thanks for the friendly suggestion!  

I am building this gun light, hence the question.  I am an LEO, and have a fully kitted AR that is a boat anchor.  This build is meant to be a go fast personal gun.  DD Pencil Barrel, DD Omega X 12.0FSP, Vltor Modstock, etc.  It is light, and the T1 is light, but I want to try something different.  Seems like if my Micro can go "shroudless" the Eotech ought to be able to also!  

Having said that, I really don't have any real-world experience with the durability of the EOTECH.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
With the shroud removed, the glass on the XPS is exposed to get hit from anything. Leave it on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really, I see no sense whatsoever compromising the durability on any part of a defensive weapon.

Nick

I am building this gun light, hence the question. I am an LEO, and have a fully kitted AR that is a boat anchor. This build is meant to be a go fast personal gun. DD Pencil Barrel, DD Omega X 12.0FSP, Vltor Modstock, etc. It is light, and the T1 is light, but I want to try something different. Seems like if my Micro can go "shroudless" the Eotech ought to be able to also!

Having said that, I really don't have any real-world experience with the durability of the EOTECH.

I might have come across a little brusk, but I still feel that the very minimal weight loss is not worth the increased possibility of damage to the optic.

The T1 has no shroud, and could very easily be damaged, but it's small.

If the 2.8 oz. is that big a deal, I would find some other place to trim weight.

You have a 12 inch rail-is this a rifle or carbine?

If a carbine length, might I suggest a shorter rail?

I believe some of the other stocks out there are a little lighter than the Vltor (I might be wrong).

At least if you do damage the lens, just flip up your rear BUS and keep right on trucking.

Just my opinion, and you may not agree with it-everyone has different wants and needs.

Nick

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There is absolutely no reason to remove that shroud.

Those of us that do have real world experience would never consider doing that.

Of course for an in and out of the trunk bang around everyday duty weapon I'd get an aimpoint anyhow
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The T1 has no shroud, and could very easily be damaged, but it's small.

Ummm... no.

The T1 doesn't have a shroud, or need a shroud, because the thing is built like a freaking tank. You could take it off your rifle and throw it at someone (hard enough) and knock them out with it, then pick it up and put it back on your gun and continue to use it.

EOTechs needs shrouds because they have delicate lasers and electronics that are housed in plastic. There's no comparison whatsoever to a H1/T1.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is absolutely no reason to remove that shroud.

Those of us that do have real world experience would never consider doing that.

Of course for an in and out of the trunk bang around everyday duty weapon I'd get an aimpoint anyhow

Yes... do not remove the shroud!  Get a used Bushnell HOLO Sight Generation 2.   Oh wait... that is basically a Eotech without the shroud!  Never-mind!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

I am building this gun light, hence the question.  I am an LEO, and have a fully kitted AR that is a boat anchor.  This build is meant to be a go fast personal gun.  DD Pencil Barrel, DD Omega X 12.0FSP, Vltor Modstock, etc.  It is light, and the T1 is light, but I want to try something different.  Seems like if my Micro can go "shroudless" the Eotech ought to be able to also!  

You have a 12 inch rail and vltor stock, and want to lose 2 ounces by removing a necessary protective cover from an eotech.
That's all kinds of backwards.
And saying 'the micro doesn't need a shroud therefore the eotech doesn't need it' doesn't make one bit of sense.
Completely different animals.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
one thing to consider also is that if im not mistaken once you remove the shroud you void the warranty. any removal,alterations will make any existing warranty null and void. just something i came across(actually on the board here)while doing my own research into which optic i was going to go w/for my own build.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Removed the shroud this evening on a XPS to add the new GG&G flip up covers.

Easy off, a bit tougher back on (tight), no biggy though.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Then you might want to consider sticking with aimpoint.  Leave it on, you'll need it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What about removing the shroud, and having some sort of lightening cuts/holes put in it, then putting it back on.

It might remove some weight (if you want a light gun, go for it), it might look cool (which is also an acceptable way to enjoy firearms), and it might still offer some protection (which it may or may not need, but it certainly can't hurt).

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not put the Micro on your lightweight build, with a Daniel Defense mount (very light) and then put the XPS2 on the gun the micro is on?

ETA

or just go with a second Micro

They are awesome, simple, lightweight and built tough.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]
T1 micro, short handguards, and an ace M4 socom stock (or alternatively, a cav arms lower).  Carbine buffer!

I've thought about it myself, but my eotech wouldn't be on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
have you considered a irondot mini red dot or something like a burris fastfire
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are so worried about a few oz's why not forget an optic and use iron sights?

Removing the roll bar on an EOTECH is not a good idea to save that little amount of weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The T1 doesn't have a shroud, or need a shroud, because the thing is built like a freaking tank. You could take it off your rifle and throw it at someone (hard enough) and knock them out with it, then pick it up and put it back on your gun and continue to use it.

I'm not trying to start the typical EOTech vs. Aimpoint arguement but I have seen two T1's with fairly large dents caused by very miniml use! Yes the optic still worked but if these things are built like freaking tanks I'm curious what kind of tank were talking about!?!  

Leave the EOTech hood on. The weight savings is NOT worth the diminshed potection the hood allows! These things can and do take a beating.

Ok..Ok...Aimpoint fans...release the stones!!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top