Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/1/2004 5:58:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 10:49:26 AM EST by TopCrest]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:39:38 AM EST
Yes I am. I've been looking for someone to come out with them.
Also need a rail mounted HK rear sight to match. Might even get the sight to bore axis closer together. Could be done three ways.

1) Complete replacement sight- Pin or set screw to barrel (set screw would work easier for replacement)

2) Rail style- bolts to a rail gas block

3) Bolt over- cut factory front sight down and bolts over/around remaining factory gas block

The rear sight would be easy. Rail bottom with the sight attaching just like a factory HK.

You going to make some? If so let me know, I'd be in for two or three sets (until my shooting buddies tried them and I needed to order more).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:41:01 AM EST
Details? Price? Pics?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:13:19 AM EST
something like this?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:15:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 10:19:18 AM EST by TopCrest]
something like this....

the two vertical slots would be to thread a sling thru. it would most likely be made out of steel, but possibly aluminum, havent decided yet. as for price, the best i can say is $100 or less.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:53:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/2/2004 11:54:21 AM EST by viper5194]
DAMN! Thats pretty schweeeet ....... If it where machined steel id be in for one. Aluminum would IMO not be strong enough to hold up to the bumps, and dings as well as the sling constantly being attached to it. Id be affraid of too much movment and the possibility of it bending. dont forget the gas tube hole
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:17:20 PM EST
Some things to keep in mind-

Aluminum expands due to heat almost 90% more than steel at a given temperature. If the gas block/FSB is aluminum and the barrel gets very hot, you will at best get gas leakage (probably OK) and at worse the gas block may physically migrate forward on the barrel unless it is physically blocked by A2-style cross-pins or one or more set screws protruding into a hole drilled into the barrel. I saw this happen last weekend.

Yanking on the barrel via a sling mount does not help accuracy.

-z
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:20:18 PM EST
Wanna get it quoted?

www.emachineshop.com/
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:57:37 PM EST
I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:46:36 PM EST
make them outa steel and you will sell many. On a side note, what are the three small holes for in the bottom of the FSM near hole for the barrel. theres one in the front of the FSB, and one on each side.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:15:40 PM EST
As for a rail mount... these are pretty hard to beat: www.troyind.com/news.htm

Also, as a few have said... go with steel v. aluminum. The volumetric thermal expansion of aluminum is about 12 millionths of an inch for each degree F (~12 x 10-6 per 1o F), while steel is 6 millionths per degree F (~6 x 10-6 per 1o F) -- also, aluminum is much more vulnerable to gas cutting, great for range guns... but not really for much else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:38:17 PM EST
I freaking in for it if this is real
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:28:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By viper5194:
make them outa steel and you will sell many. On a side note, what are the three small holes for in the bottom of the FSM near hole for the barrel. theres one in the front of the FSB, and one on each side.

The two on either side are larger holes leading to the teeny tiny roll pin hole to make it easier to get a punch in there. It also makes it so you can use the stock gas tube roll pin and not some loooong roll pin.

The other hole you refer to is the gas tube hole. i envisioned this thing with the sight tower closeest to the handguard cap, not far away. I redesigned it with the hole all the way thru and two gas tube roll pin holes and two gas ports. This will allow the user to decide if they want the sight tower close to or far from the handguard cap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:36:47 PM EST
How is this going to hold itself onto the barrel? I don't see the set pins or a set of bolts to tighten it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:54:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By SO-COM:
How is this going to hold itself onto the barrel? I don't see the set pins or a set of bolts to tighten it.

4 set screws on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:05:48 PM EST
Set screws and slings don't mix. In fact set screws and FSBs don't mix. One hard hit and your AR is a single shot.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:30:46 PM EST
I agree with innocent bystander.

make these pin on....or weld on...or something...set scews aint gonna cut the mustard.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:29:31 AM EST
Set screws would probably be fine if the installer filed flat spots or divits on the bottom of the barrel for the screws to seat into. Thats how some of the YHM FSBs go on and they hold up very well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:42:28 AM EST
If using setscrews, I'd use opposing ones, not just the bottom and I'd drill a relatively deep recess in the barrel for them to seat into. This would minimize the chance of the FSB moving.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:19:51 AM EST
well im about two weeks out on these. those of you who emailed me- ill let you know when theyre available.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:25:03 PM EST
Top Top