Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 8:47:37 PM EDT
I used to own an Essential Arms lower that I built into a kit back in college and sold it off years ago. I always wondered how those cast receivers held up. I am pretty sure that Ruger casted them for them so the quality should be up to par. I never had a problem with one but was wondering if anybody has any first hand accounts of cast receivers failing.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
nope.my ea has been going since 1988hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My Oly cast receiver bought in 2000 survived my inexpert pounding on it to build a rifle.  It's off dimensionally pretty badly, but that's Oly's fault for drilling the mag catch in the wrong place.  It isn't because it was cast.z
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont drive into a brick wall to see if my air bags work.  I trust people smarter then me and scientific data to tell me that it does work.

Same thing with cast lowers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I talked to Vaugn, the owner, a few months ago.  They never had any breakage problems.  I have never seen a broken EA lower, or know anyone who has.  I have heard of some other brand cast lowers that were broken, but not EA.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
A few years back a fellow on this forum said that a cast receiver he had fell off his bed and broke.  May not of had carpeting on his floor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A few years back a fellow on this forum said that a cast receiver he had fell off his bed and broke.  May not of had carpeting on his floor.

That reminds me, didnt a guy who belongs on this forum us to work for Oly.  And the way they destroyed blem cast lowers was by hitting them with a hammer and shattering them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

new-arguy dropped one in the shop he works at/frequents and the rear strap for the buffer tube cracked, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Iv'e got an older DPMS Cast A1 Lower. Works great. No problems whatsoever. well....none yet....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

new-arguy dropped one in the shop he works at/frequents and the rear strap for the buffer tube cracked, IIRC.

I remember that, didnt he post pictures of it?  Or pictures surfaced in another marathon thread about Olympic?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a local guy who had a cast Olympic Arms Plinker. For reasons unknown, the side of the upper blew out and the lower receiver was cracked on both sides from the top edge down into the rear takedown pin's holes. Both the upper and lower receivers were ruined.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]
This was sent into my website:

www.combatrifle.com/content/view/11/25/

Shipping damage the owner reckoned...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
We can buff that out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We can buff that out.

Some JB Weld or the aluminum welding stuff from the gun shows out to fix that right up.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This was sent into my website:

www.combatrifle.com/content/view/11/25/

Shipping damage the owner reckoned...

www.combatrifle.com/resources/crackdpms1.jpg
www.combatrifle.com/resources/crackdpms2.jpg

That seriously looks like cast iron pot metal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
That reminds me... I need to get busy handloading. I'm running short.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top