Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:36:56 AM EDT
Got pics for it? What paint did you use? Color scheme?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:32:19 AM EDT
Do a search. Most use good old crayons. Some use other things. The crayon holds up okay and is removable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:38:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 10:41:05 AM EDT by topgunpilot20]
I used crayon with good results. Do a search, this was talked about heavily two weeks ago.

Here's some topics:

How can I color my "fire" and "safe" letters red and white?

For those of you using crayons to color your lowers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:41:14 AM EDT
I'll never understand this. I don't make a habit of reading my lower.

My thumb know what position the safety is supposed to be in. That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:43:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 10:45:12 AM EDT by topgunpilot20]

Originally Posted By markm:

My thumb know what position the safety is supposed to be in. That's all that matters.

People enjoy their rifle--that's all that matters. I have them colored in on one of my ARs and like the look. If people like it, more power to them.

Here's a pic of mine--I used crayon:

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:43:26 AM EDT
I did it to one lower. I used a toothpick and nail polish. It looks good and gets compliments, but really serves no purpose.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:49:41 AM EDT

Yup
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:01:47 PM EDT
The easiest and best way to a permanent professional result are the laquer sticks from Brownells.

You just rub them across the lettering, then wrap a cloth around your fingers spit shine style (old T-shirt works best) dip in some alcohol or mineral spirits and wipe across it leaving the paint in the lettering. The laquer hardens overnight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:46:03 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:05:57 PM EDT

It's for the range. Just another safety thing so other shooters know the condition of your AR. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 4:31:28 PM EDT by markm]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

It's for the range. Just another safety thing so other shooters know the condition of your AR. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Not buying it. The only acceptable condition to leave my rifle in is BOLT LOCKED BACK with the EJECTION PORT up. There's no letters on that side of the receiver. Besides no one else at the range needs to be worrying about my weapon. They should be worrying about their own.

Plus, If that were the case, you'd do it to your home defense coach gun too, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:01:43 PM EDT
I don't know about nowadays, but SOF magazine used to do that to all the guns they reviewed.

I liked the ability to see all the markings in those B&W photos, but I don't do it to my weapons.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT

i like white automotive laquer, of which i've still got a can from years ago . this stuff was

never cut for spray painting, and goes on well. i leave it set up for about four hours and then

rub off the excess with a soft rag soaked- and then rung out- with brush cleaner . i do all

the lettering on my AR's , but not so much on other weapons . i also use red for the

"fire" position , but in this case use model airplane paint ( fuel resistant ).
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 6:31:20 PM EDT by KnobCreek]

Originally Posted By 48thHighlander:
The easiest and best way to a permanent professional result are the laquer sticks from Brownells.

You just rub them across the lettering, then wrap a cloth around your fingers spit shine style (old T-shirt works best) dip in some alcohol or mineral spirits and wipe across it leaving the paint in the lettering. The laquer hardens overnight.

+1 on the lacquer sticks. Very cheap, easy to apply. Problems is they're so cheap you end up needing to order other stuff from Brownells to justify the shipping.

PS way too easy to get carried away with it. Just Fire and Safe if you intend to do it at all. Otherwise, your black angel of death will look like a cheap ho-bag. Speaking from experience.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
crayons.....ARs....crayons ON ARs...ouch...my head hurts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:41:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:
crayons.....ARs....crayons ON ARs...ouch...my head hurts.

I thought the same thing, although I know some fell shooter that have done just that. It's probably a good way to do it the first time if you just want to see how it looks. I would think you could easily scrape the crayola off pretty easily if ya don't like it. That said, I may be comletely wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 6:58:45 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]
I used some cheap craft paint and then polyurethaned it to protect it from oil and other crap.

Why?

I was bored and thought it would look good.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:06:22 AM EDT
I'm planning on building a green furniture AR with a MEGA lower I recently bought, I was planning on filling in the markings with a matching green paint, keeping it kinda subdued.
No Red or white...just green, for all the markings. Two tone color rifle, black/green...and hopefully not looking like a "Painted whore" with too much white/red/etc all over the place.

No Expert
Top Top