Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:27:00 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to jump here and my scope guy is gonna be taking an order from me for either a compact acog or a full size acog...and I'm actually liking the reticle features (and 4X magnification) of the full size acog...I just wanna make sure the full sized one won't appear OVERSIZED or look silly on an M4.

T.I.A. Bill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure, here you go. A Ta-31 RCO M-4 on my SBR

Danny
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
whats SBR about it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
whats SBR about it?

The barrel is 14.5" LMT with removable A2.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sure, here you go. A Ta-31 RCO M-4 on my SBR

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40303

Danny

Sweet!

How you liking the RCO reticle?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it. I had gotten used to the donut in my other TA-31 and now I like the RCO better.

Did you see the pic I posted in the Big ACOG recticle thread?

Danny
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the larger 3.5x TA11D next to a mini TA47-2 for reference:

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you make the decision of which optic to get based on how it looks?  Just get the one that best suits your needs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_3.JPG

Thats a nice 6400C!
What handguards are those?

Sorry about the brief thread hijack.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_3.JPG

Thats a nice 6400C!
What handguards are those?

Sorry about the brief thread hijack.

Thanks

Both carbines have Surefire M500A forends.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys..ya'll rock...I've got it narrowed down to 3 chioces which are two full sized acogs...either the TA01 (less expensive cause it doesn't have the fiber optic dual illumination feature) or the Full Size TA11which does have the fiber optic Dual ill. (is a tad pricey but is 3.5X 35 w/ BAC Red Doughnut and IS THE ONE I really want) and or....my 3rd choice which is the compact TA50R-4....3X24 Red Crosshair with BAC...and now I'm left waiting on a email from my scope guy regarding availability and prices...Might hafta sell my beloved almost new 4-16 X 50 Tactical Nikon Mil-Dot to get the one I think I want though.

However....I have an A2 M4gery and this acog will be "Carry Handle Mounted" so...I just didn't know if i'd look stupid or if it might feel funky and/or top heavy with the full size acog mounted high in the carry handle of my A2...any input?...should I go full size or compact?

Sorry for kinda like asking twice but...it's a lot of money to me and I don't wanna pig in a poke for that kinda cash.

Thanks again for the pics and L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of ACOGs on the carry handle. They just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly

Here's my TA47-2 on my LE6920:

Kisara's TA50 on same rifle:

ACOG TA11 on a Rock River build:

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Did you see the pic I posted in the Big ACOG recticle thread?

Danny

Just did, danny and I like it a lot.

The donut (of the TA31) is great but can occasionally  cover or even obscure smaller targets at certain distances

I think I am going the RCO route on my new 20" A4gery project

It will add a nice touch to a tribute -USMC rig.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of ACOGs on the carry handle. They just seem to go together like peanut butter and jelly

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_Right.JPG

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_TA50R2.JPG

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Rra_acog1.JPG

CJan...Thanks..but tell me...the compacts are like just under 6ozs where the full size TA11 is listed as weighing 14ozs...does that TA11 feel top-heavy or out of balance or...does it feel just fine and dandy?

My scope guy can get me the compact TA50-4 (which is the "AMBER" Cross-Hairs)...evidently they're outta red x-hairs..(and I ain't to keen on amber...I prefer red) for $701 or he can get me the full sized TA11 (which is the one I like) for $899 delivered.....so...hows that RRA w/ the TA11 feel in the hands?...quick to the eye?..seems to have plenty of eye relief and the BAC system.

Thanks again, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_Right.JPG

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_TA50R2.JPG

CJan...Thanks..but tell me...the compacts are like just under 6ozs where the full size TA11 is listed as weighing 14ozs...does that TA11 feel top-heavy or out of balance or...does it feel just fine and dandy?

My scope guy can get me the compact TA50-4 (which is the "AMBER" Cross-Hairs)...evidently they're outta red x-hairs..(and I ain't to keen on amber...I prefer red) for $701 or he can get me the full sized TA11 (which is the one I like) for $899 delivered.....so...hows that RRA w/ the TA11 feel in the hands?...quick to the eye?..seems to have plenty of eye relief and the BAC system.

Thanks again, Bill.

Bill, my scoped 6400C certainly doesn't feel top heavy, but you are certainly aware of the added weight. The ARMS #19s adds weight as well-though I don't know the weight of the optic/mount combo.

The top rifle in this pic usually has an Aimpoint mounted on it:

Despite the fact that the top carbine has six spare Surefire batteries and two spare Aimpoint batteries onboard it still feels much handier and "feels" a lot lighter than the heavier 6400C below it.

I can't remember the exact weights offhand, but I can find and post them when I get home.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
CJan...I'm refering to this one...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Oh okay

That particular rifle is the cat's ass. It feels pretty fairly light and very well balanced, despite having an HBAR, A2 stock, and an ACOG on top of it. The A2 stock is a pretty good counterweight to the heavy barrel. Since that one doesn't have an extra mount, BUIS, or taclight it "feels" lighter and swings faster than either of the two pimped out carbines pictured above it.

I'm no expert, but to me a carbine is too heavy (or too poorly balanced) when I can't hold it comfortably with one hand while opening a door, or using my support hand for anything else besides holding the weapon.

I realize that I'm about to contradict myself a bit, but as far as utility goes balance is just as important as net weight. The biggest problem with the two carbines pictured above is that they are nose heavy from the Surefires in front and lightweight sliders in back. The ACOG doesn't really add to the problem though, because it's perched pretty much right over the ideal center of gravity.

Now that I've managed to confuse myself I'll sit back for a minute and see if my ramblings helped to answer your question
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh okay

That particular rifle is the cat's ass. It feels pretty fairly light and very well balanced, despite having an HBAR, A2 stock, and an ACOG on top of it. The A2 stock is a pretty good counterweight to the heavy barrel. Since that one doesn't have an extra mount, BUIS, or taclight it "feels" lighter and swings faster than either of the two pimped out carbines pictured above it.

I'm no expert, but to me a carbine is too heavy (or too poorly balanced) when I can't hold it comfortably with one hand while opening a door, or using my support hand for anything else besides holding the weapon.

I realize that I'm about to contradict myself a bit, but as far as utility goes balance is just as important as net weight. The biggest problem with the two carbines pictured above is that they are nose heavy from the Surefires in front and lightweight sliders in back. The ACOG doesn't really add to the problem though, because it's perched pretty much right over the ideal center of gravity.

Now that I've managed to confuse myself I'll sit back for a minute and see if my ramblings helped to answer your question

Yes they did and as a matter of fact?...very clearly...and is very good news for me as I have no desire to pimp my carbine...I'm trying to keep it light and fast handling yet...as effective as possible...and thanks to your help here?...I've forgotten all about the compacts and my new ACOG TA11 is as good as ordered...to go atop my new BM A2M4gery Patrolmans Carbine...here...

But dang this is gonna hurt....the freaking scope cost more than the rifle.

Thanks again Cjan, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hehe, I knew I forgot that scope somewhere in my travels!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
But dang this is gonna hurt....the freaking scope cost more than the rifle.

Thanks again Cjan, Bill.

I know what you mean

The Rock River build that we've been talking about cost me about $700 to build-and you already know the cost of the TA11

Your patrolman's carbine will kick some unholy butt with a TA11 mounted on top
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hehe, I knew I forgot that scope somewhere in my travels!

Heh

It was "recovered" and put to very good use I'm looking forward to finishing and posting my TA47/TA50 comparison.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]
The "Let me see your TA11's" thread
There's some M4's in that thread for your enjoyment.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The "Let me see your TA11's" thread
There's some M4's in that thread for your enjoyment.  

Thanks for the thread/link/find Kisara....guess I aspired to one of the favorites as far as ACOGs goes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top