Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:07 AM EDT
Just purchased some 223 in stripperclips.  Have the little thing that attached to the magazine and aligns the stripperclip for use.  Any trick, or is is just a matter of brute force?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just purchased some 223 in stripperclips.  Have the little thing that attached to the magazine and aligns the stripperclip for use.  Any trick, or is is just a matter of brute force?

I've found that a little force is all that's necessary.  Depends on the condition of the stripper clip really.  If this is new factory ammo loaded on new stippers you should have no problem.  If someone has taken used strippers and loaded ammo on them to resell, you might get some stubborn ones.

I bought a whole bag of stripper clips at a gun show to load up, and 9 out of 10 of them are full of sand or dirt and are hard as hell to load into a mag.  Buyer beware is all I can tell you...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
For me it was a lost cause.  No matter how hard I pushed I just couldn't force the rounds into the mag.  Even if I was using the end of a table to push the round in was still hard.
I gave it up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I place the bottom of the mag against my chest and pull the cartidges in the clip towards me w/ medium strength. 3 seconds & 10 rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I just takes a little practice. I have been training my nephew, and he can now do a complete 30 round mag in about 10 seconds.

Use the edge of a table or the forementioned chest finger pull. Just make sure the pressure to push the rounds in is at the base of the bullet as close to the stripper as you can get.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

FWIW
YMMV
http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/html/stripper_clips.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found that where you apply the force makes a LARGE difference.

Push on the base of the case, not up in the body or near the shoulder.

....and practice helps!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have found that where you apply the force makes a LARGE difference.

Push on the base of the case, not up in the body or near the shoulder.

One would expect that to be common sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#8]
The little guide that attaches to the magazine is commonly called a "spoon", as it sort of looks like one.

Here are a few tips for using stripper clips:

1. I have a speedloader that really helps. You can buy one ("M16 Stripper Clip Speed Loader") from www.globaltactical.com for $16.95. This device attaches to the magazine. You drop the stripper clip into the shute, and them ram the rounds into the mag with a plunger. Works great, and much less chance of tearing the skin off your fingers with the GI spoon.

2. Clean off your stripper clips so that they are free of sand and debris. Use water or some other household cleaner, like 409. After you use your clips a few times, they will loosen up and work even easier. I tried using the used stripper clips for awhile, but I like the new ones you can get from Bushmaster much better.  These are a little more expensive, but work much better. I have used some of mine more than 50 times, and they still work great.

3. If you are using the green (or black) GI magazine followers on your mags, they are tilting and binding when you are inserting the rounds on stripper clips. Switch to the Magpul anti-tilt followers that are the rage right now and you will notice a big difference in how easy the mags are to load.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Get the loader TomHighway described.http://globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=299=&prd=101
I almost gave up on strippers before I bought this product.  I can't believe how easy it is.  You don't rip your hands apart trying to force the cartridges out of the stripper and into the mag.
Your not alone on this one DADX3.  Most of have this problem.  Beta also makes the same product but also offers a 5 round personal loader for loose ammo.  You will think you have gone to heaven.  Get a couple of each.  Good luck

LCMP05  
Personal Loader M16

5 Round Loader for use with loose ammunition (ammunition not included)    
$14.75

LCMS10  
Speed Loader M16

10 Round Loader for use with 10 round ammunition clip (Ammunition not included).  
$17.50

http://betaco.com/products.asp?rid=1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use 2  fingers  push down no problem!

Now I have had a Bad SPOON ONCE wich made thing ruff?

IMPERIAL POSE  GOOD ONE!!

THE CHEST THINGY WORKS I see guys do it all the time!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Best trick of all. Don't USE THEM. Get a Lula loader.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just use 2  fingers  push down no problem!

Now I have had a Bad SPOON ONCE wich made thing ruff?

IMPERIAL POSE  GOOD ONE!!

THE CHEST THINGY WORKS I see guys do it all the time!!

hey DADX3.   FMG didn't mention he holds the record for the strongest, most scarred up fingers in the world.   If you are of normal human strength and endurance buy the loader.

Edited for spelling.  Sorry FMJ, didn't mean your fingers were scared.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen some people just get it wrong and of course it doesn't work.  You have to get the clip seated in the spoon and the spoon seated on the magazine properly, then just push down smoothly at the base of the top cartridge.  That's the trick-pressure at the base.  Pressing almost anywhere else can turn the top round into a lever that bends the lips of the clip and locks it up tight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I like to use the edge-of-the-table routine. And yes, pressure at the base of the top round. Works great for me -- they could call them zipper clips, it's that fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Grab the magazine with your left hand and hold it upright with the wide side against your body.

Insert spoon on mag, then stripper clip in spoon. Hold magazine tight while pushing the base of the top round straight down with the end of your right thumb.

I find it sometimes helps to straighten the tab on the stripper clip that goes into the spoon first.

LULA's rock but I can load a 30rd mag with strippers quicker.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
      Grab the magazine with your left hand and hold it upright with the wide side against your body.

Insert spoon on mag, then stripper clip in spoon. Hold magazine tight while pushing the base of the top round straight down with the end of your right thumb.

I find it sometimes helps to straighten the tab on the stripper clip that goes into the spoon first.

LULA's rock but I can load a 30rd mag with strippers quicker.

LULA's are OK but nowhere near as good as the stripper clip speed loader.  Fastest mag loader on earth.http://globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=299=&prd=101
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Stripper clips were the pain in the ass for me -- until I got the speed loader mentioned above.

GET IT and thank us later

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Stripper clips were the pain in the ass for me -- until I got the speed loader mentioned above.

GET IT and thank us later

What he said.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I will thank everyone right now.  The stripper clip is new to me and before I forced it, which I would normally due only to break something, I thought I would get a little advice first.  

Thanks to everyone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...before I forced it, which I would normally d[o] only to break something, I thought I would get a little advice first.  

Ok - that's it! Turn in your Man Card.

I was a bit worried that you didn't say anything about trying a bigger hammer, but let it slip. Getting "a little advice" is almost as bad as asking for directions.

Next thing you know you'll be reading the directions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.  My card is in the mail.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#22]
using the stripper and guide take a little technique with some practice ( like most things in life) But once you get the hang of it, theirs nothing faster to load magazines with.. The LULA is fine for loose ammo , but can't hold a candle to strippers. Any class I attend, all my Ammo is in a .50 can on strippers, during lunch I can top off  all my mags in about 2 minutes. and then kick back in my nice comfy folding chair and watch every one ass load their mags with LULA's or by hand 1 rd at a time.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Edge of an ammo can works well, too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I have cut the hell out of my hand using stripper clips.  I used to take a glove with me to use them.  

Now, there is LULA!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have cut the hell out of my hand using stripper clips.  ...use a glove ....  

+1
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top