Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2002 4:38:57 PM EDT
I just purchased a new Colt Match Target Competition and am taking it to Fort Benning this weekend for a CQB match.  Any tips (other than "don't shoot anybody") for me?  I shoot IDPA with my Wilson Combat Protector occasionally, so I'm not unfamiliar with firearms competitions.  Any help for an AR newbie would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome BigDawg!

The following tips are hard earned ones from experience.

1.  Be sure your safety is off before starting.  You can shave some time from your score that way.  (Doh!)

2.  Be sure to flip your sight over to the large aperature, otherwise you will loose your front sight too easily.  (Double Doh!)

3.  Make sure you are 3rd or 4th in the list so that you can watch others and learn from their technique.

4.  Wear a hat to keep the sun out of your eyes and take plenty of water.

5.  Just like in IDPA:  Front sight! Front sight! Front sight!

6.  Take pics and post them here, just like this:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=8&t=141097

7.  Try to relax and have fun.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Know where your sights are shooting! At close quarters, you will likely be shooting low. Make sure to compensate for that and aim higher.

Listen close to the instructions given by the time keeper or whomever is explaining the course. If you have questions ask them.

Know where your gun is shooting at different distances.

Always bring an extra mag.

Know where your gun is shooting at different distances.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what everyone else has said.
Just to add, practice squeezing your trigger not jerking it. Same as a handgun.

Take 2 or 3 extra mags in case one fails.
Oh, and make sure you know where your gun shoots at different distances and especially up close.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, it warms my heart to see FDCC members pitching in and sharing what they learn at FDCC matches. I love it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all for the kind words.  The match for today was cancelled b/c of the holiday weekend.  Instead, they are going to have it next Saturday evening in conjunction with their IDPA match, so I'll be able to compete in IDPA and the AR CQB.  It will be a blast!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahahahahaha!!! LOL! That's great, I could have used that one at our last shoot!
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Any info on the Benning shoot?  Don't know what the schedule is going to be like next weekend, but it might be a good road trip.

Date, Time, and COF would be greatly appreciated, as well as specific location and general directions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
People will look at you funny if you shoot the "no-shoot" targets while yelling stuff like "traitors" and "collaborators"

BTW, I thought I saw you at the Rio Solado Subgun shoot this weekend.  But before I could say hi, my turn to shoot and didn't see you again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any info on the Benning shoot?  Don't know what the schedule is going to be like next weekend, but it might be a good road trip.

Date, Time, and COF would be greatly appreciated, as well as specific location and general directions.

I called on Saturday and was told that the CQB and IDPA will both be starting at 6:30PM EST on Saturday, September 7, 2002.  The link to their website is www.rpcrange.com .  It has directions and their phone number.  The dates listed for their CQB matches apparently are incorrect.  The cost is only $15 if you pre-register.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Sinistral,

Yeah, it was hectic.  Never mind.  BTW, that is MY MP5.  I can't take it home yet (ATF delays) but it will come home soon I hope.  Saturday is the anniversary of my purchase of the MP5.  

Treetop,

That was my first ever subgun match.  I doubt I did all that well, but I don't even know where to look for standings.  We left right after the stage 2.  We had already done the other stages.  I think I botched stage 3 when I missed two targets.  Dumb, shoulda taken a bit more time to assure I hit them.

James
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Pay attention to any procedural instructions.  I lost points on my last IDPA match because I engaged targets in the wrong order.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top