Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 8:27:10 PM EDT
I was just reading the guns and ammo ar15 special issue magazine of the ar15 family variants, and came accross what they called the .50 Beowolf.  It was based on the ar15 lower reciever stock assembly and even the ar15 magazines, but the upper reciever an barrel were chambered for the .50 beowolf.  It looked identical to the typical ar15 rifle and was even compatible with just about every aftermarket accesory for the ar15.  Has anyone one here had any range time with this .50 Beowolf (preferably entry model but not neccesary).

Hows the firearm handle?

Is recoil managable?

What would you best compare the .50 Beowolfs recoil to in other calibers.

Hows the follow up shot time? short, sluggish or just plain non existant from wreching reciol lol

I am considering purchasing this new .50 beowolf but wanted to get the low down on this gun before I shelled out $1800 + options for it
Thank you for any insight you might be able to offer to this rifle
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've never shot one. I'd like one but I think you would want to be into reloading to enjoy it. I've heard it compared to 45-70

Ok, 45-70 is not too bad at all recoil wise, hoping it has better accuracy then the 45-70 though ( though not knocking the 45 70  )
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely want to reload because feeding it is expensive.

Recoil is very much on the 'stout' side of things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The Beowolf upper is on my BUY list.  Just a matter of time,

Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf: One Serious .499 Caliber Tactical Carbine.
Posted on Wednesday, August 06 @ 06:46:32 PDT by davidc  

by David Crane
[email protected]
Let me say right off the bat that this gun doesn't just fill an existing niche. It, along with one other competing weapon(read "Addendum"), literally creates its own new niche. I'm talking about the .50 Beowulf "Entry" Carbine by Alexander Arms that I had the intense pleasure to shoot at SWAT Round-Up 2002 in early November of last year. Please allow me to describe the experience of firing this gun in one word: AWESOME.

The .50 Beowulf Entry carbine launches a 325-400 grain half-inch slug downrange at 1900-2000 fps. Now, without doing the actual math, that translates to some serious energy numbers. Suffice it to say, the .499 cal. is one powerful little pellet.

Recoil on the Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf was about the same as a 12-guage shotgun, however the .50 Beowulf has more energy and greater range than any 12-gauge slug gun. The .50 Beowfulf is also box magazine fed, so it can be reloaded more quickly than a tube-fed 12-gauge shotgun. The Beowulf utilizes a modified 30-round 4179 STANAG NATO-spec box magazine. These mags hold 7 rounds. With an additional round up the pipe, that gives the operator a total of 8 rounds before having to reload. That may not sound like a lot, but remember, we're talking about full half-inch of hand cannon. This gun is one shot per customer, folks.

The particular .50 Beowulf carbine we got a chance to run at SWAT Round-Up was was semi-auto only. It was also equipped with the excellent and now combat-proven Aimpoint CompM2 red dot optical gunsight. The Aimpoint allowed me to zero the gun quickly on the target while keeping both eyes open. We didn't really get a chance to test the gun for accuracy, but the gun seemed to put the rounds where we pointed it. We would have to do a much more extensive test to really comment on the .50 Beowulf's accuracy potential with any level of authority.

What we can comment on, however, is what it was like to fire this thing. I've got one word for ya'--FUN. Firing the .50 Beowulf Weapon System/Carbine is, to this day, one the most pleasurable experiences I've ever had sampling a weapon. It was nice and loud (just like a .499 cal weapon should be), and the gun gave such a reassuring rearward push upon firing, that I just had to smile. While the felt-recoil wasn't what I would necessarily call "light", it wasn't at all uncomfortable. I would say the recoil impulse was relatively light for such a powerful cartridge. A Defense Review associate who also fired a few half-inch projectiles downrange can attest to the same pleasurable experience. We both enjoyed the fact that when we pulled that trigger, we really felt like we were shooting something. It must be noted that the muzzle on our sample .50 Beowulf Entry Carbine was fitted with a compensator.

So, what's my analysis regarding the viability of the .499 cal. .50 Beowulf Entry for military Spec-Ops and LE SWAT use? I'm not quite sure yet. A .50 Beowulf Entry model might be a welcome tool if a unit had to go up against a well-armed and armored threat, or one barricaded behind a car or inside a dwelling of some kind, particularly if the good guys wanted to be able to put the threat down with one shot. For this use, I'd definitely want some rounds designed specifically for AP (Armor-Piercing) employment, although the standard rounds would probably still penetrate most vehicles and walls quite effectively. Anyway, that's the primary scenario I can see at the moment.

CQB (Close Quarters Battle) against a determined enemy or criminal subject wearing heavy body armor and/or hyped-up(on drugs) might be another niche use--especially if they're holed up inside a structure like a business building or bank.

The .50 Beowulf would appear to render body armor fairly irrelevant. Even if the .499 caliber round failed to penetrate the armor, who cares? That 325-400 grain round would hit the target with so much energy/force, it would probably take all the fight right out of the badguy, penetration or not.

What about the .50 Beowulf as a "homeland defense"/anti-terrorist/anti-riot tool for civilians? Well, all I can say is life is uncertain and precarious, so I give the .50 Beowulf the "thumbs up" for that role as well. It would absolutely intimidate the hell out of any mob that was previously intent on harming you or looting your home or business.

For just plain home defense against an armed intruder or multiple intruders, the Beowulf might be workable, provided you a)use lighter hollowpoint or frangible rounds that won't over-penetrate your intended target, b)none of your friends or loved ones are standing sitting, or sleeping anywhere behind the target, and c)you don't mind blowing your own eardrums out(it's LOUD, remember?).

O.k., maybe there are better choices out there for home defense.

I can guarantee the reader one thing: this gun is worth obtaining simply for the sole purpose and pleasure of recreational plinking. It's simply a BLAST to shoot--excuse the pun. And, the possibilities in terms of creative and safe inanimate targets, under well-controlled shooting conditions in the vast wide open spaces of the great outdoors, is virtually endless.

Oh, I almost forgot about hunting. I'm not a hunter, so I don't know what you could hunt with it. However, I'm sure that any experienced and proficient big game hunters reading this article can figure something out. I'm thinking elk or Grizzly bear. Mabe even Bison at close range, especially if you're shooting at them from horseback(I saw it in "Dances with Wolves", o.k.?)

DefRev will post the SWAT Round-Up pics on the .50 Beowulf Entry carbine as soon as we can. In the meantime, Bill Alexander, owner of Alexander Arms, can be reached via email at [email protected], or by phone at 540-639 8356.

Click here to visit Alexander Arms' main page.

Click here to visit Aimpoint's website. DefRev highly recommends the Aimpoint CompM2 red dot optical gunsight to anyone interested in a top of the line tactical red dot site for CQB or recreational plinking. The Aimpoint CompM2 is the absolute state-of-the-art for red dot tube sights, and can be used in conjunction with weapon-mounted night vision scopes. Our other favorite optical sight for CQB and recreational plinking is the EOTech 552 Holographic Weapons Sight (HWS) a.k.a. Holographich Diffraction Sight (HDS). The EOTech 552 is currently the state-of-the-art in holographic sighting technology for small arms, and can also be used with night vision scopes. Both sights are available from Lightfighter.com. Lightfighter.com is one of the best sources for any type of professional-level tactical equipment.

Addendum: The competing weapon I mentioned at the beginning of this story is the phantom-like Leitner-Wise LW15.499 Mini-.50. Paul Leitner-Wise, the owner of the company, actually stated to the author that he would supply a Mini-.50 (along with some ammo) first for a DefRev review article, and then for a "Gun World" article that I was approved to write by that publication's editor, Jan Libourel. I was supposed to receive the Mini-.50 "within a couple of weeks." Well, it's now been over six months, and still no gun. This may not be Leitner-Wise's fault.

Recently, the author has learned (from a highly trusted industry source) that Leitner-Wise's failure to deliver a gun to us may be due to some kind of reliability/functioning or durability problems with the Mini-.50 that the company could be experiencing. However, to date, DefRev hasn't received any solid evidence, i.e. proof, of any problems with the Mini-.50. That said, DefRev also hasn't received any proof or confirmation that there are indeed any Mini-.50's currently employed by/deployed with any federal LE agencies or any branch or unit of the U.S. Armed Forces. We had heard reports that the the U.S. Coast Guard was purchasing a large number of Mini-.50's, but we don't know if any purchase contract actually went through, i.e if the U.S. Coast Guard actually has purchased and acquired any Mini-.50's to date.

For the record, DefRev hopes the Leitner-Wise Mini-.50 can indeed live up to all the hype that has surrounded it since it was first reported by Defense industry sources like AFJI(Armed Forces Journal International), because we believe the .499 caliber concept to be a viable one. We'll keep you posted.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The particular .50 Beowulf carbine we got a chance to run at SWAT Round-Up was was semi-auto only.

And thank God for that.  A full-auto Beowulf woulf be cruel and unusual punishment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah, the .50 Beowulf...think 12 gauge sabot from an AR...that's about what you get from the Beowulf.  Recoil is noticable but certainly manageable.
Swing over to the "AR Variants" forum here and get some more info.  If you're even asking about it then you need one.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The particular .50 Beowulf carbine we got a chance to run at SWAT Round-Up was was semi-auto only.

And thank God for that.  A full-auto Beowulf woulf be cruel and unusual punishment.

Not really......in fact it is a lot of fun

Certainly not the most controllable thing in the world but it's a hell of a ride. I put 8 or 9 7rd mags through my upper on a friends registered lower.

Here's a vid:

gmbsc.com/vids/Jbeowulf.mpg

Mine just got a facelift

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really......in fact it is a lot of fun he
Here's a vid:

gmbsc.com/vids/Jbeowulf.mpg

Mine just got a facelift href=freesites.pshift.net/~vtdefender/beosir2.jpg

Well I wont be able to purchase a class 3 anyways as I dont have the permit but watching that video ( several times ) it seems decent enough on recoil.  Theres odviouse recoil there but that barrel dont climb nearly as much as I would have imagined. That video helped me out alot, thanks for posting ithe
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
My pleasure.

I would suggest just getting a lower and buying an alexander arms upper though. I think it will be considerably cheaper that way. My upper was $600 and I just slapped it on a spare DPMS lower that was hanging out in the safe.

Now I just need to get an MWG 90 rounder to try out(want to see how many .50beo rounds I can stuff in there and try that out in full auto at my next shoot) and some Leitner-Wise 12 rounders
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My pleasure. hough.
Now I just need to get an MWG 90 rounder to try out(want to see how many .50beo rounds I can stuff in there and try that out in full auto at my next shoot) and some Leitner-Wise 12 rounders hr

That right!?! the existing magaizines are used to feed the 50's into the firearm... lol I definately gotta get one now an get me a few drums like the one you had mentioned.  Let me know how many you can get in there ok, thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had good luck with Thermold 30 round .223 mags...they hold 10 rounds of .50beo. Aluminum USGI mags have been hit or miss and I haven't wanted to mess around with my feedlips because I have a number of .223 AR's that I use those mags for.

I mostly just use the factory 7 rounder in the .50

These LW mags should work great....kind of pricey but I need to pick up a couple.

sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user233111/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=21-LW15499A6&Category_Code=A1

I should have an MWG drum in a couple weeks. I'll post if it works or not
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Pirahna,
     I shot one of Alexander Arms' guns last year at Gunstock.  It was a blast to shoot.......both literally and figuratively speaking.  The felt recoil seemed to be less than a 12 gauge.  I have since bought a Tromix upper chambered in .50AE.  I love it!  It's a rush to shoot, has a huge fireball at the muzzle, and it is LOUD!!!  Smiles and thrills.  I chose the Tromix upper in .50AE because I have a Desert Eagle in the same caliber.  I'm already setup to load for that caliber, so the choice was easy.  I feel the Alexander Arms products are high quality, but the Tromix products are equally top notch.  Tony Rumore is great to work with(owner of Tromix).  The .50AE recoil is stout!  It's like a 12 gauge #4 shot.  It'll definately put recoil pad marks on your shoulder.  I hope this helps.  Good luck, and have a blessed day.
           Peace,
               Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have had good luck with Thermold 30 round .223 mags...they hold 10 rounds of .50beo. Aluminum USGI mags have been hit or miss and I haven't wanted to mess around with my feedlips because I have a number of .223 AR's that I use those mags for.

I mostly just use the factory 7 rounder in the .50

These LW mags should work great....kind of pricey but I need to pick up a couple.

sf1000.registeredsite.com/~user233111/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=21-LW15499A6&Category_Code=A1

I should have an MWG drum in a couple weeks. I'll post if it works or not hr

cool, I am greatly awaiting the conclusion of the results from the MWG drums, thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pirahna,
     I shot one of Alexander Arms' guns last year at Gunstock.  It was a blast to shoot.......both literally and figuratively speaking.  The felt recoil seemed to be less than a 12 gauge.  I have since bought a Tromix upper chambered in .50AE.  I love it!  It's a rush to shoot, has a huge fireball at the muzzle, and it is LOUD!!!  Smiles and thrills.  I chose the Tromix upper in .50AE because I have a Desert Eagle in the same caliber.  I'm already setup to load for that caliber, so the choice was easy.  I feel the Alexander Arms products are high quality, but the Tromix products are equally top notch.  Tony Rumore is great to work with(owner of Tromix).  The .50AE recoil is stout!  It's like a 12 gauge #4 shot.  It'll definately put recoil pad marks on your shoulder.  I hope this helps.  Good luck, and have a blessed day.
           Peace,
               Dragonfire52hr

Yet more good news regarding the firearm... and yet theres now a second option ( regarding the Tronic upper chambered in the .50 AE ). Any one have any knowledge in the balistic variances between the .50 Beowolf or the .50 AE? Thinking the .50 Beowolf would typically be more accurate then the 50 AE, but not enturely certain on that one
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The LW mags (new ones - old ones have been discontinued) now hold 14 rounds and work in the Beowulf.  They are currently testing a double stack design which holds 25 rounds but is no longer than the 10 rounder, they also have a twin drum (like a Beta mag) design which holds 60 and is undergoing final shakedown.  
HFG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
www.competitionshootingsports.com/

These guys have what seems to be good prices on Beowulf uppers, so check them out.

And don't forget about the .458 SOCOM as an option for a big bore AR.  Here are two makers of it who are very reputable.  Teppo Jutsu is doing and has done group buys for 458 uppers here on ar15.com.  Check out the one i the EE right now (though it's almost done, finally!)

www.tromix.com

www.teppojutsu.com
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#18]
It hurts...it's fun...   ...   ...   I LIKE IT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Do LW mags work with the beowulf?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the 458 socom the 50 beowulf necked down for .458" dia. bullets.  Anybody have any dimensions on the beowulf case?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do LW mags work with the beowulf?

Yes.  
HFG
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is the 458 socom the 50 beowulf necked down for .458" dia. bullets.  Anybody have any dimensions on the beowulf case?

Close, but not quite.  458 SOCOM and 50 Beowulf share same base diameter but not the same rim diameter (SOCOM is larger than Beowulf in rim size).  Also, SOCOM is 4mm shorter to allow use of longer 300 gr Barnes X Spitzer

M
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The LW mags (new ones - old ones have been discontinued) now hold 14 rounds and work in the Beowulf.  They are currently testing a double stack design which holds 25 rounds but is no longer than the 10 rounder, they also have a twin drum (like a Beta mag) design which holds 60 and is undergoing final shakedown.  
HFG

Weren't the old LW mags the straight waffled mags?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HFG

Looks like it might be time to visit with the L-W guys....

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have owned a Beowulf .50 for about a year. I think the recoil is a little greater than most 12 gauges, but that's a very subjective thing. I put a recoil pad on mine (from a place called Long Range Solutions, or something like that). Pad replaced the factory butt plate and was expensive, but was worth every penny.

Accuracy at 100 yds with a 2x Aimpoint sight is about 2 inches with the 325 grain ammo. The 334 grain ammo was more like 3 inches IIRC.

This is an awesome weapon for Russian boars. Have yet to have one take a single step after being hit.

Assuming you already have an AR-15 you can order the Beowulf upper from a number of places, including Cabela's. I believe Cabela's also sells ammo for it, but they don't stock all the various weights.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]
So is someone going to push for a 35 round Beta / C-MAG ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The 50AE will toss a Speer 325gr bullet out of a 16" tube at 1800+ fps.  I am not sure on the Beowulf, but I thought it was rated at 1900fps with a 350gr.

Whether you go with a 440CB, 458 SOCOM, 499 LW, 50AE, or 50B you have plenty of power to knock the crap out of whatever you hit with it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just checking in to see if there was any word back on that MWg drum VTDefender was going to try out.
I watched that video ,that was kick *ss.
Can't miss that big brass flying out of it.

And I agree with Tony, Any of these big bores listed would definitely put major hurt on what ever the target is.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Whether you go with a 440CB, 458 SOCOM, 499 LW, 50AE, or 50B you have plenty of power to knock the crap out of whatever you hit with it.

Amen, brother
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HFG

Weren't the old LW mags the straight waffled mags?

-Cap'n

Yes, those were the ones built by PRI and they were sh*t, just like their 6.8 mags - new ones work and work well.  
HFG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry bout the long reply time to your posts here guys, had a family emergency that required me to travel and have extended stay out of state to deal with the issue at hand, but back now.

I currently do not have an AR15 and was looking to purchase one soon but will be going with the 7.62 x 39mm round rather then the standard .223. The reasoning behind this is simply because I purchase bulk ammo for my guns and rather buying several different types of calibers, I would rather purchase more of the same caliberhug.gif. I purchase 1000 round battle packs of 7.62 x 39mm Wolf Performance Ammunition at $89.00 a case and includes a new military ammo can for each case, I have a romanian AK-47 with very light modifications to it currently with more planned for it but when I purchase an AR15 in 7.63 x 39mm I will purchase 2 cases of ammo at a time... I like to have 1000 rounds for each gun I own ( just in case some particular religouse group gets any more drastic ideas if ya know what I mean lol )
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top