Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:13:44 PM EDT
I'm building an AR for my father in-law.  Now isn't exactly the time to be selective when it comes to parts as we're currently in a "take what you can get" environment, but are there any barrels on the market that handle steel case ammo better than others?  I'm in the dark on this one as I don't shoot much steel case ammo.  

He bought a bunch of steel case Wolf and Tula as it's all he could find locally.  He'll probably never even go through all of it as he's not much of a "gun guy", but like many in these times he wants one because people think he shouldn't be allowed to own one as a law abiding citizen.  I have some extra lowers so the "hard part" is over, but knowing what ammo he has already, what barrel should I be looking for or avoiding?  I'd imagine any decent 5.56 spec chrome lined barrel should work.  I've put a few thousand rounds of Wolf through Colt AR's back when I was too poor for anything else.  Any better options?

Appreciate it.

CMS
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm building an AR for my father in-law.  Now isn't exactly the time to be selective when it comes to parts as we're currently in a "take what you can get" environment, but are there any barrels on the market that handle steel case ammo better than others?  I'm in the dark on this one as I don't shoot much steel case ammo.  

He bought a bunch of steel case Wolf and Tula as it's all he could find locally.  He'll probably never even go through all of it as he's not much of a "gun guy", but like many in these times he wants one because people think he shouldn't be allowed to own one as a law abiding citizen. I have some extra lowers so the "hard part" is over, but knowing what ammo he has already, what barrel should I be looking for or avoiding?  I'd imagine any decent 5.56 spec chrome lined barrel should work.  I've put a few thousand rounds of Wolf through Colt AR's.  Any better options?

Appreciate it.

CMS

Would any of those "EXTRA" lowers be for sale?  I call "dibs"!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry...I had a hard time letting this one go for him.  He promised it would come back to me when he croaks so I guess he's just borrowing it for a while...
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He bought a bunch of steel case Wolf and Tula as it's all he could find locally.  He'll probably never even go through all of it as he's not much of a "gun guy", but like many in these times he wants one because people think he shouldn't be allowed to own one as a law abiding citizen.  I have some extra lowers so the "hard part" is over, but knowing what ammo he has already, what barrel should I be looking for or avoiding?  I'd imagine any decent 5.56 spec chrome lined barrel should work.  I've put a few thousand rounds of Wolf through Colt AR's back when I was too poor for anything else.  Any better options?

Appreciate it.

CMS

I don't think any of the steel case stuff is 5.56, I'm pretty sure it's all .223. That being said, I would probably go with a .223 or Wylde chambered barrel. A friend of mine exclusively shoots steel cased stuff, both of his AR's have Wylde chamber barrels, 1:9 twist
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
For my builds, GI surplus chrome lined barrels worked well with steel cased ammo. Colt or any mfg barrel made for US military. GI issue new or used.

After market barrels are hit or miss.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless your gonna rapid fire (like 5-6 mag dumps, consecutively) on a regular basis out to round counts of 10-20k in the next 10-20 years.. it is a complete non-issue.    If you want a "sturdier" barrel get one built to m249 specs (double chrome) like the noveske n4 light... however... prepare your anus......
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top