Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 2:44:43 AM EST
where to find a truly light weight barrel, twist is unimportant as is manufacturer.

I want to build a LIGHTweight carbine for my youngest boy....

I have searched till I am sick of the searching.....HELP please.

Pilk
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:41:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Pilk:
where to find a truly light weight barrel, twist is unimportant as is manufacturer.

I want to build a LIGHTweight carbine for my youngest boy....

I have searched till I am sick of the searching.....HELP please.

Pilk

Bushmaster Superlight Barrel

Here ya go!

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:56:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 3:56:37 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:21:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:23:48 AM EST by Tweak]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:21:05 AM EST
thanks bunches guys..... I bet I looked at Bushmasters sight for an hour and didnt find it.....grrr.

THANK YOU

Pilk
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:15:23 AM EST
You might take a look at www.ar15barrels.com. They make a featherweight barrel that is about as thin as possible and will make whatever length you want.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:36:01 AM EST
You can save a couple of ounces going with the post-ban version of Bushmaster's lightweight - if weight is super critical.

BTW send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the AR-15 Table of Weights for Parts, Assemblies, and Accessories.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:03:03 PM EST
Model 1 sells a 16" lightweight barrel, 1:9, NON-chrome lined. ~$60 cheaper than the BM lightweight.

The BM has a 5/8" FSB and the Model 1 has a 3/4" FSB. Only matters if you plan on changing the FSB.

I bought the Model 1 barrel for a Dissy/SPR/Lightweight upper for 3-gun. Shoots good, great balance, not worried about chrome lining.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:26:20 PM EST
Ameetec Arms has a chromoly 16" light weight barrel for $180. Give them a call.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:31:54 AM EST
I had a Bushmaster superlight post ban barrel on one of their A-I uppers. Super! Youngster can make best use of A-1 aperatures too. 'pre ban' style will allow screwing on a comp it it aids him as well. Remember these get hot fast and smoking it up aint a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:04:53 PM EST
You guys are super....Thank you.

Weight is not super critcal, but he does have trouble holding my 16" HBAR up....and wants a rifle like dads real bad....so was thinking lightweight and short.

he is a pretty strong 11 year old, but I dont want him to get too fatigued and start using poor form to compensate..... he wont quit, but he will get sloppy, and I dont want that.

anyhow, thank you all for the help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:58:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Pilk:
You guys are super....Thank you.

Weight is not super critcal, but he does have trouble holding my 16" HBAR up....and wants a rifle like dads real bad....so was thinking lightweight and short.

he is a pretty strong 11 year old, but I dont want him to get too fatigued and start using poor form to compensate..... he wont quit, but he will get sloppy, and I dont want that.

anyhow, thank you all for the help.

What are you going to use for a stock?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:19:36 AM EST
I had planned on using a collapsable stock, as he shoots with mine very well, on its short position, it is perfect for him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:01:29 AM EST
Yes, this is what I did with my daughter, 16" light barrel, CAR buttstock.

Olympic Arms also has one, in SS if you want.

He will not likely feel a difference in a 16" crowned barrel (plain "post ban") or one threaded with flash hider, so wait a few days and get him a threaded barrel.

Also, he will probably prefer plain CAR handguards, not the larger M4 handguards.
Top Top