Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:24:11 AM EDT
I have a 14.7" M4 upper on order. I ordered it with the standard M4 handguards. My wife, of all people, is starting to convince me to get a railed handguard (I have no use for one, but she likes the way it looks better). In case I decide to switch the hanguards, what is a good railed system? The upper will have the permanently attached FS, which is my understanding does not lend itself to a FF system.

I just want the option of switching handguards at will. from plain jane M4 to "ubber tactical" railed wonder.

I think I have read here that non-free floated railed systems exist, but don't know where to look.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 8:30:04 AM EDT by Stickman]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:27:36 AM EDT
Yup, Surefire has one, KAC has em, and often seen for sale on the EE, I think Yankee Hill has one, Brugger&Thomet has one.

There are plenty of non FF varieties out there, you just need to decide what you want. I hav both a Surefire and KAC. I like KAC's a little better only because it actually is even with the upper receiver-but that's the only reason.
I'm not a huge fan of YH stuff, even though there are numerous fans of their gear. The B&T is really nice,but frigging expensive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:33:09 AM EDT
I have a samson it kicks but I also have a pinned flash hider so it was the best choice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:43:46 AM EDT
OK, now I have several names to look for. Funny, I never cared about Railed anything, now I'll have a flat-top and thanks to my wife I'll be considering the handguards.

I like my wife. I think I'll keep her for a while longer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:45:02 AM EDT
I have a YHM non-FF handguard. I had to pound my TangoDown VFG onto the guard with a mallet due to the rail being out of spec. No big deal for me, since I won't be taking it off.

I would suggest looking at the MI handguards

I got mine from Bravo Company. You can get the MI there too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911ar-15:
The upper will have the permanently attached FS, which is my understanding does not lend itself to a FF system.

Not a big deal to knock out the taper pins and float the guards.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:50:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Interceptor_Knight:

Originally Posted By 1911ar-15:
The upper will have the permanently attached FS, which is my understanding does not lend itself to a FF system.

Not a big deal to knock out the taper pins and float the guards.

I take it to mean flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:56:28 AM EDT
If you have to get a 2-peice then get an MI extended rail carbine. Otherwise i'd reccomend a free floating MI extended rail 2 peice carbine because the non FF rails are really tight and a pain in the butt to switch out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:17:23 AM EDT
My Surefire M73 quad rail was a breeze to install. It's a matter of getting out ye olde Allen wrench to take it on or off. I like it, but the upper rail isn't flush with the upper rail on my receiver. Don't know if that makes a difference to you or not.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:30:18 PM EDT
Stick mentioned two non-FF I was going to mention. You can get the MI from Paul at Bravo Company. I think you can use the Vltor CAS-V with perm FS and there are some nice pics of it in the Navy Mk18 thread.

TS
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 1:21:52 PM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]

Originally Posted By BaronFitz: My Surefire M73 quad rail was a breeze to install. It's a matter of getting out ye olde Allen wrench to take it on or off. I like it, but the upper rail isn't flush with the upper rail on my receiver. Don't know if that makes a difference to you or not.

At the moment, I have both the Surfire M73 & the YHM 2 pc rails systems. (As I continue to evaluate and try to see what's best for me) As I have numerous ARs, it is a big decision for me as to which rails/grips/mods I'll be standardizing on. Unfortunately, due to the many fine folks that post here, all the advise that one can receive on ARFcomm usually contradicts at some point. Ultimately, I've had to go the route of trial and error using the suggestions thrown out on the forums as a starting point.

The Surefire as BaronFitz mentioned is not on a level plane as the upper receiver rails. This is the major factor why I won't standardize on the Surefire. Aside from the major concern of the Surefire offering lacking level rails, there's also the added price of the Surefire. Also, when the SF is tightened in place the Delta ring has an odd offset. (The offset doesn't necessarily bother me, but most folks I show my M4 to point out the DR's odd appearance)

The YHM, is currently my most favorable choice although I just got my M4 rails this past week. I'd ordered a pair for a 20" rifle a while back which is on my Bro's rifle now. The rails are nice enough, although there's no T-markings on the rail positions. (Probably to save manufacturing costs) They are simply a R&R piece w/ no tools required. The rails are level w/ the upper receiver rails and the top half of the rails are rock solid. The bottom rail, is not so rock solid, allowing some backward/forward movement when I pull in tight w/ my Tango Down VFG. Not an issue IMO as this has nothing do w/ any optics mounted on the top half. I'm giving the YHM the nod at this moment for solid mounting, level rails & the exceptional price of the YHM offering.

Taking the good w/ the bad however, there are some shortcomings that I've noted w/ the YHM rails. My gripes are the slight shifting allowed in the lower rail and no T-markings. (As these issues are rather minor, they seem offset due to the affordability of the YHMs vs. other options)

I've heard reference to the MI rails a lot here, so that's obviously another option I'd be willing to check into. Since I don't have any experience w/ the MI, my beginning point for considering them would be to ensure they have level rails, the price is acceptable for what you're getting and if there's T-marking. (Obviously the T-marking would increase the price a bit) I'm thinking the YHMs fill the bill for me because of the reasons noted above and I order through Brownells which stocks them. If you're not particularly interested in obtaining rails, the YHMs I believe are about the cheapest out there. (Fobus may be less, but they are polymer vs. aluminum)

HTH,

Sly

ETA: KAS broomstick VFG goes on like a champ on both the carbine and rifle YHMs I've tried. The TD VFG is tight on YHM carbine rails but went on easy enough, I had to use a rubber malet to get the TD VFG on the 20"... You've been warned.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:58:17 PM EDT
For a non-FF railed handguard, you can't beat the original KAC M4 RAS. And with all the new style's that are coming out, RAS's are pretty cheap on the EE now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:52:33 PM EDT
I'm using the Midwest Industries non freefloat on my midlenght and like it quite a bit. The only thing that was kinda a pain was getting the Tango Down vert grip on there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:09:58 AM EDT
Midwest Industries +1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:53:55 AM EDT
+1 for the KAC M4 RAS.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:05:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:
For a non-FF railed handguard, you can't beat the original KAC M4 RAS. And with all the new style's that are coming out, RAS's are pretty cheap on the EE now.

+1

Even though ARFCOM obsesses over FF handguards, the KAC RAS is still an excellent piece of gear. It is more than sufficient for most needs.
Top Top