Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/1/2009 7:15:59 PM EST
I have a chance to buy the above from a friend at a decent price. My question is, being the slick side hi rise upper, are there any problems with the brass hitting me in the face, since I shoot long-arms left handed (he is going to let me shoot it first, just haven't done so yet)? Also, I have seen the uppers with the side charging handles. Is this something that can be done to this, or would I have to buy a whole new upper, and how much would that cost? Or should I just get the AP4 type upper for it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:49:04 PM EST
I'm not left handed but I have a slick side LR 308 from DPMS. The cases are generally ejected somewhere between 1 and 3 o'clock. That said, I havve a friend that is a lefty and he soots mine quite a bit and has never had a problem with it. You should be gtg. If you still have any questions, see if the guy will let you fire a few rounds from it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:29:31 AM EST
Cool. Yea, he's going to let me shoot a couple rounds through it. So, it probably wouldn't be worth the extra money or trouble to put a different upper on it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:46:52 PM EST
I think you'll be fine. If it dings you in the head something' s wrong with the ejector . They don't usually spit cases that far to the rear in the heavier calibers. It would be very costly to swap uppers on a .308 cal gun, cheaper to have a good gunsmith or machinist make a deflector that could be attached behind the ejection port. I've never seen one, but someone really good with a lathe could do it, then the receiver drilled and tapped for the machine screws. That would actually be an interesting project, I may see if I can get someone to do it for me. Someone may offer something already though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:49:07 AM EST
Im in the same boat as you and I own that exact weapon, I have NO issues wiyh brass ejecting in my face, Buy it, you will have no regrets.....
Top Top