Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:43:45 PM EDT
Talking about the casing ejecting from the right side for people who are left-handed, would this be a concern when it flies across your face? Which position does it eject, 3 o'clock?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a problem with an early A1 upper without the case deflecter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Eject pattern of most Ar-15s is about five o'clock.

Never been hit in the face, even shooting an SP-1. It was close a few times with the SP-1, which does not have the case deflector on the upper. Sometimes I felt like ducking.

A2 uppers move the flying brass over enough that it is not an issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, if you do run into problems, two possible solutions are a brass catcher, or a southpaw upper (DPMS carries a variety).
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a lefty shooter too and as long as I've shot my ARs I've never been hit in the face.  The only AR I would be afraid of is the SP-1 which has no brass deflector.  However, AR-10 says he has never been hit by hot brass when shooting his Colt SP-1.  You will have no problems armoredsaint so go buy you one, or two, or three AR15s [:D].  Welcome to the club and "black rifle fever".

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I've only put about 100 rounds through an a1r15 and haven't been hit in the face.  Yay for us lefties right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
15 years of shooting the M-16A2 and never once had it happen. The only time I have been hit with brass is from another shooter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Cases, what cases???  Have never had a problem with AR's, G3's and Mini-14's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no problems with cases hitting me with my A2 upper.  However, I do notice (and don't particularly like) a lot of gas and burnt powder gets blown directly into my eyes on ejection, so I wear eye protection that wraps around the sides.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FWIW, if you do run into problems, two possible solutions are a brass catcher, or a southpaw upper (DPMS carries a variety).
View Quote

I am thinking this will be my route. Still deciding what I want. looks like a Stinger, Mega, or DPMS lower. DPMS southpaw A2 upper. From there I am not sure. I think I want a dissapator because I want the full sight length and think I want a 16 inch barrel. But I have not ruled out a 20. I need to learn more about hand guards. I think I want full float but I don't know any thing about the different brands DPMS has one for an additional $40. I think I would rather have stainless steel barrel but don't think I will want to spend the extra money. Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
From one Lefty to another, my advice would be to forget about a southpaw upper.

The resale value will not be very good. An A2 upper will throw brass well clear of your face. Just my opinion, I dislike Lefty specific firearms.

The only AR I wouldn't shoot, being left handed, is a Bullpup. That would probably leave a mark.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Great comment on the Bullpup, the hot brass would go down my shirt, ouch!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The resale value will not be very good. An A2 upper will throw brass well clear of your face. Just my opinion, I dislike Lefty specific firearms.

The only AR I wouldn't shoot, being left handed, is a Bullpup. That would probably leave a mark.
View Quote

I know that sucks!  I was about to purchase an M-17 Bullpup from Bushmaster until I talked with one of the salespeople there.  I told him I was a lefty and he said he didn't recommend buying an M-17 Bullpup.  After doing further researching I found out that the ejection port on a Bullpup is only a couple of inches away from a lefty's eyeballs.  So I scratched that idea and bought me a preban Colt Sporter instead.  Too bad there was a big difference in price.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a lefty and shot righty ar15's with no problems, but, bought a DPMS lefty and it works great and highly recommend it for lefties.........there are a lot of lefties out there and it will be no problem if you ever decide to sell it....
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well I just spent the cost of a Bushmaster on a custom left hand thumbhole stock for a right handed bolt rifle that will be hard to sell also but I did not have it built to sell. I only think of ease of resale if I do intend to sell the firearm. I have custom flintlocks I have build myself in lefty and they are actually easy to sell as they are rare. Unless I have a crunch on cash I will be building my AR lefty
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Another lefty here.

Never been hit by any of my own ejected brass on any rifle, unless it bounced off a divider back at me.

Save your money and stay away from the lefty uppers.  Then you can spend the money on GOOD lefty improvements like the DPMS ambi safety, an oversized 'tac' handle (badger, PRI, etc.) and the Norgon ambi mag release.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top