Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/4/2005 7:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:46:29 PM EDT by MartytW]
I have a project that requires a gas block of minimal dimensions. Just got done drawing the files for the machine shop, however, for a one-off, it is a bit expensive. So if I can make a few more, we can lower the cost.

Anybody interested in a gas block that fits a 0.625" barrel, uses two 8-32 set screws to attach, made of 8560 steel, and the overall height is 1.21". The LaRue I have sitting here is too big (no REALLY!) as it has an overall height of 1.355" ... that and the distance above the barrel is 0.470" on the LaRue, versus 0.3125" on the ones I have drawn.

If we can sell 50 of these, we can get the price down to about $45 $ 56 a piece. Not cheap, I know, compared to other gas blocks out there, but again, smallest size we have seen anywhere.

What say ye?

Edited to adjust price ...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:59:46 PM EDT
SHOW US!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:03:40 PM EDT by exocet]
sounds like a plan, will it hide the FSB cuts in the barrel ? like the larue ? I would be interested since I'm in need of one low profile gas block.

ETA: I see you mentioned 0.625", how about the .750" ? thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:51:00 PM EDT by MartytW]
If I can get the software to provide screen shots, I will post a picture. Will it cover the cuts? I used the LaRue as my template for overall length and a few other dimension, the main thing I changed was the amount of material between the hole for the barrel and the hole for the gas tube (used one of my low profile aluminum blocks for a 0.94" barrel for that dimension)

To give an idea of dimensions, the hole is 0.630" diameter, the OD of the cylindrical section is 0.750", the height of the area for the gas tube above the barrel surface is 0.3125" as stated and the overall distance between the top and bottom is 1.21". The two set screws are 8-32, the block is steel, phosphatized.

Note that the price was updated from the first post due to a machining step I had omitted ...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:21:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 10:26:26 PM EDT by David_Hineline]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:59:01 PM EDT
The purpose of these is to have an "OD" of the gas block less than 1.35". Why, well, time will tell. These will fit under ANY hand gaurd, are cheaper than the LR and given the fact that the LR sold out fast I would think there might be some interest. And yes, they need to go on 0.625 barrels.

Those that you listed will NOT work, again, we need an ultra low profile. Even the LR lo pro for the 0.625 I had sitting here is too big (as stated in my first post)

M
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:21:23 AM EDT
It has to with handguards. *blink* It's speciffically to fit inside a a set of standard A2 handguards....! With a heat shield in all likelihood.

Now, what could this be? An integrally surpressed gas driven 7.62x25....no....A Mini-Whisper with the Surpressed Colt SMG profile!

Do I get a free gas block for guessing right?

Simon
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:19:34 PM EDT
id throw down for one if it turned out to be the lightest gas block out there. looking for a super light one for my lightweight project.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:29:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SimonTan:
It has to with handguards. *blink* It's speciffically to fit inside a a set of standard A2 handguards....! With a heat shield in all likelihood.

Now, what could this be? An integrally surpressed gas driven 7.62x25....no....A Mini-Whisper with the Surpressed Colt SMG profile!

Do I get a free gas block for guessing right?

Simon

Close, Simon, close. Hmm, you wouldn't be tracking my posts, would you? Keep it up and I will make you send me some Kroepoek (I spell Indo style, I know)

No free block - not yet. If we get enough takers, sure.

Lightest block ever - it would have to be made from Aluminum, not steel. Let me see what that would cost ...

GET THIS: If I am to believe my software, by making this gas block from Aluminum 6063-T6 (not 6061) AND hard coat anodize black, I can get away with making only 25 of these AND lower the price to $35 EACH SHIPPED.

How do you like them apples?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:38:49 PM EDT
id buy one
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:01:19 AM EDT
Marty...I'm still thinking how I could actually use one of these puppies.

What...me track your posts....proposterous! Now where did that Raptor go?

Will there be any issues with premature port erosion by using AL? Will they be usable with 5.56 type pressures?

Simon
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:12:54 AM EDT
LaRue Low Profile gas block, fits underneath their forearms and many others as well.
available since january '05.

ar-jedi

painted and mounted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:17:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MartytW:
Lightest block ever - it would have to be made from Aluminum, not steel. Let me see what that would cost ...

GET THIS: If I am to believe my software, by making this gas block from Aluminum 6063-T6 (not 6061) AND hard coat anodize black, I can get away with making only 25 of these AND lower the price to $35 EACH SHIPPED.

How do you like them apples?

the coefficient of thermal expenansion of the aluminum gas block will be far greater than the underlying steel barrel. this will cause the gas block to loosen as it and the barrel get hotter during rifle operation. one way of working around this is to install the aluminum gas block onto the barrel when the gas block is hot, so it shrinks into place. i'd suggest doing it at about 400'F or so.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:27:35 AM EDT
Might be interested in one made out of steel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT
AR-Jedi - thanks for the pix, I am quite familiar with the LaRue products, as several of our customers have requested it to be installed on their uppers. As I stated in my first and third posts on this topic, the LaRue low profile gas block for the 0.625" barrel is TOO LARGE for my particular application. I like the LaRue products, just in this case, it won't fit. I realize their block fits under their hand gaurd and many others, but just not in this case. My apologies if I sound exasperated, I thought I had stated clearly why I was designing this block and was simply trying to defer some of my cost by offering it to fellow ARFCOM members.

Also, I am aware of the difference in thermal expansion between steel and aluminum. There are however, numerous other gas blocks out there made of AL and nobody seems to be concerned with their application ... Between steel set screws and LocTite Green, I am relatively sure we can find a way to keep this gas block from budging.

Simon - as above, several other gas blocks made of AL out there, with hard coat anodizing, I am not aware of any reported issues with these blocks. JP to me is a bit of a guru on the AR and he seems to have no issue with mounting AL gas blocks on his rifles ....

We can make them of numerous grades of steel, aluminum, titanium, brass, you name it. All a matter of COST. For the steel version, we looked at the numbers and we need about 50 sold to have the price somewhat competitive with the other offerings out there. With aluminum, due to the reduction in labor hours, we can get away with 25 sales and still come in at a price lower than most others out there. Judging, however, by some of the replies, the increasingly prevalent disinterest in expanding beyond the norm seems to be present once more.

So, if you want one, let me know. Indicate steel or aluminum. If not, then constructive criticism is highly appreciated. Fair enough?
Top Top