Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 7:29:37 AM EDT
Looks pretty cool, quick release rail mount with a nice momentary/fixed toggle switch on the back...  They also have one with a red LED as well.  

Anyone seen one up close/have one?  What's your impression?

Tx
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Couple of comments on the M3:
1) They need to be focused (some people like that others don't - I'm in the latter catagory).

2) They have 'dark spots' in the beam - at distance they are significant IMHO.

3) I've seen (and heard of others with similar experiences) that when the beam is focused tight (like the surefire) the lens cap is near the end of the threads.  The shock from firing can (and does) send the lamp assembly downrange and spills the batteries at your feet.

All in all it is a nice handgun light, but not as good for a carbine.  The newer M3X hopefully will address some of these issues (especially #3) and be an excellent choice for a carbine.

BF - Do you know if the M3X will have the LED option?  The LED does seem like a very nice feature.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info...  Helpful.  As far as for MY useage, i'm looking for it for my HD carbine.  During the blackout, (in my usual paranoid way) I was thinking "what if I had to engage..."  Being in the NYC area (not IN the city though, as the bad AR-15 is outlawed in the 5 boroughs), sometimes the local gentry get unsettled during times like that, and being in an apartment hi-rise, it is also a long, dark hump downstairs...

So, paranoia switched off, I'm just looking for something to put a little light on a potential target, so's I don't accidentially put holes in a neighbor...  Not going to be humping through the bush with it.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I just put a M3 on my BM. I got the special from BOTACH it was $80 if you bought the Vertical grip with the rail extention. $189 for the whole thing. I was looking for a vert grip so the light was a bonus at that price. I have said before that my gun is not for combat just for fun so some of the other problems with it do not apply.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want blinding light that stuns a BG in his tracks while you yell " don't move or I'll shoot ", go with Surefire.

If your like me and are just going to use your light to see where the two rounds that your going to follow it up with are going, than the M3 is plenty.

A couple companys make holders for the M3 to allow you to ware it on your belt.  With this setup could switch between pistol, and rifle when ever you wanted. When you needed nothing, put it back on your belt.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I installed a 1:30 position rail on my handguard an use an M3 there.  I have fired it on several occasions with no ill effects on the light.  I would recommend the remote tape switch for the AR; it gives a lot of flexibility.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a failure after about 70 rounds on a AR  my first time out.I guess it was a fluke.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a failure after about 70 rounds on a AR  my first time out.I guess it was a fluke.
View Quote

This may not be a fluke. Who has more than 70rnds. fired using an M3 in the dark on an AR ?
Not me, and I bet not many. Holding the switch down with your thunb while the rifle is recoiling puts alot of stress on the unit, yet using a tape switch is like asking for a problem.

PS Anyone notice the smoke, or is it just me ? Fighting at night using light is not all it's cracked up to be.

KZ
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an M-3 for my Glock 31(357 SIG).I have put around 200 rds. through it, practicing night firing. No problems so far. As far as the smoke goes, it kind of gives the "Light Saber Effect", which looks kinda cool. I made a mount for my Oly 9mm Carbine, but haven't tried the light on it yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two, a M3 and M3 LED.  Both have seen use on 14.5" Carbines, 16" Carbines, an M1A Scout, Benelli M1 Super 90, 870, & 10/22.  No failures yet.

Cant say the same about my Surefire M500 Lamp or several P60 lamps.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a M3 on a full size 1911 .45 that I carry on duty 6 days a week.  If it can take over 1,000 rounds on my baby then I'd say they are pretty tuff.  Also, the battery life is really good. I do have a few issues with it though.  I also agree it has the "dark spots" and my toggle switch has become a bit loose and has some play to it.  But for $100 bucks you can't beat it IMHO.  I do want to try that X200 out though!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a m3 and a m6. They are excellent for short range such as cqb. I think that beyound 50 yard the light spreads and diminshes to much. On my pisol and 12 gauge they are excellent. I have yet to find a light for my Ar., I aint buying surefire. I have been thinking about on of those new streamlight tactical. but have not found a pressure switch for it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an M-3 on my glock 31c and have over 4000 rounds and it is still working fine, I had one on an M-4 with about 1500 rounds and no problems I just needed the light for something else.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top