Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/8/2014 6:25:21 AM EDT
I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with CMT Tac lowers. I was able to pick one up for dirt cheap since the shop doesn't do a lot of business and it was sitting so they dropped the price. I couldn't resist the deal on a nice billet lower. It seem to rival seekins in features, finish and fit.

It is a under 900 SN so I assume they aren't a high volume shop. Anyone have any experience with them? It fits perfect to a Seekins billet upper. Haven't shot it yet but it seems to be a premium piece. I just haven't seen them before or since.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 6:54:31 AM EDT by EdgecrusherXES_45]
It is a billet lower…. What more do you want to know? A lower essentially is a lower some have ambi controls some do not. Kind of one of those things that works or does not.

Nice hello kitty serial cover you have.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:26:14 AM EDT
Thanks. I'm pretty much of the same thought camp aside from a couple things. It seems to be a gorgeous lower but I wasn't sure what grade Al it was milled from either.

I have always had 2 thoughts in that regard that first you get what you pay for, but at the same time I can't bring myself to buy some of the budget lowers like Anderson. I don't know why but in my head I feel like it isn't as good as the other brands. I have NO anecdotal evidence to bck that up and cannot give you one solid reason why since I do t know of any stories of cheap lowers cracking blowing up or the like. They really don't get too much high impact or bearing like a chamber or barrel would but I always feel like if it is that cheap it must be of lesser quality.
I know this isn't necessarily the truth so don't flame me as I admit it isn't the best approach.

I just wasn't sure if anyone had heard of them, are they a top notch company? Anyone had any out of spec issues etc. It was just an impulse buy since the guy hadn't moved it in a while and I couldn't pass up paying half the price he had it listed originally for. I've paid more for Spikes lowers. At various times.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:26:42 AM EDT
They are machined on a 6-axis CNC from 7075-T6 Billet. Cross Machine Tool is a father-son/veteran owned business out of Tennessee. The impression I got from the owner the few times speaking to him is a down-to-earth/humble person. If you call the company, the owner, Jeff Cross, has always been the one to answer the phone when I called. I have one of their barrels.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 1:14:43 PM EDT by EdgecrusherXES_45]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 800Mtrs:
Thanks. I'm pretty much of the same thought camp aside from a couple things. It seems to be a gorgeous lower but I wasn't sure what grade Al it was milled from either.

I have always had 2 thoughts in that regard that first you get what you pay for, but at the same time I can't bring myself to buy some of the budget lowers like Anderson. I don't know why but in my head I feel like it isn't as good as the other brands. I have NO anecdotal evidence to bck that up and cannot give you one solid reason why since I do t know of any stories of cheap lowers cracking blowing up or the like. They really don't get too much high impact or bearing like a chamber or barrel would but I always feel like if it is that cheap it must be of lesser quality.
I know this isn't necessarily the truth so don't flame me as I admit it isn't the best approach.

I just wasn't sure if anyone had heard of them, are they a top notch company? Anyone had any out of spec issues etc. It was just an impulse buy since the guy hadn't moved it in a while and I couldn't pass up paying half the price he had it listed originally for. I've paid more for Spikes lowers. At various times.
View Quote

I have no issue buying Anderson lowers they have keyhole forge marks and everyone I have ever seen was in spec and worked. I recommend them to all my friends because of the cost savings and because it is a lower that works. If you are worried about roll mark then yeah the anderson may not be your cup of tea.
Also forged Al is technically stronger than billet but when it comes down to it again it is a lower receiver and they do not experience very much stress to begin with so kind of a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 4:25:39 PM EDT by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Top Top