Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 9:31:37 AM EDT
I'm planning on pulling my pins this weekend. I know I need the short buffer tube to be really functional but I won't know what I have until I start. It's a Colt M4 post ban but my question to anyone that's already done it is "was it worth the effort"?
I read the tack thread about the differences between good and bad stocks I'd just rather not spend the money to replace it if I don't have to. Will I need a spring also for release underneath? Is the Colt a "cheap" stock comparitively speaking? I'd really like the shorter length as the stock config is just a tad longer than my liking for comfort. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
i believe your sol without the new tube.

no holes
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i believe your sol without the new tube.

no holes

I dont think he is planning on re pinning the stock to the new tube. Also, if it is a Colt buttstock you will need to get a Colt tube or a Vltor tube as the other ones are all too wide.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I realize the buffer might be an issue. I'll find out when I pull it apart tomorrow. I was more concerned with what others who have done this thought about the quality of the stock in relation to the others out on the market? If the general consensus was that it's a cheap stock then maybe it's not worth the time to pull the pins and make it usable. I might be better off to just pony up to a better stock and leave that one as is. Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I have an answer for you sort of. I have a pinned RRA stock, an un-pinned RRA stock, and an un-pinned Colt (just the stock, no tube) I took my pinned RRA stock and drilled out the two pins holding it in and un screwed the allen screw out of it. I then had to hit the stock with a hammer to release it from the glue holding it to the old tube to get it off. Next I took a drill and drilled out the top hole above where the plunger goes in, I used a 3/8 bit for this. The tube the plunger goes in was not finished, it was just big enough for the shaft of the plunger to go into so I took a 5/16 bit and drilled it out to about 1/4" from the bottom. I then knocked the pin out of the plunger on the Colt stock and unscrewed it and dropped it into the newly unpinned RRA stock and screwed it all together. Both RRA stocks are OD green so I took my new one and applied a fresh flat black paint job to it so now I can change my rifle from black to green whenever I want. I hope this gives you an idea of what is involved... Any more questions just ask.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top