Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 4:20:39 AM EDT
Does anybody have any ballistic data for Black Hills 68 gr. Heavy Match from 18", 1:7 barrel? I think it is a Honady. Looking for velocity, etc.
TIA,
Ed
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ducati650,

I have some terminal ballistics info for this load. The results were obtained with a 16" 1/7 twist barrel however. This test was conducted in 10% ballistic gel by Dr. Gary Roberts and the distance was 10 ft from the muzzle.

Black Hills 68 gr OTM (Hornady bullet)
Velocity: 2615 fps
penetration: 12.1"
temporary cavity max diameter: 9.0cm
recovered diameter: 0.39"
recovered length: 0.23"
recovered weight: 31.5 gr
fragmentation: 53.6%

This is excellent self defense ammo, offering acceptable penetration and excellent fragmentation. It is also usually extremely accurate and should make an ideal target/match round. You can get this ammo at [url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url] at a good price. They also have the 69 gr, 75 gr and 77 gr Black Hills ammo which also offers good accuracy and performance. Your 1/7 twist barrel should be capable of handling them all with no problems.

-Charging Handle

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you C-H. That is great. Forest has reported not seeing much velocity increase between 16" and 20" barrels with this round so my 18" should be little better.
Thanks.
Ed
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top