Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 10:49:21 AM EST
I’ve had my AR15 for 4 years now, and the M4 feed ramp cut mod has never really interested me (my rifle has been through probably 6000-7000 rounds without any hickups). However, I’m ordering a new 16” LMT M4 barrel soon and it already has the M4 feedramp cuts, so I now I’m thinking it’d be a good idea to have my Bushmaster upper cut for it. I know that anodizing hardens surface of aluminum, which I know is a good thing, but is there any real accellerated wear or structural integrity loss or any other negative aspect on your upper receiver if you have the M4 feedramps cut into on a receiver without them and that has already been anodized?

I’d assume since everybody and their brother has had this done, that it can’t have an overall negative impact, but I just thought I’d ask for anyone’s thoughts on having it done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:09:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:20:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/30/2004 11:25:07 AM EST by Alien]

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
From a reliable source: M4 feed ramps were orig. designed because on the 28th, 29th and 30th rounds Colt was getting jams (on full auto). The spring in the mags didn't have enough tension to push the rounds up and they were cavitating (causing the jams). Save your money friend.

C4

Ordinarily I would , but don't you need to match an M4 feedramp barrel to an M4 feedramp upper? Even if you don't need to, I kinda figure that it would still make sense to take advantage of it since the cut in the barrel is already there, unless there is any adverse wear on the upper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:52:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:24:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By bigbore:
Dont fix what isnt broke.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:25:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:

From a reliable source: M4 feed ramps were orig. designed because on the 28th, 29th and 30th rounds Colt was getting jams (on full auto). The spring in the mags didn't have enough tension to push the rounds up and they were cavitating (causing the jams). Save your money friend.

C4

Wow..that is a GREAT info, thanks Grant!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:32:49 PM EST
IIRC there are no ill effects from using a cut barrel with an uncut upper, but you may encounter problems with a cut upper and an uncut barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:35:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:23:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By norman74:
IIRC there are no ill effects from using a cut barrel with an uncut upper, but you may encounter problems with a cut upper and an uncut barrel.

If it doesn't cause any problems, I"ll just leave mine as is then. Thanks for the info guys!
Top Top