Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 3:21:47 PM EDT
Is there any progress or promising signs of either of the two cartriges being adopted by the military in part or in whole?  I am getting so frusturated that I could just give up hope and go 308, but that is so much weight.  

Anybody?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well F#@K!

how about anyone making like some carbon fiber receivers or other light weight stuff for 308 AR type rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a 6.8, get one.

If you want a 6.5, get one.

Why are you waiting on Uncle Sam?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In any larger sense "bigbore" has it right above.

However, your asking "...........in part or in whole......." is like asking is it 'possible'. For me to flatly say no would mean  the proposition is impossible and few things are truly impossible.  The 6.8/6.5 is  where it always was with the military - some where around the hobbyist interest level.  Might a few be bought by special ops types out of their special discretionary budgets ??  Yep.......a few.

Again look to bigbore's post above.  We have 5.56, 7.62 and .50 already available to the military.  The right calibers are already available but maybe not the correct mix of calibers.

5sub
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any progress or promising signs of either of the two cartriges being adopted by the military in part or in whole?  I am getting so frusturated that I could just give up hope and go 308, but that is so much weight.  

Anybody?

What do you mean by"so much weight"?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
just buy a 6.8 or 6.5 and be happy wit it......the military adopting one or the other really isn't gonna help you out any......

unless you plan on screaming 'Wolverines' from atop a burning UN armored car while your friends lug off their ammo......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]

unless you plan on screaming 'Wolverines' from atop a burning UN armored car while your friends lug off their ammo......

Ha great movie and you have to admit that thought has crossed your mind once or twice. It has mine i admit it, thats why ive stuck with the 9mm over trading up to the .40. Though as i grow older and the chance of the US ever being invaded is impossible. However i think in this case its more the likelyhood of cheap ammo and a huge influx of aftermarket to support for such calibers.

anyway didnt mean to take it over but the quote brought back memories of my teens
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anybody?

Howdy.  I have a couple I-deers.

There is the FAL.  DSA has some good ones, including some with a 16" barrel, & then you can always SBR if you want shorter.  There is always the M1A, but stay away from springfield's cast parts.  There is the AR10, and the 308 DPMS, as well as the new rock river 308.

There is the new MGI setup with its interchangeable magwells, one of them is for m14 mags.

Then if you dont mind waiting a little while, the SCAR H (308), will be around.

There’s a few things you can get.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
ROLF!

I want signel go to battle rifle w/ both decent terminal ballistics, not too much weight, and common ammo in military and civilian markets(not to mention reliable).  I guess I really can't count on 6.8 or .5 beig adopted and taking off ever.  Maybe I should just get a 30 30.

Shoot, duck behind a tree, stuff a round or two in the tube, shoot a couple, run and duck behind the next tree, repeat as much as is necessary.  No ending up w/ a bunch of empty mags, no reliability issues, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ha great movie and you have to admit that thought has crossed your mind once or twice. It has mine i admit it, thats why ive stuck with the 9mm over trading up to the .40. Though as i grow older and the chance of the US ever being invaded is impossible. However i think in this case its more the likelyhood of cheap ammo and a huge influx of aftermarket to support for such calibers.

anyway didnt mean to take it over but the quote brought back memories of my teens

I actually have a buddy who bought a 9mm instead of 40 or 45 b/c of the UN invasion thing.  I am at least as paranoid as the next arfcommer and so I appreciate his concern, but it seems that if you can take their ammo, you can also take their gun.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody?

Howdy.  I have a couple I-deers.

There is the FAL.  DSA has some good ones, including some with a 16" barrel, & then you can always SBR if you want shorter.  There is always the M1A, but stay away from springfield's cast parts.  There is the AR10, and the 308 DPMS, as well as the new rock river 308.

There is the new MGI setup with its interchangeable magwells, one of them is for m14 mags.

Then if you dont mind waiting a little while, the SCAR H (308), will be around.

There’s a few things you can get.

RRA 308!

MGI?

SCAR H?

time to google
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
6.8 is the hot button item at the moment in .gov circles.  Best bet, wait and see.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Who are "your guys," as mentioned in your reply to my other post about LW?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
You really don't have to get approval from the herd to go out and buy anything you want.

If you want to shoot surplus, don't expect  Uncles Sugar to subsidize your 6.8/6.5 habit. Buy a .308  rifle.

7.62x54mmR is dirt cheap and the M44 carbine is like sub 300 bucks. Handy as hell and it will never break.

Simon
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Build some AKs, their basically a "short" .308.
I'll probably take some heat for that one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Build some AKs, their basically a "short" .308.
I'll probably take some heat for that one.

Yeah! maybe after I get finger extension augmentation so I can operate the safety.  

I never was able to find the MGI rifle that you mentioned, but I did find the MCR by Cobb.  That is an option I guess to, but unless I really want to be able to shoot 9mm and 338 laupa from the same lower reciever, I don't see the point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You really don't have to get approval from the herd to go out and buy anything you want.

If you want to shoot surplus, don't expect  Uncles Sugar to subsidize your 6.8/6.5 habit. Buy a .308  rifle.

7.62x54mmR is dirt cheap and the M44 carbine is like sub 300 bucks. Handy as hell and it will never break.

Simon

That is a damn good idea for a fall back on rifle.  A real good one for a hand out rifle for when the SHTF, and the ammo is friggin cheap.  In fact, every paranoid SOB like me should have at least one in his gun safe.  

I am not waiting for Army to adopt 6.8 just so that I can raid the local armory after the SHTF.  WHen the military adopts a round, it becomes much more commercially viable and the ammo and platforms for it are produced in much greater quantity at a lower cost w/ more accesabilty to spare parts etc.  That way if the SHTF I will be able to raid walmart and the armory and UN APCs for the ammo, and parts for repair etc will not be all obscure and shooting it in the meantime will not be so expensive b/c I'll have reasonably priced ammo.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess what I'll do now is get a sweet 5.56 rifle built w/ a bunch of TAP ammo on hand and if the 6.8 or whater ever goes big I'll get it rebarreled at that time.    

As for a 308, I'll have to wait and see about that FN SCARH.

FAL Mags, folding, telescoping, & adjustable cheek rest inline stock, gas piston system, hopefully pretty light weight, quick change barrel, ambi saftey standard w/ 90degrees of operation, famaliar type AR 15 controls, standard rail system.  That actually sounds ideal.

I think I'll probably just get one in 5.56/6.8 and another in 308/7.62X39 and say good by to the AR forever.  Well, I one sweet AR build for respect's sake.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top