Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2009 1:05:30 AM EDT
I'm having a good time building up rifles and wanted to venture into some Armalite parts like receivers and internals? Anyone have experience with them? Overall quality? Consistency? Fit 'n Finish?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an Armalite M15A2. I love it, the overall quality and consistency of it I think is very well constructed. When I bought it my reasoning behind the choice was because Armalite is really the original AR maker. I have been very happy with the customer service they have provided me as well. So overall I would recomend them to anybody.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Very Very good, love everything I have from Armalite.  The parts are consistant and the fit/finish is very good.  The more I build, the more I lean towards Armalite parts.  They are just getting better and better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very Very good, love everything I have from Armalite.  The parts are consistant and the fit/finish is very good.  The more I build, the more I lean towards Armalite parts.  They are just getting better and better.

+1
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing but problems with Armalite here. Out of spec parts mostly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Just tried out their Tactical 2 stage trigger on my newly built AR10. Very nice. Like it better than my LMT 2 stage.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nothing but problems with Armalite Bushmaster Rock Rover CMMG (Insert your favorate brand here)ECT........... Out of spec parts mostly

What is your experence? I must have benn dealing with another Armalite/Eagle Arms because out of 10+ personally owned firearms built from their parts, at worst there was a cosmetic issue once!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Armalite makes good stuff, I have been impressed so far.
Be careful, there is a company making cheap knock off "ArmaLite" carry handles.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an AR10A4 and an AR15A2 from Armalite.  They are both keepers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Armalite is easily a top shelf company that has put a lot of time, energy and money into making some of the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles for both competition and practical use.

That's not just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Any Love For Armalite?

Yes!
Love...here...now.  

Seriously, yes.
Quality products.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing but problems with Armalite Bushmaster Rock Rover CMMG (Insert your favorate brabd here)ECT........... Out of spec parts mostly

What is your experence? I must have benn dealing with another Armalite/Eagle Arms because out of 10+ personally owned firearms built from their parts, at worst there was a cosmetic issue once!

Oh look, its the Mark Westrom fanclub.

If you take that BS chip off your shoulder and drop the attitude I might consider a more amicable response; until then, GFY. Oh, and get a spellchecker.

Have a nice day!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an Armalite M15A2. I love it, the overall quality and consistency of it I think is very well constructed. When I bought it my reasoning behind the choice was because Armalite is really the original AR maker. I have been very happy with the customer service they have provided me as well. So overall I would recomend them to anybody.

I've had some nice rifles from Aramalite, but today's "Armalite" isn't the "Real Armalite". Eagle Arms is today's "Armamlite". They just bought the Armalite "name" 12-15 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a FCG from Armalite to have as a spare incase I dont like the SS FCG in the LPK I bought from AIM last week, and Armalite still uses the notched hammers.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
my favorite rifle is my Armalite!
Lots of Love here!
since this picture I have upgraded a few things, including a LT FUG, and I found a pair of Knights panels in OD to replace the magpul rail covers.
other than that I really like it the way it is and wouldn't change a thing.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had some nice rifles from Aramalite, but today's "Armalite" isn't the "Real Armalite". Eagle Arms is today's "Armamlite". They just bought the Armalite "name" 12-15 years ago.

This is true.  The original Armalite was a division of Fairchild Aircraft Corporation. Stoner and Armalite produced the AR-15 prototype but if I'm not mistaken, all of the production versions were manufactured by Colt after Colt bought the patent. And BTW, do they (Armalite) still make the AR-180B? Had one a few years ago but sold it before I could shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Big Armalite fan here, don't let the haters scare you.  There are obviously higher quality rifles and parts out there, but for the price, their rifles and parts have been excellent in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Of all the AR brands I currently own, or have owned in the past, I haven't yet owned an Armalite.

One of these days that will have to change

Every Armalite I've put my hands on has been nicely put together, and I'd love to have an AR-10 to keep my SA-58 Para FAL company.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I read on this forum a while back that Armalite was going to change their barrels from 4140 to 4150.  Has anyone heard anything about this?  Another unsubstantiated rumor?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Only Armalite I have but it works great.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing but problems with Armalite Bushmaster Rock Rover CMMG (Insert your favorate brabd here)ECT........... Out of spec parts mostly

If you take that BS chip off your shoulder and drop the attitude I might consider a more amicable response; until then, GFY. Oh, and get a spellchecker.

Have a nice day!

Can you give us a example of the problems you had?? I only have a couple of their guns and I dont get to shoot them very much any more. I havent had any problems with them and the customer service I encountered was top notch.

I am not doubting you, I would just like to know what to keep a eye out for
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a nice day!

I do not think I have a "BS chip " on my sholder or a attitude.  If I came across that way I appologise

If you think I do, you might take things a bit too serious!

I have owned Eagle Arms products before Westrom bought the company from the original owner ( IIRC his name was Glasier)

I do have a spell checker http://www.iespell.com/ It works great when I use it!

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I built this rifle with an Eagle Arms/Armalite lower and I am very happy.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I am building my first AR15 off an Armalite stripped lower. No problems here.

Coolest part about an Armalite rifle is that, according to the roll mark, you can hunt lions with it
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm having a good time building up rifles and wanted to venture into some Armalite parts like receivers and internals? Anyone have experience with them? Overall quality? Consistency? Fit 'n Finish?

My Armalite upper is A+++++.  And I got it for under $400 last Halloween during their sale.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I just got back from the range with a Franken gun I built up with an Armalite barrel. I was extremely happy with the tight tight groups I was getting. I definitely want to get more armalite parts after this. At first I thought I was missing  the target. It turned out they were going in the same ragged hole.

= My face driving home from the range.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Like most AR brands Armalite isn't making their parts, they are getting barrels from Wilson and ER Shaw.  And whatever vendor on bolts etc etc. etc.  

I had horrible fit between my upper/lower and a burr dragging somewhere ( it was a couple years ago)  The person there who signs their emails TR basically told me to go to hell, but I phoned the service dept who said to send it in.  They fixed and returned it.  It then ran like a champ, grouped well etc.  My brother has it now and it is still a champ.

I'll take  Armalite over CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly.   On par with RRA and S&W,   But below Sabre, LMT, Noveske or any of the builds by the customs shops like Adco, MTSN, Denny,  etc
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the history lesson.  No one knew that before your post.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got back from the range with a Franken gun I built up with an Armalite barrel. I was extremely happy with the tight tight groups I was getting. I definitely want to get more armalite parts after this. At first I thought I was missing  the target. It turned out they were going in the same ragged hole.

= My face driving home from the range.

+1 armalite HBAR 20" bbl, built on a rock river lower, an older rock river upper from the EE that fit the lower like they were hand matched, rock river parts kit with the standard trigger, A2 stock and handgaurds from M&A of all places, RRA bcg from the EE, rra flip up gas block, and a cheapy bushnell banner 1.5 x 4

I wasn't expecting much, not much at all- to my surprise the rifle fits together like a brick shithouse, trigger is great, rifle is a TACKDRIVER
I was just building it to build it with what I could find post election, after my shock at the incredible accuracy, I am going to free float that amazing armalite barrel, and get much nicer glass, that rifle became my new ghetto spr

long story short armalite barrel = the win
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I like my ArmaLite, my AR-10 is accurate, and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AR that I bought 2 weeks ago is actually an Eagle Arms, I thought that it was the other way around and Armalite bought Eagle Arms, thank you for clearing that up for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Good to see all the positive comments!  Somehow I get the idea  they're cutting the lower receivers 'in-house' at the Geneseo, IL facility. Hopefully, I'll have one 'in-hand' next week.

My first AR was (still have it) a pre-ban stop-sign Oly CAR-15 that's been trouble free. When I got the build bug I lucked into Territorial Gunsmith lowers and that's the standard for comparison; flawless finish. One TG lower is a  perfect fit to an old Colt slab side 1/12 20" upper. The other TG is hooked up to a keyhole forge mark M4 flat top with a Superior Barrel Terrabratus 18". Haven't warmed up the Terrabratus yet but that old Colt barrel will spit 55gr bullets into 1" groups on a 300yd target all day long.

If the lower is as good as your reviews say, I'll definitely be looking at more Armalite parts.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought this was kinda neat!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
My interest in Aramlite is beginning to diminish - quickly.  

There are retailers that sell their uppers who claim that their barrels are made of mil spec steel.  I had always thought that Armalite used 4140 chrome moly so I e-mailed them and asked on the Industry forum here.  I was e-mailed back by Tim Rooker aka TR that their barrels are "chrome moly vanadium."  Since the import of the question went to the mils spec steel assertion of retailers, I asked on the Industry forum if they mean chrome moly vanadium as that term is meant by the military as mil spec barrel composition or if a smidgen of vanadium is being added so that they technically can claim chrome moly vanadium, which people assume is mil spec, but actually it is not.

They know the answer to the question and have decided to merely keep repeating "chrome moly vanadium."  

RRA has no problem just flat out telling you that their barrels are 4140 and not mil spec.  Bushmaster has e-mailed me that their barrels are made from 4150 mil spec steel.  I expect more from Aramlite like a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
O.K. Here goes.

1951 the ArmaLite division of Fairchild Aircraft corporation was formed.

1954 Eugene Stoner appointed as head of the design team.

1961 With large orders for their AR15 were not forth coming the, TDP is sold to Colt to generate cash.
Eugene Stoner goes to work at Colt as a consultant.

1961-62 Fairchild Aircraft company with financial troubles worsening, Sells ArmaLite to the original principals.

1967 Serial production of the AR18 and 180 begins By license agreement with HOWA in Japan.

Mid 1968 to mid 1972 AR18's and 180's are produced in Costa Mesa, CA.

1973 Japanese production ends and tooling is moved to Sterling Armament Company of Dagenham,Essex, England.

1974 Set up and production begin in England.

1983 Royalty and materials disputes with Colt causes Elisco tool of the Philippines to cease  production of the M16 and acquire ArmaLite in an effort to supply the Philippine government with small arms for Police and Military.

1987 Political and Economic upheaval in the Philippines results in the decline of Elisco tool and the US arm of the company is shut down.  The company is later acquired by an investment capitol firm.

1994-95 Mark Westrom Purchases what remains of ArmaLite, the TDP's, archives, records,drawings, etc.etc. The materials amounts to roughly a truck load.  Westrom's companies are eventually reorganized with eagle arms becoming a division of Armalite.

ETA He bought the whole company minus the production machinery which was in pretty sad shape and he didn't need any way.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Aramlite was my first...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My interest in Aramlite is beginning to diminish - quickly.  

There are retailers that sell their uppers who claim that their barrels are made of mil spec steel.  I had always thought that Armalite used 4140 chrome moly so I e-mailed them and asked on the Industry forum here.  I was e-mailed back by Tim Rooker aka TR that their barrels are "chrome moly vanadium."  Since the import of the question went to the mils spec steel assertion of retailers, I asked on the Industry forum if they mean chrome moly vanadium as that term is meant by the military as mil spec barrel composition or if a smidgen of vanadium is being added so that they technically can claim chrome moly vanadium, which people assume is mil spec, but actually it is not.

They know the answer to the question and have decided to merely keep repeating "chrome moly vanadium."  

RRA has no problem just flat out telling you that their barrels are 4140 and not mil spec.  Bushmaster has e-mailed me that their barrels are made from 4150 mil spec steel.  I expect more from Aramlite like a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

Give it a break.  Do you think if it's not the "milspec" grade, it will melt in your hands?  

They are good barrels, every bit as good as BM, RRA, etc.  If those aren't good enough, then get a Colt and quit yer bitchin.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Look jmart, I'm sorry your boyfriend neglected your "mangina" last night.

If I want a barrel made of mil spec steel, I will purchase one. Just like you can buy those frilly panties that you think make your ass look less fat.  A mil sec barrel  does no more for the practical function of a rifle than those panties are doing for your ass.

My view of Armalite has to do with their being forthright and honest, not wth whether their rifles can perform as well as any other rifle including Colt.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#38]
probably the nicest, most accurate, and reliable factory gun I have ever owned is an armalite.  I still have it, has been a fantastic gun.  I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for butting in to something not directed at you

In a very civil, conversational, non-sarcastic manner I was pointing that fact out to the poster whom I quoted. It appeared (to me at least) that he was unaware.. whereas you sir are merely a jackass
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AR that I bought 2 weeks ago is actually an Eagle Arms, I thought that it was the other way around and Armalite bought Eagle Arms, thank you for clearing that up for me.

You are quite welcome; it's not an uncommon misconception.
cheers-
FALshooter
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for butting in to something not directed at you

In a very civil, conversational, non-sarcastic manner I was pointing that fact out to the poster whom I quoted. It appeared (to me at least) that he was unaware.. whereas you sir are merely a jackass

Oh boo fucking hoo.  Waaahhh.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is my experience. I bought a m4 upper from the last Thanksgiving day sell, and It might be last in more ways than one. Finally found a good lower that is LEO marked, put it on the upper and is the tightest fitting lower to upper I have got.  The finish is a perfect match. Sorry about the shine I got her all CLPed up.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The Only thing i dont like about my armalite is the thin circular handguard, but as i understand most AR 15s come with these and not the M4 handguards. They all have M4 feed ramps, 2 stage triggers and milspec stock tubes. They include a 30 rd magazine, and a nice hard case.

Plus they have amazing prices. Got My falttop 16" for $850 last month. Only thing is it didnt come with a rear sight.  The deal was so good me and my father bought one.

The roller marks are crystal clear in real life, just using a 6 year old 3mp camera
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OK kiddies, lets play nice.

I know... it's been like this ever since school let out or the summer.. the 13 year olds feel like they have to butt in on the grown-ups conversations.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Armalite ML factory upper and an Armalite 20" barrel on a Colt upper receiver, both on Stag lowers.  They are my 2 most accurate rifles.  Finish is good.  Barrels are a little heavy.  They are a little heavier than gov't profile - but other companies call their mid-weight barrels with fancy names.  Armalite just calls them "barrels".  Made for shooting tight groups at distances.  Not a lot of bells and whistles, but still my first choice.  I am sure there are other good rifles out there.  But Armalite builds a good rifle, too.

People tend to get excited if their brand of rifle is not the hands down "best ever wonder gun" with parkerizing under the front sight, etc.  This is an immature attitude.  There are a lot of good rifles out there, but they may be designed for different purposes.  I like A2 rifles and use iron sights exclusively.  Current Armalite rifles have chrome lined barrels (except stainless), M4 feed ramps, a nice A2 sight without cant.  Most are 1-9 twist.  Most are mid-weight barrels - good for range shooting, a little heavy for carrying all day.  If you want an A2 range rifle for 55-68 gr., the M15A2 is an excellent choice.  If you want to bust into houses on drug raids, look at another brand (though I think Armalite now has an M4 carbine, too).

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Look jmart, I'm sorry your boyfriend neglected your "mangina" last night.

If I want a barrel made of mil spec steel, I will purchase one. Just like you can buy those frilly panties that you think make your ass look less fat.  A mil sec barrel  does no more for the practical function of a rifle than those panties are doing for your ass.

My view of Armalite has to do with their being forthright and honest, not wth whether their rifles can perform as well as any other rifle including Colt.

Hey, Sal baby,

I have it from a good source they're CMV (Chrome Moly Vanadium) MIL-S 11595.  How do I know?  I read it on the internet!

Now, man up and extend an apology to your good buds at Armalite.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I have it from a good source too.  E-mails directly from Armalite to myself and another poster on this forum.  

Really?  You read it on the internet?  Must be true and so well known that Armalite itself stuttered, stammered, ducked and dodged.

Finally a straightforward answer to a straightforward question after several days and a back and forth exchange that was akin to pulling teeth.

The Chart was changed yesterday to reflect what Armalite has now said.  Before that, the Chart stated "4140."  That was what this was all about from the start.  Updating the chart.  Ask Rob if you don't believe me.  He and I have been in contact with each other from the start.

Oh, and Armalite can thank both myself and Rob.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Yesterday I sent an e-mail to Bushmaster asking if their barrels are made from mil spec steel.  This morning I received the following response with an attachment to Mil-B-11595E:

Hello,

Yes, we use the Mil Spec steel 4150 alloy shown in the right side of the attachment.

Thank you,

Jim Eden
Technical Support
Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC
Office:  1-800-883-6229 ext. 277
Fax:  207-892-8068

Apparently, not so difficult to answer a simple question.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top