Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 8:40:11 AM EDT
I'm looking to buy my first, and likely only AR15. I plan on building up a stripped lower receiver over time. Seeing as funds and multiple interests are not going to allow me to buy and build multiple lowers I need some help, preferably advice from someone who's handled both of these.

From what I can tell in reading, both Anvil Arms and the SLR15 receivers are quality products. So what things should I be considering when choosing between the two? Or is there another company I should be getting a stripped lower from if it's not these two. Oh, and I live in NJ for the time being so Colt is out of the question.

One concern I have on the Anvil Arms is that it's black teflon coated after hard anno. Is it difficult to get the a finished rifle together with that lower without it looking like a patched together beater car?

I'm only getting one shot at this so I'd like to no go in blind. If you want to know it's planned use. Paper punching, possibly varmint hunting, DCM shooting. This lower could easily be reconfigured a dozen times over.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I just order a SLR15 RIFLE so I would say  Slr.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Reasons for your choice? Who else were you considering? I'm trying to make an informed choice as best I can.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the AA. for a few reasons

1. I read good things about them here
2. Mil spec forged lowers
3. AA has not increased their prices, you can still get a stripped lower for $100
4. lifetime of the weapon guarantee

EDIT: well i guess they did raise prices $30, read their home page, he says it better than i could. Still top notch.

Down side is in reality you are looking at 6-8 weeks before you get it. But for me the above out weighed the wait. Not to mention i was not going to pay $2-400 for a stripped lower, Everything is back ordered these days anyway. I just made my order last week so i haven't touched anything. But i put a lot of trust in what people had to say here, i got 4 complete lowers and 1 stripped lower.

I dont know enough to comment on the SLR

good luck
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I am fairly new to the AR site, I really only joined to FTF a glock of a member.

But recently I too have been interested in building an AR, and my Uncle's brother did recoment AA. I will be at "The Nations Gun Show" this weekend and hope I get lucky enough to find one. If not, looks like I have till 12/17 for the cheaper price.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck on getting a reply from Anvil Arms. I have sent two eamils in the past week trying to order a receiver and I have yet to get a reply
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good luck on getting a reply from Anvil Arms. I have sent two eamils in the past week trying to order a receiver and I have yet to get a reply

you will get a reply but they are about 1 week behind because of the massive amount of e-mails they get every day since the election.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know anything about anvil so I can't remark on them but the SLR-15 looks to be the cat's meow.

These are machined from T6 7075 Aluminum Forgings. They are Cryo treated before and after machining. These have a deep bevel to the magazine well for feeding and feature checkering on the front of the magazine well for grip. The magazine well is broached so the walls are thicker and stronger. The buffer tube threading is reamed and bored which keeps alignment at less than one ten thousandths of an inch variance for proper alignment. These include a Sully Trigger Guard.

Sounds like it cant get any better other than the Lower markings on the side and 5.56 designation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top